View Full Version : Focalin versus concerta

hollywood
05-04-11, 10:08 PM
I would like to hear stories comparing the two and which worked better or wise. I notice that concerta really doesn't help much until late in the day for myself. Not certain but concerta certainly seems to help more with motivation as wel??

Downix
05-06-11, 01:29 PM
I am curious about this as well, as my son has been on 20 mg Focalin XR for most of his medication cycle (3 years now) and it's loosing it's edge, so concern over addiction, tolerance, etc is filling my head. We tried him on Adderall XR, but it was messing with his emotional stability in the afternoon, things would start irritating him that normally wouldn't, etc. So still huntng for other options.

Joker_Girl
05-06-11, 10:52 PM
I am on ritalin but our son when he was younger was on all kind of meds, he at different times was on Ritalin, Concerta, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Focalin.

I found leftover of his Focalin which he took 20 mg twice a day. I take Ritalin 20 mg. I took it to see how it would compare. (They did not have anything but the 5 mg ones so he had to take 4 of them at a time).

I thought it was a much better med than Ritalin, and if it gets where Ritalin does not work for me (as happened to our son after a year or two, though I have been on it nearly a year and a half and it still works)....anyhow if it gets where it doesnt work any more i am going to see if they will give me that rather than adderall or dexedrine. I thought Focalin felt like Ritalin but better and without so much crash. I thought it lasted longer. It did not give me much speedy feeling at all, less even than Ritalin, but it did not make me tired either. I really liked it.

I think this is a good med and hopefully there will be more use of it in the future and more information about it.

This was the last med our son was on prior to us getting neurofeedback for him (which enabled him to eventually get off of meds, believe it or not). I sure wish I could get neurofeedback but it is so expensive and the meds are so much cheaper. Anyways though, he had been on dexedrine prior to focalin and the focalin worked just as well.

hollywood
05-07-11, 10:30 AM
Well 4 5mg tabs focalin is 40 mg ritalin

Joker_Girl
05-09-11, 01:29 AM
It is? I thought they were equal! Wow he was on a pretty good sized dose then, for a little kid.

Well, that might explain why I liked it....I must have been buzzing a little and didn't even know it! It didnt give me a speedy sort of feel though.

It did seem like it lasted longer though. The IR ritalin wears off for me in a couple hours, and this seemed to take longer.

Oh well, so far this med I have is working, so I will just stick with it for now.

hollywood
05-09-11, 09:00 AM
ritalin wears off quickly, too many people are fixated on dosages. Fact is you don't have any control which dose works best. Yet you do have to try and keep it under off label maxims. There is always a chance that some sort of anxiety or depression prevents full medication benefits as well. Atleast for me. I was ruminating like crazy, got tired of that.