View Full Version : Wellbutrin side effects the good and bad

loveydovey25
04-05-11, 08:46 PM
:confused: Okay so I was prescribed 150 mg of Wellbutrin xl the brand name and now the pdoc is bumping me up to 300 mg. Do you lose more weight with the higher dose or does your weight stay the same? Also when I started Wellbutrin XL, for the 1st 2 weeks I felt so horny, for no reason...will this occur again with the increase dose? This is prescribed for depression and ADD so I do feel a little more focused for the 1st month...this is my 2nd month I am on it and I feel like the alertness and focus went away...will it come back after I start on increased dose of 300 mg? These are some of my side effects but I would like to hear your experiences and side effects as well with Wellbutrin.
http://www.canadadrugsuperstore.com/products/74013.jpg

metzfanaz
04-05-11, 09:08 PM
:confused: Okay so I was prescribed 150 mg of Wellbutrin xl the brand name and now the pdoc is bumping me up to 300 mg. Do you lose more weight with the higher dose or does your weight stay the same? Also when I started Wellbutrin XL, for the 1st 2 weeks I felt so horny, for no reason...will this occur again with the increase dose? This is prescribed for depression and ADD so I do feel a little more focused for the 1st month...this is my 2nd month I am on it and I feel like the alertness and focus went away...will it come back after I start on increased dose of 300 mg? These are some of my side effects but I would like to hear your experiences and side effects as well with Wellbutrin.

Holy crap, get my wife these ASAP. On the double...

Actually, I have no idea about it. :p

anonymouslyadd
04-05-11, 09:45 PM
I'm taking 300mgs now. I love it. I have more control over my mind and am able to stave off those depressing moments. I think it helps me manage my anxiety a little better. I will never go off it.

I don't know of any side effects.

loveydovey25
04-05-11, 09:51 PM
I'm taking 300mgs now. I love it. I have more control over my mind and am able to stave off those depressing moments. I think it helps me manage my anxiety a little better. I will never go off it.

I don't know of any side effects.

Hey! Did you lose any weight on it? or gain focus...Idk my pdoc said it's like a stimulant but I feel like it's nowhere near the stimulant I was taking :( ...Look's like someone's shy, show your face anonymouslyadd!!! :)

anonymouslyadd
04-05-11, 11:48 PM
Hey! Did you lose any weight on it? or gain focus...Idk my pdoc said it's like a stimulant but I feel like it's nowhere near the stimulant I was taking :( ...Look's like someone's shy, show your face anonymouslyadd!!! :)

The FIRST time I took it (just 100mg) I got a jolt and was able to focus in an amazing way. That has since passed. I only had it one night. I don't know that it should be your primary ADD med. I'm not an expert though.

Why would I want you to see my face? I'm anonymous.:p

corbykins
04-06-11, 01:52 PM
as far as my knowledge goes these meds cant make you lose or gain weight. cause you have control over how much you eat and exercise and adjust it to your metabolism. wellbutrin isnt really like a stimulant it has many of the same side effects and supposedly helps with attention but it also helps depression. it helped me feel less depressed didnt do much for my attention i already take a stimulant but its not very effective for me right now the side effects of it are just too much at the dose i need to get anything good from it. but my other problem with wellbutrin was it made me sweat a lot and much more anxious. i was always having it sit myself down and put my head down and just breathe and try to clear my mind a bit. it seems wellbutrin either works or it doesnt there isnt much playing with the dose because theres really not much to play with.lol

hope i helped you some if you have any other questions just ask :)

Ms.Maddbord
04-18-11, 10:09 PM
how's it going on the wb? i am on 36 mg concerta for a couple of weeks and added wb today..i expect good results,hopefully my libido will return...:)

aarondev
04-21-11, 04:42 PM
If you had the positive benefits leave, they should start back with the increased dose. But that's not a certainty that they'll stay. You can get bumped up to 450 for XL, but I think that's the highest you go.

Does anyone try splitting their dose, i.e. 150 in the morning, 150 in the afternoon? I've been on it for 2.5wks now (with 300 for the second week on) and have found that a straight 300 isn't actually helpful. I overlook basic stuff that I wouldn't ordinarily although I do have somewhat of an elevated mood. I go up to 450 next week and am told by my pdoc its a drug to wait out for 6-8 wks before quitting...

Ms. Maddbord. Are you saying Concerta took away from you libido? I ask as its unusual.

