View Full Version : learning disabilities and brain damage

excel
04-16-11, 02:29 PM
do learning disabilties and brain damage get worse with age?

Daffy89
04-16-11, 02:42 PM
I'm not really qualified to answer this question, but I should imagine in some cases they can better depending on the disability, as your coping mechanisms improve. This could be masked however, if your environment becomes more stressful and demanding.

Lunacie
04-16-11, 04:03 PM
Not that I'm aware of. What I do know is that we become wiser as we gain experience, so that offsets any possible worsening of the symptoms.

My anxiety seems to get better and worse and better again (going through a tough patch now), but the mental fog of ADHD has been less troublesome since I began taking supplements. There was a patch when I was going through menopause that I thought I was getting Alzheimer's, but that was because of the hormonal changes and it went away.

excel
04-16-11, 10:08 PM
My anxiety Has gotten worse especially my driving anxiety. I think my learning disablities have gotten worse.

Rebelyell
04-16-11, 11:04 PM
I think so,some days Im like just retarded and nothing goes right for me.Why does life have to be in between for us.Why couldnt it have been either your nt or retarded none of this in the middle crap?

excel
04-17-11, 12:11 PM
Everybody has their good days and their bad days

Grunny
04-17-11, 12:43 PM
My diagnosis is very recent, just starting meds and i very much hope my learning disability will fade with time now. It's very frustrating to have a brain that has potentially high value but completely riddled with errors. I've underachieved my entire life on every aspect of it. Maybe i'll learn to utilize more of it's potential now. I'm 33 now, but better later than never, right! I hope learning disabilities don't get worse with age. I personally believe the brain is very moldable, but the ego the opposite. I'm trying to set aside my ego and it's inflexible ideas and defences but the ******* is persistent! But with my new acquired focus at least i have a fighting chance.

excel
04-17-11, 04:32 PM
My learning disabilties are pretty severe. I don't think medication will kelp

Michiko74
04-18-11, 08:05 AM
do learning disabilties and brain damage get worse with age?

I may be just picky, but does a learning disability mean your brain is damaged?

excel
04-18-11, 09:03 AM
Yes I have brain damage. I didn't get enough oxygen when I was born

mimi'sdreaming
04-18-11, 09:21 AM
excel, do you mind my asking how old you are? Also, what type of schooling did you receive (and how long).

What exactly have you been diagnosed with?

I absolutely think learning disabilities can get better with age. They are lifelong, but learning what they are and hope to best cope will make a world of difference.

There is help out there. Please don't give up! :)

mimi'sdreaming
04-18-11, 09:23 AM
Not that I'm aware of. What I do know is that we become wiser as we gain experience, so that offsets any possible worsening of the symptoms.

My anxiety seems to get better and worse and better again (going through a tough patch now), but the mental fog of ADHD has been less troublesome since I began taking supplements. There was a patch when I was going through menopause that I thought I was getting Alzheimer's, but that was because of the hormonal changes and it went away.

Lunacie, what supplements do you take?

I'm coasting into menopause right now. I think it's made my ADD and anxiety worse, without a doubt!

excel
04-18-11, 09:25 AM
excel, do you mind my asking how old you are? Also, what type of schooling did you receive (and how long).

What exactly have you been diagnosed with?

I absolutely think learning disabilities can get better with age. They are lifelong, but learning what they are and hope to best cope will make a world of difference.

There is help out there. Please don't give up! :)
46 years oldI went to college and got my associates degree.

Lunacie
04-18-11, 09:47 AM
Lunacie, what supplements do you take?

I'm coasting into menopause right now. I think it's made my ADD and anxiety worse, without a doubt!

Menopause was crazy - I seriously thought I was developing early onset Alzheimer's. I was using progestrone cream which helped with some symptoms, but not the brain fog. My daughter bought a supplement from Avon (they no longer make supplements apparently) that contained Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil. The difference was wonderful. But the stuff was expensive.

I went to Walmart and bought some fish oil (Omega 3) and am one of the people that it really helps a lot. I could really tell how much it was helping when I ran out and didn't buy another bottle right away. I found myself getting lost in a part of town I thought I knew pretty well.

I also take a B complex with Magnesium and Zinc. I used to take one with Calcium but have found that Vitamin D is good for bones and I'm taking that for seasonal depression. And I take one prescription med for hypertension.

I didn't go to college at all much less get a degree. Good for you.

LostInThought12
04-18-11, 12:24 PM
I dont know that it gets better or worse with age... but I agree that we learn how to teach ourselves things differently than perhaps a NT.

My memory is junk for the most part, but Ive learned to remember things, easy things by going through the alphebet.

I start with A, and think about different letters and sounds come after it. If it doesnt strike me as familiar to what Im trying to recall... I go to B... and so on.

Most of the time, if I can be patient and noone is pressing me, I can get the main word, which then the rest of ithe subject follows.

This works if Im trying to remember what Im supposed to be doing, remembering the thing that I had been looking all over the house for... then at some point, forgot what that was altogether lol, it sometimes works with peoples names, etc.

If I dont make a real strong mental note of something, and really try to concentrate on it for a little while, its gone most of the time as fast as it came, except for things that I find very interesting. I cant always emember details, but I get the whole jist of it all.

I dont think this probably helped,
But you are not alone.

mimi'sdreaming
04-18-11, 12:46 PM

excel, that's awesome! If you can do that, you can tackle anything. I only hope my son will be able to say the same one day. You are an inspiration!

I think you are being way too hard on yourself. There are many people with genius IQ's that can't seem to make sense of life. One thing I know for sure: we all have strengths, just as we have weaknesses. It's learning to parlay those strengths into what works best for you.

mimi'sdreaming
04-18-11, 12:50 PM
Menopause was crazy - I seriously thought I was developing early onset Alzheimer's. I was using progestrone cream which helped with some symptoms, but not the brain fog. My daughter bought a supplement from Avon (they no longer make supplements apparently) that contained Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil. The difference was wonderful. But the stuff was expensive.

I went to Walmart and bought some fish oil (Omega 3) and am one of the people that it really helps a lot. I could really tell how much it was helping when I ran out and didn't buy another bottle right away. I found myself getting lost in a part of town I thought I knew pretty well.

I also take a B complex with Magnesium and Zinc. I used to take one with Calcium but have found that Vitamin D is good for bones and I'm taking that for seasonal depression. And I take one prescription med for hypertension.

I didn't go to college at all much less get a degree. Good for you.

Thanks Lunacie! It's definitely time for me to try some supplements. I've definitely noticed more brain fog (as of late).

excel
04-18-11, 05:39 PM
I wonder id supplements help a large percentage of the population

excel
11-16-13, 06:52 PM
Never set unrealistic goals for yourself

excel
01-09-17, 11:26 PM
I will have try that