View Full Version : Anyone take Clonidine or Intuniv and a stimulant?

ADDspacecadet
04-01-11, 10:01 PM
I'm still in the process of getting diagnosed and starting medications. My younger brother takes just Inutniv for his ADD. I was wondering if anyone has taken both clonidine/intuniv plus stimulant and just a stimulant alone? Was the addition of clonidine/intuniv helpful for your treatment? How did it enhance the effects of the stimulant?

moo4dougie
04-01-11, 10:54 PM
I take Clonidine 3x a day as well as one adderall XR (10mg). I take the Clonidine largely to help with the blood pressure, given the Adderall. The Clonidine doesn't seem to interact much with the Adderall, though I am very careful not take take Adderall close to the time I take Clonidine. That's probably why I haven't experienced any challenges.

(To address your question, the Clonidine doesn't seem to inhibit or enhance the stimulant for me.)

kgloverii
04-02-11, 02:06 PM
I take Tenex (the short form of Intuniv) and Adderall. The addition of Tenex has smoothed out the effects of Adderall for me. I sleep better, seems more relaxed, and have a bit more ease in switching tasks (it's still a struggle). The addition of Tenex had been great.

Sweet_pea
04-13-11, 06:07 PM
I take clonidine and dex. The addition of clonidine didn't help my ADHD - but it mellowed out the dex (on it's own, dex feels too weird sometimes) without making it any less effective.

The only *ADHD* symptom I've noticed clonidine helps me with is restlessness.

hollywood
04-13-11, 10:41 PM
What time do you take tenex? Is intuniv better!

Downix
05-19-11, 02:31 AM
I've been debating discussing just this with the physician.

I have high blood pressure even without the Adderall. Right now I am on lisinopril, and I know I'll likely have to be on BP medicine for most of my life. So, as my Adderall is not having much effect, I had a thought to switch from Lisinopril to Clonidine to see if that would improve the effect, or at least compensate for the side-effects.

hollywood
05-19-11, 02:02 PM
tenex or intuniv is for stimulant side effects. Obviously once you channel the not needed NE side effects ( feelings of being jittery , and the anxiety that stimulants can cause ) then it's likely that this mild hypertensive would make your stimulant work much better in combination. Adhd is tough, chances are your stimulant still works. One thing I've noticed is that while taking a med like this you can kind of take less stimulant , .. I'm not sure really why , but it does have some benefit. It helps eliminate alot of distractions , and it will pull you in regarding focus. It may help.

Downix
05-22-11, 11:42 PM
Doctor decided against this arrangement due to the level of hypertension I was under, and that we'd not had any other ADHD medication tested. She felt more comfortable discussing having the psych switch me from Adderall to something else as a first step.