View Full Version : would letting adderall absorb under your tounge be any different than swallowing?

TickleMyPickle
04-18-11, 07:29 PM
anyone ever tried this? i'm gonna ask my doc next time

ADHDTigger
04-18-11, 07:50 PM
Generally, a sublingual medication is designed to dissolve. While it could be said that any medication will dissolve, I believe that there is something about microscopic structure that is different for a sublingual med.

I'm certainly no expert.

I'd be interested in hearing what your doc has to say.

TickleMyPickle
04-18-11, 08:03 PM
i know some drugs have better BAs depending on the ROA. for instance the majority of benzos have the highest BA when taken orally, intranasally will do not much to nothing. cocaine has a low oral BA and a high intranasal BA

Hurricane Gal
04-18-11, 08:32 PM
There's also a rectal alternative, apparently. :rolleyes:

Impromptu_DTour
04-18-11, 08:34 PM
i think you're more likely just going to experience a really nasty taste with adderall under the tongue.

medications are designed to be taken in specific ways, and depending on enzymes which are present in specific parts of the body (such as the stomach, mouth, rectum etc), the isotopes will break down as they were designed to, in the right order, at the right times, for the right dose outputs over a span of the halflife of the medication. It really is an art.

not saying that you wont experience an effect - but unlike ativan (which is designed to be taken under the tongue), im doubting that unless the medication was designed for that type of absorption, it will be any better. It is amphetamines though, but again depending on the release, you'll have 1 or 2 isotopes to break down. It may not be noticeable.

Benzos generally are instantaneous, because they need to be. Thats how they were designed.

You'd really have to ask like, a pharmaceutical engineer.

I_DTour

excel
04-18-11, 08:47 PM
This thread could be headed for closure like the other one.

TickleMyPickle
04-18-11, 08:47 PM

yeah that's the best ROA...i think the BA% is 95%

i think you're more likely just going to experience a really nasty taste with adderall under the tongue.

medications are designed to be taken in specific ways, and depending on enzymes which are present in specific parts of the body (such as the stomach, mouth, rectum etc), the isotopes will break down as they were designed to, in the right order, at the right times, for the right dose outputs over a span of the halflife of the medication. It really is an art.

not saying that you wont experience an effect - but unlike ativan (which is designed to be taken under the tongue), im doubting that unless the medication was designed for that type of absorption, it will be any better. It is amphetamines though, but again depending on the release, you'll have 1 or 2 isotopes to break down. It may not be noticeable.

Benzos generally are instantaneous, because they need to be. Thats how they were designed.

You'd really have to ask like, a pharmaceutical engineer.

I_DTour
i know amphetamines have a higher BA intrasally and vaporized rather than orally

Lunacie
04-18-11, 09:06 PM
I may be too suspicious, but when someone wants to know if there's a better way to take a medication than the way research has shown to be safest and best - I wonder if they're looking to get something from the medication besides what it's generally prescribed for.

TickleMyPickle
04-18-11, 10:17 PM
I may be too suspicious, but when someone wants to know if there's a better way to take a medication than the way research has shown to be safest and best - I wonder if they're looking to get something from the medication besides what it's generally prescribed for.
my teva 15mg seem week. a 10mg sandoz felt stronger. i was just trying to get back focused like i used to be

pianoraindream
04-18-11, 10:20 PM
my teva 15mg seem week. a 10mg sandoz felt stronger. i was just trying to get back focused like i used to be

If that's the case you should definitely talk to your dr. About your dose being too low or switching to another med if your dose is already too high. :). There's lots out there to try, but I know some have horrid side effects for different people. I couldn't handle vyvanse, my dr. Just switched me to adderall IR 20 mg's twice a day today. Hope it's better. :).

