View Full Version : does clonidine help your focus with stimulants?

sarahsweets
04-23-11, 12:55 PM
I was just wondering with your attention and focus can be improved with the addition of clonidine? I never get sedation with any med even sleep ones so I was curious whether it might help improe my motivation when taken with a stimulants. Thanks!

namazu
05-04-11, 11:04 PM
I have been taking clonidine (Kapvay) along with methylphenidate (Concerta + Ritalin) for about a month now.

I find that I feel less restless in general. I notice this most at night when I'm trying to fall asleep and do less tossing and turning than usual. But I'm not convinced it helps me much with focus. That said, I have been getting more done than usual, so maybe...

The clonidine has also helped with a comorbid hair-pulling problem (vaguely in the OCD-tic disorder family of fun).

I haven't felt sedated, even on a dose of 0.2mg in the morning and 0.2mg in the evening.

neetah
06-17-11, 01:15 PM
i take dexampgetamine and have just started the clonidine. the first time i took it, it knocked me out like a light and i slept like a log, woke up the next day with a very dry mouth though. dex has enormous benifits for me with studying but it makes me pick at my face. and since i have very mild acne i end up with red marks on my face and i found that the clondine stops me from doing that. which is good but i didnt want to end up taking a whole cocktail of drugs one to cure the side effects of the other

hollywood
06-17-11, 02:48 PM
when we discuss clonidine for use in combination with stimulants , don't you think that we can also discuss tenex and further wouldn't discussing tenex used with stimulants have a larger degree of efficacy since it's less sedating, has a longer half life and is more specific acting in the brain area that controls executive function? To answer your questions, I notice less physical stimulation which in turn leads to alot greater productivity. It may not directly increase focus as they say, I firmly believe it facilitates learning and memory by eliminating stimulant side effects and thats a pretty large impact.

BlackTieDad
08-02-11, 04:36 PM
Our psychiatrist put DS4 (the ADHD member of the family) on a low dose of Kapvay with his after-lunch dose of Adderall. He has been great in the mornings, but in the afternoons he would get argumentative, defiant, hit his brother (age 5) with fists, toys, bike helmets, etc. Plus the throw-himself-on-the-ground meltdowns about the weirdest, small things.

Today is his first day with the Kapvay. It's only 2:30 PM here, but he did settle down for nap/quiet time, which is good (he often still takes 1-2 hour naps when he actually lies down and is still). It will be interesting to see how things go this afternoon and evening.

I'm interested in anyone else who has used this combination.

Also, he has shown some OCD-like behaviors since starting Adderall - hand-washing (although he has always liked to play in the sink and wash his hands), lining up crayons and such in perfect rows, and he washed his entire body 4 times in the bathtub the other night, which is frankly weird to me. From what I have read, the Kapvay can help with those symptoms as well.

I'll be interested to read what everyone has to say about stimulant + clonidine, how how effective (or ineffective) y'all have found it.