View Full Version : Sensitive to light...Really sensitive

tenese
05-08-11, 03:23 PM
I am kinda new to all of this as I was diagnosed with ADD a couple years ago.
My daughter has sensory integration disorder and I think I may have it too.
Does anyone have really sensitive eyes? I feel like I always need my sunglasses even on overcast days when the sun is not bright. I feel like the light just blinds me and it is hard for me to focus and I start to get anxious. I never really thought about it before. I just kind of lived with it.
I have always perferred the dark even as a child. I remember even hiding in my closet for hours because I just liked it. I know its wierd.
Even as an adult I never have my lights on. My family and friends complain that its always dark in my house. I have no problem reading in the dark as well which people always say "here I'll turn the light on for you so you can read" and I decline and they are amazed I can see in the dark.
Does anyone else have this problem or is just me?

Lunacie
05-08-11, 07:43 PM
I've been fighting with other people most of my life because I want the curtains closed and they want them open. The light is too bright. Driving is a nightmare for me. In the daytime it's the sun reflecting of all those glass windows in other cars, at night it's the headlights blinding me. Just horrible.

Big box stores that are too bright are not good places for me - we've had some threads here about how much some of hate those stores.

But I'm too sensitive about everything. Small noises drive me crazy, loud noises make me feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest, annoying noises (like the ice cream truck) make me want to get a shotgun and Make The Noise Stop. Smells are bad for me, especially fragrances like air freshener and fabric softener and cigarette smoke. And touch is a problem, I can only wear certain kinds of clothes, and weather that's really hot or cold makes me feel horrible.

You are not alone. Welcome to the forums. There is some really great information in the parenting section - look for a sticky near the top of the forum called Dizfriz's Corner.

anonymouslyadd
05-08-11, 09:18 PM
My eyes are really sensitive. I've always thought it was because they were blue. My younger brother is like me and has blue eyes. Adderall makes it worse.

tipoo
05-08-11, 11:05 PM
I've been fighting with other people most of my life because I want the curtains closed and they want them open. The light is too bright.

Story of my life right there.

dsvlil1
05-08-11, 11:44 PM
I have always had this issue!
I even had blinds installed in my room cos too much light was coming through the curtains.......
The funny thing is sunlight also puts me to sleep, it doesn't wake me up at all:confused:

Kaimei
05-09-11, 01:51 AM
I have bad eyesight, so lighting is always an issue for me.

I hate being outside on those days when it's slightly overcast, and the sunlight is just diffused brightness. And dusk and dawn - I'll do everything I can to avoid driving in them. Both of those situations give me headaches, and screw with my ability to see clearly.

I like sunlight filtering into the house - it cheers me up, and can get me going, but direct sunshine is too much to bear. When I'm painting or doing something like that, I need certain types of light to focus properly on details, but not so much that it bounces off the paper or wet paint.

Unless I'm trying to do something, I like the house dimly lit, and I'm totally comfortable cruising around with most of the lights off. I find low light very soothing; it reduces the amount of stimulus my brain has to deal with!

And lightbulbs...oh, geez. Fluorescent bulbs, certain kinds of artificial lights...they're nightmares. How anyone can stand them is beyond me.

erin_m
05-18-11, 02:02 AM
I'm the same way. I don't know why people want to have halogen lights on their cars or use the fog lights when it's not foggy, it's like murder to my eyes driving at night. A dark road is no problem for me. Heck, I don't even really notice that much with a headlight out, since one headlight is more than enough light for me to see well with.

Now, if I could just have my dad turn off the hall light for me at night.... I'm the last one home at night and he always leaves the hall light on. Sure, it's sweet of him to think of me, but I don't need it.

And I also need sunglasses when it's overcast, or I squint like crazy and I'm sure people think I'm glaring at them or something. :D

Fortune
05-18-11, 02:36 AM
I wear sunglasses whenever I am outside during daylight hours. On a sunny day it is very difficult for me to see things because, well, bright. On overcast days I do better without my sunglasses but going without them means I will get overloaded and probably get a migraine as well.