StoicNate
04-19-11, 12:44 AM

That's because Sandoz is a better pharmaceutical company that doesn't skimp on the ingredients in the medication.
Sandoz Adderall is generally the best Adderall generic out there.

pianoraindream
04-19-11, 01:13 AM
That's because Sandoz is a better pharmaceutical company that doesn't skimp on the ingredients in the medication.
Sandoz Adderall is generally the best Adderall generic out there.

I just switched to Adderall IR today and the generic name they gave me is called AMPHET. Is this a good one?

StoicNate
04-19-11, 01:22 AM
I just switched to Adderall IR today and the generic name they gave me is called AMPHET. Is this a good one?

That's just short for Amphetamine Salts.

How does your Adderall look like? (what does it say on each side of the tablets)

pianoraindream
04-19-11, 01:49 AM
That's just short for Amphetamine Salts.

How does your Adderall look like? (what does it say on each side of the tablets)

it's pink/orange and oval with a -20- on one side and a b/937 on the other.

Gunner
04-19-11, 01:59 AM
I actually kind of like the sweet taste of Adderall, sometimes I will let it linger on my tounge for a second before I swallow.

Now I do have a question about generics. My generic that I have is Teva(apparently notorious for ill effects and I may be experiencing the slight headache some report). Anyways I would like to try a different (Sandoz) to see if I experience a difference.

I know getting brand name is expencive especially if the doc dosen't explicitly prescribe it but you can ask for it at the pharm. My insurance dosen't make any statements on requesting generics. So can I go in and request what generic I want to the pharm?

Apparently the Adderall shortage has hit my area according to local news so I won't be picky but I would like to try.

Lunacie
04-19-11, 09:35 AM

Why did you switch from Sandoz to Teva? Can you switch back to Sandoz? That seems more logical to me than trying to take the meds in a way that they're not designed to be taken.

StoicNate
04-19-11, 03:25 PM
it's pink/orange and oval with a -20- on one side and a b/937 on the other.

You're taking Teva/Barr generic 20mg.

pianoraindream
04-19-11, 03:29 PM
You're taking Teva/Barr generic 20mg.

Thanks for the info! :)

StoicNate
04-19-11, 03:36 PM
I actually kind of like the sweet taste of Adderall, sometimes I will let it linger on my tounge for a second before I swallow.

Now I do have a question about generics. My generic that I have is Teva(apparently notorious for ill effects and I may be experiencing the slight headache some report). Anyways I would like to try a different (Sandoz) to see if I experience a difference.

I know getting brand name is expencive especially if the doc dosen't explicitly prescribe it but you can ask for it at the pharm. My insurance dosen't make any statements on requesting generics. So can I go in and request what generic I want to the pharm?

Apparently the Adderall shortage has hit my area according to local news so I won't be picky but I would like to try.

Insurances usually don't care which generics you take.
They won't charge you more for a certain generic.

You can go to any Pharmacy and ask what generics they carry and decline them to go to another pharmacy in order to fill the generic that you want.

You can special order Sandoz Adderall at CVS (It might take 4 days to wait for it, but it's worth it) OR at any small mom&pop pharmacy.

Gunner
04-20-11, 02:15 AM
Thanks, I will do that on next refill. My doc isin't going to renew my Rx for the summer :S so I only get one more fill untill August. Also someone mentioned their Orange Pill was Teva, is this the XR? My IR are blue and the bottle says Teva. Is the brand difference larger for one or the other type?

StoicNate
04-20-11, 02:52 AM
Thanks, I will do that on next refill. My doc isin't going to renew my Rx for the summer :S so I only get one more fill untill August. Also someone mentioned their Orange Pill was Teva, is this the XR? My IR are blue and the bottle says Teva. Is the brand difference larger for one or the other type?

Sandoz makes round blue (5mg, 10mg) and orange (20mg, 30mg) IR tablets with an "E" on one side.

Teva/Barr makes oval shaped blue (5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg) and orange (12.5mg, 15mg, 20mg) IR tablets with a "b" on one side.

Adderall XR is totally different, it's a capsule with beads inside.