To whomever: Stims work about 60% of the time; and its worth noting the non-new versions (all but Concerta & Vyvanse) are MUCH more sensitive to Citrus...

mildadhd
04-22-11, 03:17 AM

I take Wellbutrin with ritalin(SR)
Dry mouth sometimes,
I was extra horny, for a couple of weeks when I first started taking Wellbutrin.
When I went from 150 mg to 300 mg,
(150 mg in the morning and another 150 mg eight hours later.)
I did not notice any difference in strength, except that it lasted longer.
Might of even lessened the hornyness when adding 150mg more in the afternoon, (but that is just a guess)

I use Wellbutrin for Anxiety.

Also boosts my dopamine a little more, giving me a little better focus.
I find I reach for books more, with Wellbutrin and Ritalin(SR), together.
But for me, Wellbutrin does not replace ritalin(SR) for AD(H)D.

G-B

Pallet40
05-03-11, 06:58 PM
For any ADDers who JUST take Wellbutrin: (btw lovey dovey - most stimulants do that (make you horny) its just the side of your brain thats being repressed waking up (you'll find yourself more horny as they wear off at the end of the day) do you find it makes your more apathetic? Do you find yourself caring less about what people think of you? I'm thinking about taking it just to help my ADD a LITTLE bit (which I mostly manage through behavior modification) and to help my anxiety which goes insane when i'm in relationships. The cost I fear is that it will hurt my social relationships (make my ADD worse and hence, me more annoying).

Sephevan
05-05-11, 03:14 AM
I take 150mg in the morning. It has really done a lot for my depression and anxiety. I just think more clearly and reasonably. My libido is the best its been since I started feeling depressed a couple years ago... The Mrs. likes that part. :P
It definitely never felt like a stimulant to me, though that could be the low dose. If anything, it makes me drowsy. And although I feel calmer, I certainly havn't noticed any difference in attentiveness or impulsiveness. :/

Hathor
06-10-11, 03:01 AM
I am at day17 on Brupopion XL, was taking 150mg to start and went to 300mg on day 14.

Interesting that the OP loveydovey25 and some of the people who responded felt more alert and focused early on with welbutrin. My main side effect so far has been the huge increase in my add symptoms. It is way out of hand, even surfing the net is difficult, I go to my bookmarks and nearly every time I cant remember what bookmark I wanted, and I often close my browser when I am trying to do something else. I am hoping this is the "storm before the calm" and that after the welbutrin starts working it will help with my focus and attention. The brain fog problem was going away after about 10 days, but came back when I went to 300MG.

I think today was the first day that I am getting some beneficial effects, and the brain fog is much better today, but still significantly worse than usual

425runner
06-10-11, 10:02 PM
I take 150 mf of Wellbutrin XL at 5 am and another 150 mg at noon. It has done wonders for my depression/anxiety but I get horrible headaches. It's forcing me to take 4 Tylenol/day which I dont think is healthy in the long run...so I'll be cutting back to just 150 mg tomorrow.

I wish it'd help me to lose weight...but no :(

ChillMike04
06-25-11, 07:23 PM
wellbutrin helps me with most of my add symptoms :)

ChillMike04
06-25-11, 07:25 PM
funny but wellbutrin made me gain weight the first month then the 2nd and 3rd months i lost all of it and then some. it works for weight loss, just give it some more time.

nolagirl70
07-04-11, 12:21 AM
http://www.bupropion.com/wonderwell/index.html

article about the pro sexual side effects of wellbutrin with cited studies.

ADDisme2010
07-11-11, 10:08 PM
occassional nausea.
Infrequent headaches.

More relaxed, calmer
Can concentrate better
Less depressed, less anxiety
Better able to function in general

stones
07-16-11, 05:20 PM
For me
-Increased skin sensitivity to abrasion, kinda like dry skin but not itchy and my skin appears fine.

-Libido has not seemed to increase, I don't want it anymore than I did before but I can definitely say that It has increased my animal passion during the act, my wife is very happy about this.

No other side effects

aarondev
07-19-11, 03:44 AM
I started taking Welbutrin XL come to think of it and then switched to the generic I'm now on. Its funny that I forgot this but I think the brand was MUCH more helpful.

When I started I was also taking Strattera so this I've tried to replace that with. Lately I'm experiencing a LOT of brain fog and as a result I'm just dithering and inactive. I don't really 'get down' to anything (Strattera gave a lot of motivation). And the sociability help that the Strattera gave is gone, too.

The main thing I find that is helping is that the BupXL is that I can sort of feel like a robot. I mean, this is an improvement over what is normally a depressive downcast mood.