The last four places I lived, I did everything I could to minimize the light coming into my bedroom. In one house I actually used collapsed cardboard boxes to completely block this gigantic window I had. The blind let sunlight through. Right now I have a heavy blanket hanging over venetian blinds.

I had a housemate once who expressed his disdain for the fact that I wore sunglasses everywhere, but, really...not wearing them was always terrible.

lotuslove
06-12-11, 05:49 PM
I don't like bright light either, especially in the mornings when I get up. The only time I like bright light is when I'm cooking or maybe sewing something or anything that I have to pay attention to detail. I read with the lights dimmed down as low as they can be so that I can still see the words. My husband laughs at me because sometimes I wear my sunglasses when I wake in the morning and all the lights are on in the house while the kids get ready for school. He calls me a vampire. I wear my sunglasses all the time, even on overcast days.

I am sensitive to noise also. I have problems especially with auditory overload. Too much noise from various sources all at once i.e. television, kids talking, dog barking, and hubby talking on the phone, just like right now at this very moment...lol. It's too distracting for my ADD brain. Even little noises here and there will disrupt my train of thought. It's very irritating especially when I'm trying to get something done like homework.

Sometimes I daydream about being a hermit in a small house all nice and dark and by myself. Just me and the essentials. How easy that would be! I would soon miss my kids and husband though so that'll never work....lol.

loverainbow
12-30-15, 04:29 PM
I almost cried in joy to find you guys. I hate, sunlight, raging violent hate. I want it to be evening, forever. My room is always dark, cold, quiet. i hate being exposed to bright lights, but I can tolerate indoor lamps better. The sun, though...it's so painful. I'd rather not.

Lunacie
12-30-15, 08:02 PM
I almost cried in joy to find you guys. I hate, sunlight, raging violent hate. I want it to be evening, forever. My room is always dark, cold, quiet. i hate being exposed to bright lights, but I can tolerate indoor lamps better. The sun, though...it's so painful. I'd rather not.

Just the sun ... I can tolerate that ... with dark glasses.

It's the light reflecting off a car's windshield or the chrome trim, or just the shiny paint on the fender. OMG! Pain like a flame being held next to my eyes.

sarahsweets
12-31-15, 03:49 AM
Do you see the glasses I have on in my avatar? Those are new for me. I found out I have a slight astigmatisim but whats more important was how hard it is for me to see at night due to bright lights and any other time with artificial light and sunlight. My glasses have a special rose tint to them. They help cut the glare of night driving and cut the glare of artificial light. I even wore them during a play and it was amazing. I had an extensive eye exam and it was all worth it.

stef
12-31-15, 04:23 AM
Yes and no; I actually crave sunlight and I have seasonal affective disorder (it just gets Too Much in June and July though). I only need sunglasses when it's super bright outside. I don't like closed curtains at all!

But i absolutely hate harsh overhead lighting, someone is always turning on a light "so you can see better" and it's just mega annoying. I love watching TV in the dark. And if i have to go to another room in the evening to get something I never turn the light on.

Lunacie
12-31-15, 01:46 PM
Do you see the glasses I have on in my avatar? Those are new for me. I found out I have a slight astigmatisim but whats more important was how hard it is for me to see at night due to bright lights and any other time with artificial light and sunlight. My glasses have a special rose tint to them. They help cut the glare of night driving and cut the glare of artificial light. I even wore them during a play and it was amazing. I had an extensive eye exam and it was all worth it.

Rose colored lenses? I'll have to try on a pair and see if they help me.

I use the yellow tinted lenses that hunters wear to cut down on glare from snow.

thembajohn
02-09-16, 06:11 PM
Hi! Cannot nod more to all the comments on this thread as I have been suffering from light sensitivity and problems reading due to tracking words on a page (I am an academic and play it over text-to speech).

