View Full Version : Help me.

twilighter3000
04-24-11, 09:22 PM
So there's like no other threads in this section, so I'm not sure how much help I'll get, but I'm desperate.

I've recently become certain that my possible ADD is real. It's really screwing up my life because I haven't told my parents or any adults and I don't know what to do. Because now it's messing with my grades and I went from being a straight A and an occassional B+ student last year to right now failing math and C's in at least 2 classes. I'm trying so hard, and I know I have the brain ability, but I just can't concentrate! I need to do well in school, it's so important to me, and I'm waiting in fear for my parents to find out and am also terrified I'll be ineligible for my soccer games. PLEASE HELP.

Werl
04-24-11, 11:16 PM
Most parents are ok with this king of news. But, of corse, there are exceptions. Just talk to your parents and see if you get an official diagnosis and maybe some meds. Remember, meds aren't the "magic pill of concentration" but they will be a lot of help.

Oh, welcome to the forums.

appa215
05-03-11, 05:19 PM
You sound just like me. I've never been diagnosed either, but I really think I have it, I just don't know how to tell my parents.

pooka
05-04-11, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forums! I'm also a teen here :)
I totally know how you feel, and speaking from experience and making mistakes, I think you should give your parents a heads-up that your grades won't be so stellar. I got into a terrible awful pattern of what I thought were harmless lies, because when my mom asked "How are you doing in school?" it was just so much easier to say "Fine" instead of tell her the truth, and then once report card time came around, my parents were even more upset because they were blindsided.
About telling your parents, I think I gave this advice to somebody else in the Teen Section recently...can't remember who...Anyways, what I said was that I don't think you don't need to call a formal family meeting in the living room or anything. Just next time you do something stereotypically ADHD (zone out, forget something, get distracted) you could say, "Wow, how ADD of me" and start the conversation from there. Not sure if this will work for you or not, of course it depends on who you are as a person and what kind of people your parents are. If you want to get diagnosed (which I recommend you do), you're going to need your parents to be on board with everything. Good luck!

Pears
05-05-11, 01:43 PM
I am almost positively sure i have ADD but my mom wont beleive me. She let me explain to her what it is and even show her a website about ADD, but wants to beleive I don't have it. I have something similar to the above post, whenever my sister or mom would say something like "You don't focus", I would say "ADD" but they just get angry. I really want ritalin or this one medicine i saw on tv, but for now ive just been drinking alot of soda, which for some odd reason helps me focus.

I also think i may have OCD possibly, although i havent really reasearched exactly what it is. I always have to make everything symmetrical. For example, alot of the time i zone out in school, i will take the textbook and try to make the pages on each side look exactly the same amount. It also happens in games that allow you to place things, like minecraft.

I also have one more question, is ritalin off the counter, or is it prescription?
Also for future reference, if you have ADD, DO NOT TAKE VIRTUAL SCHOOL.

pooka
05-05-11, 09:43 PM
About the soda, caffeine helps a lot of ADDers to focus. I drink chai tea every day while I do my homework- it helps a lot.
As far as I know you need a prescription to take Ritalin, but I don't take meds and am not an expert on this stuff.

hypergirl96
05-05-11, 09:53 PM
Wow. That could've been my auto-biography right there. I'm in the same boat right now. I know exactly how you feel.

My advice? Don't be afraid. Take a deep breath. That's the first thing. There are things you can do to help you without getting a diagnosis until the day comes and you can get meds. look up ADD friendly ways to do homework. i set up a station free of distractions wth a timer and set a schedule for my homework with periodic breaks t strech, wlk around, and clear my mind.

Good Luck! :D

Pears
05-06-11, 03:04 PM
I always had ADD in school and it was as simple as cheating off of the kid next to me and skipping the assignments I couldn't cheat on. Now i take virtual school which has unlimited distractions, tv, xbox, piano, the computer itself, Minecraft (Probably my worst distraction). Also my mind is too creative. I like to draw, animate, and play the piano; my brain is always thinking of songs and stories I can animate and its really annoying.

I also get up and walk around the house and just think (One subject to the next, you guys know how it is) which ends up being like an hour of time wasted. I also just ran out of coca cola, and im freaking out. I think i may be getting addicted because my mind thinks soda is the only way it can function.

GAH, I hate ADD so much.

Grasshoppaa
05-06-11, 04:21 PM
So there's like no other threads in this section, so I'm not sure how much help I'll get, but I'm desperate.

I've recently become certain that my possible ADD is real. It's really screwing up my life because I haven't told my parents or any adults and I don't know what to do. Because now it's messing with my grades and I went from being a straight A and an occassional B+ student last year to right now failing math and C's in at least 2 classes. I'm trying so hard, and I know I have the brain ability, but I just can't concentrate! I need to do well in school, it's so important to me, and I'm waiting in fear for my parents to find out and am also terrified I'll be ineligible for my soccer games. PLEASE HELP.

