View Full Version : feeling like a lost cause

mLm221
04-14-11, 01:23 AM
I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, so my apologies if it's misplaced.

I was recently diagnosed with a "classic case" of ADD. For years I've felt like it was a big problem in my life. My grades have dropped dramatically since the 6th grade (I'm 17 now), ranging from A's to F's despite a constant struggle to concentrate. After doing some research over the course of a few months I came to the decision that Adderall would solve all my problems. I figured it would not only improve my concentration/grades, but also boost my mood and energy as well as prevent my constant over-eating and fatigue.

After years of waiting for some sort of treatment, my psychiatrist prescribed me 5mg of Adderall, which I thought was an extremely low dose. After more than a month with seemingly zero improvement, I started taking up to six pills a day to equal 30mg. Aside from the occasional loss of appetite, there was virtually no improvement in terms of school and concentration. I'm now on Concerta - taking one to two 18mg pills a day. I still can't discern any noticeable improvements and my (unrealistic, I'm sure) expectations have caused severe depression. I feel like a lost cause, and I'm wondering if I should just switch psychiatrists in order to obtain a higher dose of either Adderall or Concerta? Or should I try every medication across the rainbow before going back to those two? I'm at a loss here and feeling quite overwhelmed. I'm also wondering if either of these medications can cause irritability. Although it could just be me...

tired1823
04-14-11, 01:27 AM
Don't give up. If this medication doesn't work for you, maybe you could try something else. There's lots of information about medication on these forums as well. But, don't be despondent. It's never as bad as you think. Lots of successful people have learning dissabilities. This is a scene worth watching. Albie Manzo eventually gets into a better law school and he did lots of interviews on his learning dissability that you can read.

I just came across this video: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewi ... law-school

Details:
-1st year in law school was rough
-1 D+, 1.93GPA
-has ADD
-school asked him not to return. after trying to explain condition, school said legal career wasn't in the cards for someone with this kind of issue.

truth is I know a really succesful lawyer with adhd. He has such a severe case that his parents thought he was autistic but he's succesful in spite of it. Keep working and discipline yourself. You're young. Follow your dreams. Don't let your head get in the way. Just do it.

tired1823
04-14-11, 01:48 AM
part of an interview with this guy. It's motivation

PD: Albie, what did you do after you discovered you had this disadvantage?
Albie Manzo: I enrolled in special programs and got a lot of help in middle school, high school and at Fordham. What it taught me was I if I try really hard, I can do it.

PD: Explain to me how you worked together as a team to get to where you are now.
AM: I got a lot of extra help with my teachers and enrolled in special programs where I lived. It might take me longer and I might work three times harder than other people, but, at the end of the day, I can do it.

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/07/21/real-housewives-of-new-jersey-star-caroline-manzo-discusses-so/