View Full Version : What about spirituality gets your attn?

Rick S88
04-26-11, 05:16 PM
I'm VERY interested in this topic. I was born into a Roman Catholic family, yet as I started to learn more about the world, have believed that NO single religion is correct. PARTS of all of them are great, just wish the common good of all was the honest goal.

I guess MY religion is LOVE. :)

I just started learning about Yoga & meditation is next.

hypergirl96
04-26-11, 05:55 PM
I could write a very long post about this, but since I have a lot of homework I'll try to make it short.

I am 15, also born into a Roman Catholic family. I was batized a few months after i was born, attended church with my parents, went to catholic school, and only listened to contemporary christian music on the radio. i LOVE contemporary christian music.

I am now in my mid teens, around the time when most people turn away from spirituality, however, my beliefs have only strengthened. Through prayer and many subtle acts of grace, ive learned just how much spirituality fills me up, in a way that nothing else can. no popular shows, dreams of stardom, pop music, none of that really is fulfilling to me.

up and until recently i was only going through the motions, going to church, praying, etc. i really wanted to grow in my faith,but i really wasnt sure how. as a birthday present on this passed my fifteenth birthday, my aunt bought me, my cousin, my mom, and her tickets to a concert for my favorite ever band the newsboys. they are a contemporary christian band. anyways, this wasnt an ordinary contemporary christian concert. as usual they had some of the regular leading-up bands playing for a while.

well, they were taking a long time to get to the main attraction and i was getting a bit impatient. however, this speaker came out. he began to talk to us (it was mostly youth groups and ministries their) about how our relationship with God is like a restoring and antique car. he went on a very intriguing talk, and i admit, my interest was piqued. so, he talked for a while and then together, the whole audience around the stadium, up in the highest bleachers near the ceiling and those on the floor near the stage kneeled down. and as one we prayed for God to enter our lives to help clean us, make us whole, to walk with us. That night, in the middle of the stadium, I and many other teenagers let God into our hearts.

It was the most amazing feeling i have ever felt. i was filled with this great, overwhelming, innexplicable joy and peace. i cried out of the pure joy of it all. when my mom asked me if i was fine, i told her i felt better than i w=ever had before. i recognized this presence. it was the same joy that filled me after confessions when i got that big silly grin i just cant whipe off my face, however it was never as strong as it was that night. I had been filled with the Holy Spirit. Ever since then, i have become a better person. I seek out chores and do tem mysellf, complain less...i want to help people, because it gives me joy to do so.

my mom said this is what christians have called mountain top moments, when we feel the glory of the Lord within our hearts like a window into heaven. i want to feel that way all the time, and i want others to feel that way as well.

So, what draws me to spirituality, namely the Christian faith? it is precisely those moments that do so. that joy i know only God can give me, and i want others to feel it as well. i know i am striving towards something bigger, something greater. many people may argue saying that God doesnt exist that he never answers prayers. But i know just how real he is and no one can make me believe otherwise, not after what ive experienced, not after the miracles and wonderful stories that happen around me in my day to day life that could never in a million years be a coincidence...it is God's grace.

Others may say that they have suffered to much for there to be a God, but as the saying goes "If there's no pain, there's no gain." He has a reason for why we all are the way we are, why we are placed, and others, in the circumstances we are. He knows our weaknesses, after all, He created us. and our experiences are meant to help us conquer our weaknesses and become strong individuals as He wants us. He wants us to rise every time we fall, to learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others and to help others see Him.

mods, you can fire me all you want for this. However, considerring the fact that we are in the "Spirituality" section i am assuming that this is welcome talk.

so that is my answer to the question. i have many stories i wish to share that i canot now for i have too much homework.

Cheers,
hypergirl

Offle
04-26-11, 06:02 PM
I'm amazed by the way it effects people. i've never been very religious, but I'm completely fascinated by the effects that spirituality effects people and cultures and history. I could spend all my time studying it.

I'm also fascinated by the rituals, the stories, the laws, the traditions, and the communities that come from religion and spirituality. I think it's all so interesting. I want to know more about it. I'm thinking of double majoring in religious studies.

Il-Miġnun
04-27-11, 02:46 PM
and as one we prayed for God to enter our lives to help clean us, make us whole, to walk with us. That night, in the middle of the stadium, I and many other teenagers let God into our hearts.

Your choice of words seem to indicate that at one point in your life you were 'dirty' and 'broken'.. Why is this?

my mom said this is what christians have called mountain top moments, when we feel the glory of the Lord within our hearts like a window into heaven. i want to feel that way all the time, and i want others to feel that way as well.

I am happy for you, but I do hope that you realise that there are different ways of reaching that state, and not all of them can be used by everyone.

Others may say that they have suffered to much for there to be a God, but as the saying goes "If there's no pain, there's no gain."

Sure, but pray tell what did Elizabeth Fritzl gain after being imprisoned and raped for 20 years in her home by her father?

What does someone with Downs stand to gain?

Or a girl your age that lost her right foot because of a land mine? .. What do two parents really gain from seeing their only child smiling while she dies slowly and painfully for 6 months because of her cancer?

Can't they make those gains and be better people without the suffering?

Il-Miġnun
04-27-11, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking of double majoring in religious studies.

No, you'll not find what you're looking for there. You would find more answers studying political history of the 20th century. Try human psychology.

Offle
04-27-11, 03:23 PM
No, you'll not find what you're looking for there. You would find more answers studying political history of the 20th century. Try human psychology.

I want to know more about the history of the religions and how they have affected the shaping of the modern world, which I don't think a human psychology class would help me much with.

Il-Miġnun
04-27-11, 03:53 PM
I want to know more about the history of the religions and how they have affected the shaping of the modern world, which I don't think a human psychology class would help me much with.

Well in that case you do have a point but I would think that having a little insight into how the human brain works and evolutionary psychology will enhance your appreciation of how religions shaped our world. Don't you agree?

Remember, the environment we live in and our biology plays a crucial part in shaping our views. The same happened in the days of the Hebrew prophets too.

Offle
04-27-11, 04:06 PM
Well in that case you do have a point but I would think that having a little insight into how the human brain works and evolutionary psychology will enhance your appreciation of how religions shaped our world. Don't you agree?

Remember, the environment we live in and our biology plays a crucial part in shaping our views. The same happened in the days of the Hebrew prophets too.

You have a point there. I do have three more credit hours I need. I should look into a psychology class for it. I should probably talk to my advisor before I add it though. Psychology is probably way more useful to the Drawing class I'll probably end up taking to fill a my last GEC.