View Full Version : The Living Definition Of ADHD

Kriminal
04-05-11, 11:49 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in 3rd grade. My mother had me transferred to a new elementary school in a different school district because of behavioral problems at my old school. I think she believed these behavioral problems to stem from me attending a minority dominated school. That wasn't the case at all. The behavior problems remained constant even when I attended a school with a lot more white faces and a lot less brown and black faces.

Growing up with ADHD was very challenging to say the least. I always felt as if I was being taken advantage of because of my lacking social skills. The attention deficit portion of the disorder caused me to forget simple chores that my mother would give me to complete. If I didn't do them when she told me to I would get smacked. She believed I was giving her pure defiance but I wasn't. I had an extremely low attention span when I was young so forgetting my daily chores and routine could happen so easily.

The hyperactivity and impulsivity are the most notice parts of the ADHD. These two traits really manifested throughout my entire grade school career. This was the hardest part of my life. I would go to everyday just to constantly talk and challenge the authority of my teachers and administrators. Whenever it came time for them to call my parents and tell them I had been acting out in class, I would compulsively lie. Compulsive lying is a very common practice for those who are diagnosed with ADHD. Lying becomes a impulsive defense mechanism especially when ramification is inevitable.

I've taken three different pharmaceutical stimulants since I was 9 to help curb my disorder. The medicine really does help, but it comes at a cost. Through my trials and tribulations of being on and off Ritalin, Adderal, and Vivanse. I am convinced that my brain has been drained of something that is suppose to keep me stable. I used the medications at a crutch for over 9 years and since stopping after I graduated high school, I've felt both anxiety and slight depression daily.

The child psychologist that I used to visit told himself that most people grow out of ADHD or ADD. I believe this is the truth. I also don't believe that pushing experimental amphetamines on children is right. Its a profitable reoccurring drug deal for the big pharmaceutical companies, the doctor who prescribes it, and your local pharmacy.

If you liked this and would like to read more of my writings please visit my website [HERE].
(http://www.educatedkriminal.webs.com)