But the ADD impact is missing.

425runner
08-02-11, 09:36 PM
Pros - more calm, more energy to get through the day, improved concentration

Cons - dry skin, cracked lips (even though I drink a gallon of water/day), doesn't last all day and doesn't help as much as I expected. Couldn't just take this w/out stims

Jshect
12-21-11, 02:12 AM
I was taking welbutrin by itself with mood stabilizers and it did nothing. The Pdoc added 7.5 mg of Deplin and I gradually noticed a huge boost but then that went away so he upped the dosage to 15 mg and gradually my energy came back and then all of a sudden one day I awoken and boom my energy was through the roof. I went from sleeping 10-14 hours a night to 5-8 hours. I may have bipolar II though, and I think I have SCT. Unfortunately the Welbutrin and Deplin seemed to have turned me from ADD-PI SCT to ADHD because it has not improved my focus tremendously. I am still desperately searching for something that will improve my attention.

hollywood
12-21-11, 04:12 PM
so basically I'm not the only person who feels like a retarded robot on wellbutrin. Correct me if I'm wrong here , but I kind of just realized the depression that I suffer from if I get is basically my mind wandering and getting stimulation from all sorts of idea that may intrigue me any specific day. I am driven to stimulation and like the intrigue of discovery , so when I don't take wellbutrin it seems like I wear down myself. With wellbutrin I feel like robot, I guess there is no definite winner here. I say with wellbutrin is more effective because I am always jumping my mind into something of no concern without wellbutrin. Now, without a job , I'd probably never need wellbutrin and I'd probably be more personable and be able to learn and process better. Ah ...the free mind, but things don't work that way unfortunately.

John Quigley I
06-10-16, 01:51 AM
Psychiatry and psychology is new for me. I'm 33. No one payed attention. Now the results are great. ADD. First they prescribed me concerta (first 36, than 76, up to 144), which increased my psychotic notions, raising anxious notions. Risperidon (4 mg, up to 8 mg) was prescribed to suppress anxiety. This combo worked great but some kind of crash followed. Now I'm on Welltrubin (300 mg) and it works great. My legendary libido is back. I can concentrate on books, work, with more calmth and focus than ever. Yet, cause I raise in the morning at 06 it brings about bouts of anxiety during mid day, when everybody else's motor is just starting to run I guess, for which I now take Xanax (1mg in the morning, 2mg in the afternoon, 1mg at night). Works well. So, my recommendition would be: Welltrubin and Xanax, and when you're dizzy in the morning from the Xanax you take at night, just take a little Concerta (76 mg) and Welltrubin (300 mg) and your back on track. I must add that I stopped drinking alcohol for almost half a year now, and yeah, still smoke, quite a lot actually, about 10 to 12 cigs a day. Yet, I work out at home to keep the whole thing in balance.

Little Nut
06-10-16, 11:06 AM
Psychiatry and psychology is new for me. I'm 33. No one payed attention. Now the results are great. ADD. First they prescribed me concerta (first 36, than 76, which i myself raised to 144), which increased my psychotic notions, raising anxious notions. Risperidon (4 mg, but raised it myself to 8 mg) was prescribed to suppress anxiety. This combo worked great but some kind of crash followed. Now I'm on Welltrubin (300 mg) and it works great. My legendary libido is back. I can concentrate on books, work, with more calmth and focus than ever. Yet, cause I raise in the morning at 06 it brings about bouts of anxiety during mid day, when everybody else's motor is just starting to run I guess, for which I now take Xanax (1mg in the morning, 2mg in the afternoon, 1mg at night). Works well. So, my recommendition would be: Welltrubin and Xanax, and when you're dizzy in the morning from the Xanax you take at night, just take a little Concerta (76 mg) and Welltrubin (300 mg) and your back on track. I must add that I stopped drinking alcohol for almost half a year now, and yeah, still smoke, quite a lot actually, about 10 to 12 cigs a day. Yet, I work out at home to keep the whole thing in balance.

Hey JQ, Welcome to the forums. I want to point out that the post you replied to is 5yrs old. It would be a better idea to just start a new post.

As for your post itself, I have no experience with the meds you're taking, but it sounds like you're juggling alot of balls between your symptoms and the meds. I think if you are going to smoke, 10-12 day is rather low imo, but then again when I smoked it was 3 packs/day. I believe I was self-medicating with the cigs and when I quit it allowed problems to come to the surface. Maybe something for you to watch out for if you quit. Regards, -LN