View Full Version : ADD and High Protein Diet?

gypsyc2000
04-09-11, 11:40 AM
Hey there,
I am an inattentive ADD and I'm looking for things that I can do to help with my ADD. I am on strattera but I don't know if it's working or not. So, I'm looking into other things to help. I was on Dr. Amen's site and he recommended a high protein diet. Has anybody have any experience with this? Did it help with your ADD symptoms? Any side effects? I mean, I'm really confused. I heard some people say they did well on cutting out sugar, some people did well by going vegetarian, or following the glycemix index. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Anyways, I'm thinking about changing my diet to help with my ADD symptoms and to help with my energy levels. I mean, I think because of my drug cocktail, I sleep 12 hours a day. Not good. I could use to knock a few pounds off too. I'm also a full time college student, so I don't have a lot of money to spend on food. So, if anybody out there has any advice on what to do or how to eat to help with my ADD, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Kasechka
04-10-11, 01:10 AM
I know this is a different topic, but regular vigorous exercise that makes you sweat will do everything to boost your energy and mood and concentration and general brain power. Run on study breaks or in the morning--it doesn't cost a thing.

Yes, cutting out sugar, white flour potatoes white rice and junk will help you too (it has helped me).

nomannomad
04-10-11, 09:27 PM
I'd start discussing nutrition by saying even the scientists are confused. It really isn't easy to be certain or even give recommendations about food and what to eat.

What has helped me is keeping the sugars and starches to a minimum, so no cakes and cookies and chips unless it is a special occasion. I do eat more protein, especially at breakfast time and that seems to help, especially on days where the meds (currently concerta, formerly adderall) keep my appetite low. And breakfast is easy because the higher protein foods like eggs and to a lesser degree sausage are usually cheap and relatively easy to fix. For other meals I try to eat more protein, especially things that relatively easy to cook and a little cheaper like roast chicken or meatloaf. I also try to get an ok amount of fruits and vegetables.

Not sure how much of that is helpful, but there does seem to be some consensus around extra protein helping with meds, especially if that protein comes with breakfast. And breakfast is probably the easiest and cheapest way to up your protein.

Good luck!