View Full Version : what exactly does "XR" mean?

NovaGirl
08-19-04, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone! My latest question is this: right now i'm taking adderall xr 25mg (1 per day). I know that it is time released but does that mean I'm at a constant state of 25mg ALL day as if i were to take 2 or 3 regular adderall 25mg pills (though i know they dont make those, but you know what i mean) or is it as if I'm taking five 5mg pills throught the day, staying at the 5mg level?

This question is based on the fact that I also have a perscription for regular adderall to be taken on the days that I dont need to be focused for such a long amount of time (12 hours for adderall xr in my case). If i were to take two 20mg pills on those days would that mean I'm taking MORE mg's that day than on a day with the 25mg xr.

thanks in advance for the feedback!

Trooper Keith
08-19-04, 03:22 PM
Extended Release. It's the equivalent to Ritalin SR, or Concerta ER, etc.

Basically it releases gradually throughout the day instead of all at once, like an immediate action pill. So no, it's not like you're at 25mg all day, but rather that you're at a constant, steady level that adds up to 25mg overall. Instead of giving a large dose that puts you at a certain level, it gives you a smaller dose, but it's kind of like you're popping a small pill every 2 minutes.