View Full Version : Messy Rooms.

agggisjd
04-27-11, 11:39 AM
I know some peoples rooms are messy mine is really messy but I'm discouraged to start cleaning it. I have enough space to put everything, any tips on getting started?:confused:

N810
04-27-11, 11:44 AM
I find it helpfull if I concentrate on cleaning one small are at a time,
it tends to get overwelming when I consider the entire mess.

Jade Sea
04-27-11, 11:50 AM
Try not to look at the whole room as being messy, because this might confuse you or make it harder in deciding where to begin. Pick a small area maybe a square foot in area i.e. a shelf or chair if there are things piled on it. I usually start with my bed if it's the bedroom that needs tidying. Compartmentalization is a very handy trick, by breaking things down into smaller more manageable 'bits' it seems simpler and easier. Psychology can be a very powerful tool when employed correctly!
JS

Jade Sea
04-27-11, 11:51 AM
Nice N810, my thoughts exactly as you can see :)

pooka
04-27-11, 09:15 PM
My room is a disaster most of the time, but occasionally I go on a bit of a hyperfocused cleaning rampage. The way I do it is from the inside out. I never start with all the visible crap lying around on the floor - my method is to make it messier before it gets cleaner. I organize binders and bookshelves and closets and such and that kind of gets me into the right mentality. If I'm doing my closet, for instance, I basically just dump everything out onto the floor, one shelf at a time, and fold it nicely and put it back the way it's actually supposed to go. Once all my books are lined up and my clothes folded properly and my school papers filed away, I start with the stuff on the floor because now I'm more motivated to put it back the right way instead of just shoving stuff, since the shelves and stuff where everything goes are nice and neat. Also, good music is essential for cleaning! :D

hubblybubb
04-28-11, 02:33 AM
I always clean when I am putting off something else. Productive procrastination seems to make it easier. Cleaning is usually better than whatever I really SHOULD be doing.

agggisjd
04-28-11, 11:25 PM
Thanks.

bumblebe
04-28-11, 11:39 PM
You just posted my BIGGEST problem right now, even my son who is ADHD has a tidy room, mine just gets worse.

When I was a kid, the way I fixed this is by rearranging my furniture, so things do get messier at first, but then the motovation of something new helped me de clutter and organize.

zannie
04-29-11, 12:18 AM
I have just spent the last two days - very low energy days - being overwhelmed by my room.

Bumblebee, my daughters room used to be hands down neater than mine but looks like now she is on the same clutter laden path as I seem to be.

When I do get started on my room I have found that pooka's idea works - to make the space to put the stuff. I have recently started doing that and it helps but I tend to only get a little done at a time.

I would so love to see my whole room tidy all at once. I know doing something is better than nothing but it does get discouraging.

Michiko74
05-19-11, 04:01 PM
Have you seen that show 'Clean sweep'? They start to tackle a room by having three boxes, keep, sell, toss. Then they attack the keep pile, and make it smaller by asking some tough questions.

Another tip I like is 'covering up' sections of your room with big sheets, so that only a part of it is exposed. That way, visually you are only concentrating on one section at a time.

You also need to figure out what you need from your room. Do you need a place to hang stuff? Do you need a place to put your books away? How about a laundry basket? Make a list, and then do some shopping.

ADHD tip; make sure you buy things you're going to use. Believe it or not, but hanging stuff may just be too much work. Don't buy 20 hangers if you're not going to use them. Rather, buy a coat rack where you can hang your bag, coat, etc.

I highly reccomend the book 'ADD friendly ways to organize your life' by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau. They have a section in the book devoted to this very issue!