View Full Version : Question for long term benzo users

discon
04-14-11, 07:57 PM
I've been on klonopin for 4 months to treat heavy anxiety caused by a traumatic experience that happened 5 years ago. My question is, years down the road, will benzos still minimize my anxiety? I understand to some extent how tolerance works - I hardly feel the klonopin anymore, but it still has a calming effect and a way of making me feel like I'm not losing my mind.

relax21
04-14-11, 10:33 PM
I'm assuming you've been taking Klonopin everyday for 4 months straight.

I hardly feel the klonopin anymore.

You're beginning to develop a tolerance to Klonopin; it's inevitable.

My question is, years down the road, will benzos still minimize my anxiety?

Benzodiazepines, as you hopefully are aware, are for the short term treatment of anxiety disorders, sleep disorders, panic disorders, etc. The short answer to your question is: Yes, benzodiazepines will still minimize anxiety years down the road, but it will be dose dependent due to tolerance.

I also hope you aware that you should not abruptly stop taking Klonopin without your doctors consent, especially since you've been taking the drug for a long period of time.

*If Klonopin is working for you, great, but in my opinion you should look into tapering off your daily dose(s) of Klonopin. It will be in the best interest to do so as soon as possible to avoid addiction/dependence, tolerance, cognitive complications, and withdrawal. Please discuss this with your doctor.

discon
04-14-11, 11:49 PM
Benzodiazepines, as you hopefully are aware, are for the short term treatment of anxiety disorders, sleep disorders, panic disorders, etc. The short answer to your question is: Yes, benzodiazepines will still minimize anxiety years down the road, but it will be dose dependent due to tolerance.

I've been through benzo withdrawal 3 times. Every time I'd use them it would be 3-4 months at a time. I consider myself dependent on them to feel normal. My last break from benzos lasted a year, and I still had terrible anxiety and was a nervous wreck. It was too much, so I started taking them again. The last time I was on them I went through roughly 4 grams of pure valium in 4 months. Stupid I know.

To be more specific with my question, will 0.5mg have no effect at all 10 years down the road? Does its grounding effect go away completely?

discon
04-14-11, 11:55 PM
I'm assuming you've been taking Klonopin everyday for 4 months straight.

You're beginning to develop a tolerance to Klonopin; it's inevitable.

Also - despite my inability to feel the benzo, it still has a profound effect at making me feel normal. I still have anxiety, but it's more manageable than before.

relax21
04-15-11, 10:49 AM
will 0.5mg have no effect at all 10 years down the road?

It more than likely won't have any effect if you take .5 mg every single day for 10 years. Your brain desensitizes to a drug with continued use... thus you get tolerance.

I consider myself dependent on them to feel normal. My last break from benzos lasted a year, and I still had terrible anxiety and was a nervous wreck.

I don't know what to tell you. Life is terrible living in constant anxiety. Klonopin is a solution but it should be used rarely or in "short-term intervals". To be reliant long term on any drug to make you feel normal isn't a smart solution for tackling your anxiety issues.

I know you said you had a traumatic experience 5 years ago. But I feel like you need to get to the root of that experience and discuss solutions to tackle this anxiety with a cognitive therapist. I still think you should use Klonopin, but not for years. If you still have trouble with anxiety down the road you should use Klonopin only when absolutely needed; not as an everyday way to get by.

Being under the influence of a benzodiazepine for years (or even months) is no way to live a life. It just numbs you from feeling anything. Being human we have to feel pain and anxiety once and awhile.

Klonopin is a powerful benzodiazepine and it may have many adverse side effects for long-term users. Living without Klonopin, anxiety will only be exacerbated, unfortunately. You'll need to take control of your own life and anxiety through coping skills and support of a good cognitive therapist (and rarely if needed take a Klonopin here and there for those vulnerable moments).

I'm not trying to tell you HAVE to do what I say to get better. But hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.