Hey! Welcome aboard and feel free to post questions about school in the "adult education" forum since nobody really uses this one. We don't check ID's :)

Chances are good that your parents and/or teachers will not be very surprised if you talk to them about possibly having ADD. Instead of being surprised and worried about you having it, your parents probably have noticed some symptoms and might be very proud and relieved that you came to them about it. People often ignore symptoms of their ADD or just deal with it if then can, which is okay to do only to some extent. If your symptoms are becoming more of a problem and you are struggling to find solutions, the best thing for you is probably to seek professional help.

I am almost positively sure i have ADD but my mom wont beleive me. She let me explain to her what it is and even show her a website about ADD, but wants to beleive I don't have it. I have something similar to the above post, whenever my sister or mom would say something like "You don't focus", I would say "ADD" but they just get angry. I really want ritalin or this one medicine i saw on tv, but for now ive just been drinking alot of soda, which for some odd reason helps me focus.

I also think i may have OCD possibly, although i havent really reasearched exactly what it is. I always have to make everything symmetrical. For example, alot of the time i zone out in school, i will take the textbook and try to make the pages on each side look exactly the same amount. It also happens in games that allow you to place things, like minecraft.

I also have one more question, is ritalin off the counter, or is it prescription?
Also for future reference, if you have ADD, DO NOT TAKE VIRTUAL SCHOOL.

Maybe you have ADD, but it seems like you are using ADD as an excuse to not pay attention, which is probably why they get angry about it.

I always had ADD in school and it was as simple as cheating off of the kid next to me and skipping the assignments I couldn't cheat on. Now i take virtual school which has unlimited distractions, tv, xbox, piano, the computer itself, Minecraft (Probably my worst distraction). Also my mind is too creative. I like to draw, animate, and play the piano; my brain is always thinking of songs and stories I can animate and its really annoying.

I also get up and walk around the house and just think (One subject to the next, you guys know how it is) which ends up being like an hour of time wasted. I also just ran out of coca cola, and im freaking out. I think i may be getting addicted because my mind thinks soda is the only way it can function.

GAH, I hate ADD so much.

Why in the world would you find it necessary to cheat on some asignments and then skip others? Do you understand that people take the risk of cheating because they expect it to pay off and be worth the risk. Cheating on assignments and then not turning other ones in just defeats the purpose of cheating in the first place.

Pears
05-06-11, 06:23 PM
No I couldn't cheat on all assignments, so I would simply skip them. And the reason i was using it as excuse in the first place, was for them to hopefully see through and take me to get diagnosed, which didnt work. At this point i give up, i wish i never joined stupid online school. I fail, and wont be going to my homecountry for vacation :(

twilighter3000
05-06-11, 09:38 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave advice, I really needed some <3 I don't think they even have a clue I might have ADD, since I was always such a smart kid, and any concentration problems I may have had were just brushed off as not trying. And I'm thinking of maybe writing a letter to my dad (who is much more understand, smart, and I love him to death) because I'm just too chicken to say it in person and I'm a pretty good writer so I think I might be able to explain it better there and back it up with facts? Do you think that would be a bad idea? :/ Again, thanks everyone(:

pooka
05-06-11, 10:26 PM
To be honest, twilighter, I've thought of doing the same thing many, many times for many different situations. Writing is my strong suit, and I'm constantly writing letters to people in my head even if they don't make it onto paper.
However, I'm going caution you before you do that. You're going to have to talk about it eventually - you might as well just muster your courage now and get it over with, in my opinion. It's a bit easier to steer clear of misinterpretations when you're talking with someone face-to-face, too.
One last tip: definitely point your parents in the direction of some articles about ADHD. Be specific when you talk to them: what type do you think you have (inattentive, hyperactive, or combined) what kinds of symptoms of ADHD you experience, exactly what you want to do (i.e. get diagnosed or get meds or something), etc. Good luck.

Pears,
Cheating is not an ADHD symptom. I've never cheated on anything in my life. If you're giving your family reasons why you have ADHD, please do not say "I cheat on things" and give a bad impression of us ADDers with a sense of moral integrity.

twilighter3000
05-07-11, 10:13 AM
Alright, I'll try :/

Pears
05-07-11, 10:52 AM
If i didn't cheat i wouldn't pass, and I wasn't using it as an excuse. Ive never applied cheating with ADD, I don't even cheat anymore and I hate it. I wish I never brought that up cause now no one is helping me with my other problems.

EDIT: Oh now I see why you think I use cheating as an excuse. Ok to clearify, I Only used excuses ONE time in a day so that my parents would get interested in ADD and get me diagnosed (Which failed). I NEVER used cheating as an excuse, and even though I told my parents I cheated to pass, I dont do it anymore, and they dont think i cheat (which i dont)