I wondered if any of you have noticed any changes through medication (both stims and non-stims?) I noticed that ritalin somewhat increased the problems.

Also I have noticed that on some days light is an issue, on others not at all. Anyone know why this is?

ADanne
10-21-17, 10:22 PM
I have this exact problem. I live in the dark and prefer it that way. Like you my family members always argue with me and turn lights on, complaining that they can't see. I feel I squint whenever I'm outside during the day, not to mention my eyeballs often burn on sunny days, leaving them bloodshot. Not fun. I have no idea why it happens.

sarahsweets
10-22-17, 08:05 AM
I have major light sensitivity due to an autoimmune disease and having blue eyes, By accident I discovered that rose tinted glasses save me. I had some goofy pharmacy sunglasses that were rose tinted and went into my eye doctor. I wear nightvison glasses and she agreed that the pinkish tint was good for the halo vision and bright lights, fluroescent lights. I have a pair that are tinted a deeper pink for bright sun. It was the best thing I accidentally discovered. Plus, you get to look like a rock star wearing tinted glasses inside sometimes. I did get a specific note to keep in my car from my eye doctor in case I get pulled over so cops wont think something fishy is up with this girl wearing shades at night.

Fraser_0762
10-22-17, 08:10 AM
Heh, I always thought it was just me. I used to hate those fluorescent lights that I had to endure throughout my school years. I often wonder whether I would have focused better if it wasn't for those headache inducing lights.
People think i'm strange because I keep all of my blinds down on a sunny day. They must think i'm a vampire or something.

Little Missy
10-22-17, 08:31 AM
Heh, I always thought it was just me. I used to hate those fluorescent lights that I had to endure throughout my school years. I often wonder whether I would have focused better if it wasn't for those headache inducing lights.
People think i'm strange because I keep all of my blinds down on a sunny day. They must think i'm a vampire or something.

AND those lights emit that buzz :eek:

Blinds closed, curtains shut and only lamps as needed, low wattage of course. My car windows are black. The sun is too intense here, yet I love the views it produces.

No matter how good I get prescription sunglasses they never produce enough clarity to see properly from them.

I love all day thick dark cloudy wet days. Scotland! I'd love it.

Fraser_0762
10-22-17, 08:40 AM
AND those lights emit that buzz :eek:

Blinds closed, curtains shut and only lamps as needed, low wattage of course. My car windows are black. The sun is too intense here, yet I love the views it produces.

No matter how good I get prescription sunglasses they never produce enough clarity to see properly from them.

I love all day thick dark cloudy wet days. Scotland! I'd love it.

Well, that's usually the case. Although we've had some really strange whether these past few years. It's October and i'm sweating my @$$ off. Even when it's cloudy, it's stuffy and the air feels thin. :eyebrow:

Fraser_0762
10-22-17, 09:39 AM
Whether! Damn you auto correct!..... Yes, it was auto correct.... :eyebrow:

peripatetic
10-22-17, 10:06 AM
certain medications make me very photosensitive and i'm unable to sleep with sunlight in my presence, but i don't think i'm super unusual in that sense. when i was growing up, simply turning on my bedroom light woke me and i couldn't go back to sleep.

Fortune
10-23-17, 01:05 PM
I have major light sensitivity due to an autoimmune disease and having blue eyes, By accident I discovered that rose tinted glasses save me. I had some goofy pharmacy sunglasses that were rose tinted and went into my eye doctor. I wear nightvison glasses and she agreed that the pinkish tint was good for the halo vision and bright lights, fluroescent lights. I have a pair that are tinted a deeper pink for bright sun. It was the best thing I accidentally discovered. Plus, you get to look like a rock star wearing tinted glasses inside sometimes. I did get a specific note to keep in my car from my eye doctor in case I get pulled over so cops wont think something fishy is up with this girl wearing shades at night.

I also have light sensitivity (photophobia in my case although it's not a phobia, it's a sensitivity to bright light) and blue eyes (which makes it worse), and have found that rose tinted glasses help a lot.