View Full Version : Is this an asperger thing?

Mohammed
04-29-11, 12:48 PM
I get depressed when it's dark or during sunset, and I always feel good in the morning/afternoon even if I was extremely depressed the night before. I also noted that winter is more depressing since night is long and daytime is short.

Night time is also one of the reasons that make me abuse weed, I can be sober in daytime, but when I'm sober at night, I get extremely depressed.

Azkary
04-29-11, 01:11 PM
This is partly a biological thing. Your body receives sunlight and your brain gets the message that it's time to be awake, with darkness your brain gets the message that you're supposed to be asleep, that's how jetlag works. It's also been proven that the less sunlight you get the more you will have a tendency for depression.

I had that same feeling at sunset and on sunday afternoons just thinking that the weekend was over would get me down.

What worked for me was that when that time is coming I started a habit of doing something that cheered me up like watching a movie, play board games with my kids, etc.

Lunacie
04-29-11, 01:35 PM
It can also be an indication that you have low levels of Vitamin D. I have had seasonal depression for most of my life, starting in August before it ever starts getting dark and cold. Something in me recognises that the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer. I've been taking Vitamin D3 (the 3 is important) for about 6 months and intend to keep taking it over the summer so that hopefully I won't descend into the depths again when its time for school to start.

Fortune
04-29-11, 01:45 PM
It can also be an indication that you have low levels of Vitamin D. I have had seasonal depression for most of my life, starting in August before it ever starts getting dark and cold. Something in me recognises that the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer. I've been taking Vitamin D3 (the 3 is important) for about 6 months and intend to keep taking it over the summer so that hopefully I won't descend into the depths again when its time for school to start.

My vitamin D is epically low (or was before I started supplementing it a couple of months ago) but I usually find Summer far more depressing than Winter.

There's also seasonal affective disorder, but it doesn't sound quite that severe unless the OP is understating things.

tipoo
04-29-11, 06:53 PM
I've never heard that being related to aspergers, but as was mentioned it could mean SAD, or it could just be personality. Vitamin D deficiency I doubt, you could have it but I don't think its something that swings so wildly between night and day. I think if you had that, it would be more steady, less in the summer, more in the winter, little difference between night and day, but I'm no expert.

fracturedstory
04-29-11, 07:49 PM
I get very angry and restless during rain or storms. That is an autistic thing because the rain can throw me off my routine, storms are deafening because of my sensory sensitivity and when I look at lightning I could have a seizure.

I do feel like I have less energy during overcast days too.

Lunacie
04-29-11, 07:59 PM
I get very angry and restless during rain or storms. That is an autistic thing because the rain can throw me off my routine, storms are deafening because of my sensory sensitivity and when I look at lightning I could have a seizure.

I don't have seizure disorder, but I do have migraine disorder, and changes in baromentric pressure which bring in storms or clear them away can make me feel truly horrible. Today the wind has been blowing at a steady 25 mph with gusts up to 55 mph or higher - the sound of the wind makes me very restless and agitated and anxious because of the sensory issues. Nothing like the storms in the south this week, but we've had power poles snapped today from these wind gusts.

Mohammed
04-30-11, 01:36 PM
This is partly a biological thing. Your body receives sunlight and your brain gets the message that it's time to be awake, with darkness your brain gets the message that you're supposed to be asleep, that's how jetlag works. It's also been proven that the less sunlight you get the more you will have a tendency for depression.

I had that same feeling at sunset and on sunday afternoons just thinking that the weekend was over would get me down.

What worked for me was that when that time is coming I started a habit of doing something that cheered me up like watching a movie, play board games with my kids, etc.

It's not about the sunlight, even if's rainy I feel better in the day time.

Mohammed
04-30-11, 01:39 PM

I don't think it's vitamin. I think its psychological. The night represents the end of the day which somehow is depressing, maybe my hate for school is still haunting me, maybe I feel I didn't accomplish anything that day, I don't even know why.

Mohammed
04-30-11, 01:41 PM
My vitamin D is epically low (or was before I started supplementing it a couple of months ago) but I usually find Summer far more depressing than Winter.

There's also seasonal affective disorder, but it doesn't sound quite that severe unless the OP is understating things.

I love spring in summer, until it get boring then I can't wait for cold to come. Winter get boring fast, especially with long nights and snow, I hate both.

Mohammed
04-30-11, 01:44 PM

In the past I only experienced rain 1-4 times a year, so I liked rain, but now I can't stand it, it's somehow depressing.

StoicNate
04-30-11, 02:11 PM
That doesn't seem like Asperger's.

What you are describing sounds more like Seasonal Affective Disorder or something like that.

Go outside more to feel better.

fracturedstory
04-30-11, 09:10 PM
I don't have seizure disorder, but I do have migraine disorder, and changes in baromentric pressure which bring in storms or clear them away can make me feel truly horrible. Today the wind has been blowing at a steady 25 mph with gusts up to 55 mph or higher - the sound of the wind makes me very restless and agitated and anxious because of the sensory issues. Nothing like the storms in the south this week, but we've had power poles snapped today from these wind gusts.
I've got Tinnitus and when the air pressure drops my ears go crazy. Anything from the usual whooshing to ringing to sounds of machinery.

God I hate it but I can't get rid of it. It's proper ear damage from earplugs.

Right now I can hear white noise in my left ear. It's sunny today. :rolleyes: