View Full Version : Trazodone - more harm than good!

kb85
05-09-11, 09:47 PM
I was recently prescribed Trazodone 50 mg tablets for use as a sleep aid. What a terrible experience! About 30 mins after ingesting, I began to feel very drowsy. I headed up to bed and figured I'd fall right asleep.

After lying down, I became so restless that I had to keep moving my arms and legs every few minutes. It was actually physically painful for me to stay in one position. This lasted several hours - I didn't fall asleep until around 5 AM. Around 10 AM, I woke up but then fell fast asleep until 1 PM. Oops! :eek:

I'm really confused by Trazodone because although it made me drowsy, it took me hours to actually fall asleep due to the odd restlessness it induced.

Has anyone else had negative experiences with Trazodone?

puddlediver
05-09-11, 10:09 PM
I was recently prescribed Trazodone 50 mg tablets for use as a sleep aid. What a terrible experience! About 30 mins after ingesting, I began to feel very drowsy. I headed up to bed and figured I'd fall right asleep.

After lying down, I became so restless that I had to keep moving my arms and legs every few minutes. It was actually physically painful for me to stay in one position. This lasted several hours - I didn't fall asleep until around 5 AM. Around 10 AM, I woke up but then fell fast asleep until 1 PM. Oops! :eek:

I'm really confused by Trazodone because although it made me drowsy, it took me hours to actually fall asleep due to the odd restlessness it induced.

Has anyone else had negative experiences with Trazodone?

yeah trazodone didn't help me sleep either

Kaimei
05-09-11, 10:14 PM
Personally, I loathed that stuff. I had much the same experience - it seemed to kick in pretty quickly, made me groggy, but didn't do much else. And I had that drug-hangover zombie effect every morning after I took it.

My doctor wanted me to stick with it for at least two weeks, so I did. After that I promptly told him that I'd rather suffer my insomnia without any extra side effects, and I wasn't going to take it again.

kb85
05-09-11, 10:39 PM
My doctor wanted me to stick with it for at least two weeks, so I did. After that I promptly told him that I'd rather suffer my insomnia without any extra side effects, and I wasn't going to take it again.

I can't believe you stuck with it for two weeks! I'm never taking that stuff again. Have you had any luck with other sleep aids?

Trazodone must work for SOME people, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be on the market. Maybe we are just overly sensitive to it?

kb85
05-09-11, 10:40 PM
yeah trazodone didn't help me sleep either

How do you like Restoril?

Kaimei
05-09-11, 10:53 PM
I can't believe you stuck with it for two weeks! I'm never taking that stuff again. Have you had any luck with other sleep aids?

Trazodone must work for SOME people, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be on the market. Maybe we are just overly sensitive to it?
I'm not sure about increased sensitivity, but I do know that using it as a sleep aid is an off-label use, if a popular one. It's actually an anti-depressant that works on serotonin. That may have something to do with it, though my psych (the one who manages my ADHD) was surprised that I had so many issues with it. Apparently, it's got a pretty good success rate.

I gave up on prescription sleep aids - once I lost my job, it really wasn't as critical. Benadryl generally works if I really need something. Plus, once I got on the Adderall, my insomnia problems decreased significantly - I'm assuming then that some of them were due to the hyperactivity.

nanobabes
07-14-11, 12:01 AM
Ugh I just got prescribed trazadone and am very ambivalent about it. I work at a psych hospital, and I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure I've heard a lot of patients complain about it.

I went to the psychiatrist to try to get evaluated for ADHD, but I feel like he doesn't really believe in it, he keeps on focusing on my depression which I think is just a response to ADHD. He said he could only prescribe a stimulant after cardiology tests and seeing a neurologist, so I asked to get prescribed Wellbutrin in the meantime. Thankfully he obliged, but he also suggested trazadone and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have.

I'm concerned about the weight gain and grogginess I've heard people associate with trazadone, but since Wellbutrin is a mild stimulant I suppose it might counter those side-effects?

And he said I could take trazadone as needed as a sleep aid but have read elsewhere that you need to take it consistently to properly adjust to it, can anyone confirm either claim? I seriously don't trust my psychiatrist.

Abi
07-14-11, 12:06 AM
NOTHING works for me.

But try Ambien or Xanax

t-bird
09-03-11, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised to hear you all dislike Trazodone! I've been taking it for a year now to help with my restless legs and I think it is wonderful!!! Not only does it calm my legs down but I also sleep better then I ever have. And it only costs $4 a month!

Hathor
09-03-11, 08:58 PM
it made me feel like I have to stretch all the time, (esp my legs) and didn't help me sleep

Morph6
10-06-11, 07:06 PM
I've been taking 50mg trazodone for amout a month to help me sleep and so far I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I use to take Ambien and that left me sleepy through the whole day, but with trazodone I wake up and I am ready to go. I have not experience any side effects of the medication. Sleep aids will work differently for everyone, so you have to try and see which one works the best for you.

D3s0xyn
01-17-12, 08:40 AM
The issue with trazodone is that it gets metabolized into a very hideous drug known as mCPP that can cause migraines, anxiety and unpleasant physical effects. While I never have had any experances with trazodone, I've heard quite a lot about it, and almost all negative. Defiantly something I'd avoid like the plague.

delaware13
03-15-13, 02:38 AM

Has anyone else had negative experiences with Trazodone?[/QUOTE]

I also was prescribed 50mg/night of trazodone. Actually technically it says take either 1/2-1 of the 100mg trazodone pill. I've been on it for two weeks and have noticed only a few side effects.

Rare: hullicnations when waking up in middle of night (only happened once on 100mg dose at 3am)

1-2 nights/week: restless legs prior to sleep (similar to when taking SSRIs for me in the past)

Almost Daily: wake up feeling hungover, not wanting to wake-up (LITERALLY HAVING TO POP MY ADD MED INTO MY MOUTH AS SOON AS ALARM GOES OFF just to wake up)

Thats my exp so far, in 2 weeks i see my doc again and will look for an alternative

VOltaire
03-15-13, 03:29 AM
Garbage!!

Raye
03-15-13, 07:38 AM
This stuff was also horrible for me. It did the same thing as Seroquel. Made my body paralyzed in bed but I stayed awake forever.

El Goobercabra
03-31-13, 12:48 PM
I might have to start a new thread but figured I could ask here first:

has anyone had success with trazodone as a sleep aid, but finds it seems to impact other things negatively? I feel sometimes more subdued and weighty, like it's a big effort to get up and do things. I maybe don't feel quite as sharp on the ADD meds, but if I'm getting consistent sleep I might be able to live with that. But it's more a feeling that my day is geared towards when I can come back home and take the pills and go to bed. Maybe it's the weather and the fact that it's Easter, but I feel just better, physically and mentally, this morning, after a pretty good night's sleep with no trazodone. Things in my life are going pretty well, and yet the way I feel--sluggish, not wanting to be engaged in as many things as I usually desire--isn't how I usually feel when things are going well. I also think I may be experiencing some weight gain side effects from the trazodone, which I'm sure doesn't help.

Lunacie
03-31-13, 05:23 PM
I'm surprised to hear you all dislike Trazodone! I've been taking it for a year now to help with my restless legs and I think it is wonderful!!! Not only does it calm my legs down but I also sleep better then I ever have. And it only costs $4 a month!

I took Trazadone for about six months, and seem to have reset my sleep
cycle or something - I haven't needed it for the last couple of months.

It's even cheaper than that for me. My script is for 150 mg and I cut each
pill into quarters, so they're less than 40 mg each and only $1 a month.

It works great for me, it really reduces the restless limbs and leaves no
hangover feeling.

Maybe those who feel worse with Trazadone would do better with a smaller
dose as well. Maybe cut a 100 mg tablet into quarters?

MellyFishButt
03-31-13, 06:48 PM
I slept like a dead person but had the wickedest nightmares. I mean, stuff that you would see in the most grotesque horror film. I only took it that one time, labeled the bottle 'death' and shoved it in the back of my drawer.

You may wonder why I bothered to keep the bottle and I don't have an answer other than me being a pill hoarder.

Lunacie
03-31-13, 06:54 PM
I slept like a dead person but had the wickedest nightmares. I mean, stuff that you would see in the most grotesque horror film. I only took it that one time, labeled the bottle 'death' and shoved it in the back of my drawer.

You may wonder why I bothered to keep the bottle and I don't have an answer other than me being a pill hoarder.

I've had nightmares like that a few times - never related to any medication
I was taking. Most of my really intense dreams or nightmares happen when
I'm having trouble breathing (allergy season or bronchitis).

One nightmare involved babies and blood . . . uck! That's all I remember
about it, and I wish I didn't remember that much.

Twiggy
04-01-13, 12:55 AM
Trazodone made my body go paralyzed/impossible to move and that made me anxious. Although, I had weird and interesting dreams.

Mandalagirl
05-07-13, 02:09 PM
Trazadone...does not work well for me at all. It did in fact help me sleep, and I didn't feel groggy but the side effects for me is it made me even more agitated and moody. My drivers at work told me I was being super grumpy and curt so I got off it as soon as I could.

I also have trouble with Ultram. Makes me high as a kite and sick as a dog. I know it is a pain killer/muscle relaxer. But the effects stink.

I currently have been taking Lorazepram for sleep. it works fabulous, helps me turn my brain off. But I haven't been diagnosed with adhd quite yet, I have gone undectected all these years so i will be looking into that here in the next two weeks:)

Parterxred
05-12-13, 02:24 AM
I stuck with Trazodone for a year because I was traumatized by an experience with Lunesta. The dosage of this medication was very inconsistent, varying every night. 200mg per night was the prescription, but it could range anywhere from 25mg to 200mg. No matter what the dose, I slept for 12 hours and I was guaranteed to feel groggy in the morning. In my region, Trazodone is the sleeping pill doctors feel the most comfortable prescribing. It's also very inexpensive. Overall I would call it sloppy.

Fraser_0762
05-12-13, 06:03 AM
I had a really bad experience with Trazodone quite recently.

I was prescribed 50mg's to take each night to aid with sleep, but was told I could bump it up to 100 if I didn't respond to 50.

Anyway, I took 50mgs for a few nights and didn't really feel anything. So one night I bumped it up to 100. However, I forgot I had taken it and ended up taking another 100mgs on top of it! :eek:

So once those 200mgs kicked in, I couldn't stand up straight or walk straight. I felt dizzier than I ever did on any pub outing or house party.

I felt like I had no control over my heart rhythm either. It was beating in such a controlled manner, but beyond my own control.

Also got this horrible ringing noise in my ears, like really severe tinnitus! :eyebrow:

And don't get me started on the boners. :doh:

BellaVita
05-12-13, 07:36 AM
Trazodone seems to be the only thing that works for me.

FerretLover
05-12-13, 06:43 PM

It works great for me. I have problems falling and staying a sleep, but with Trazodone, I sleep all night, feeling rested upon waking.
Sorry to hear so many have had problems with this medication.
I take 100mg at a time, and have been taking this medication since late 2009 with no problems.

Ill_Favors
05-12-13, 10:27 PM
Works great for me been on it for over ten years at least if not more. I am currently on 300 mg. I can't sleep without it!

Darksanity
05-16-13, 01:07 AM
I've taken 50mg trazodone years for sleep with little problem. My only concern is mCPP as metabolite which I believe may exacerbate anxiety during day-time.

Hypothesis; maybe you're a fast-metabolizer (trazodone is metabolized by the CYP3A4 liver enzyme) which could result in mCPP reaching significant concentrations quickly.

bassic
06-10-13, 10:30 PM
Hypothesis; maybe you're a fast-metabolizer (trazodone is metabolized by the CYP3A4 liver enzyme) which could result in mCPP reaching significant concentrations quickly.

I second that idea... I took a few years back, and I'm an insanely fast metabolizer (Like, I will have a shot of vodka, get slightly buzzed after 10 minutes, be sober again after 30 min + mini-hangover headache for 15 minutes.)

Here's how Trazodone it affected me:

1) Took the Trazodone, went to bed
2) I'd get progressively sleepier (good)
3) After about 20 minutes, an awful weight on my chest would start and I'd feel increasingly weird and "paralyzed" (bad)
4) Anxiety would kick in - an urge to "sober up"
5) 2 hours later I'd start feeling better
6) I'd fall asleep.

Needless to say, it wasn't quite the right medication for my sleeping issues, and I stopped taking them altogether after about a month of heroic (?) suffering. :/

Laserbeak
08-03-13, 02:56 AM
The only problem I had with Trazodone was when I took it with Amitriptyline.

janiew
08-03-13, 04:31 AM
My pdoc prescribed trazodone as needed for sleep in 50 mg tabs. I take one quarter when I can't sleep, not every night. Works like a charm. Pdoc knows I don't want benzos or major sh*t.

janiew
08-03-13, 04:32 AM
Evidently, I should take a quarter tab of trazodone now.....

Laserbeak
08-17-13, 08:36 AM
My GP gave me a script for this as an additional sleep aid (I'm not sure why, I didn't even ask for it), but after I started going to a psychiatrist for this sort of stuff he took me off it immediately. I didn't really take it anyway, it would make me sleep forever -- I think I made it over 24 hrs several times.

Lunacie
08-17-13, 11:08 AM
My GP gave me a script for this as an additional sleep aid (I'm not sure why, I didn't even ask for it), but after I started going to a psychiatrist for this sort of stuff he took me off it immediately. I didn't really take it anyway, it would make me sleep forever -- I think I made it over 24 hrs several times.

Odd. It was a psychiatrist who gave me a script for Trazadone. I take a
very small dose and sleep great with no hungover feeling in the morning.
After a couple of months of taking it every night, I found I could sleep
without it, and now I just take it occasionally. I wonder if your dose was
too large?

Laserbeak
08-18-13, 03:52 PM
I started with 50 mg then I think she upped it to 100 mg.

Laserbeak
08-18-13, 03:56 PM
He also took me off Amitriptyline but I still take it once in a while when the Temazepam isn't working.

silivrentoliel
08-18-13, 06:39 PM
I can take 50mg w/o having my ADHD meds in my system and I sleep great and can wake up in the mornings... 150mg works best when I *do* have my ADHD meds in my system, but since that makes me sleep too long, I deal with 100mg....

So far, I like it... but it seems there's no middle ground to this medication. Either you like it, or you hate it.

HAPPYSUZIE10
09-20-13, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone! I've been taking 200 mg of trazadone for 14 years and have had no problems whatsoever. I sleep so good. It's a blessing. I only take synthroid and trazadone. I don't mix with other meds.
Ambien, to me, is dangerous. I tried it and it was a nightmare.
Just saying, ask your Doctor. Trazadone is safe.

adhdseeker
02-18-16, 12:37 AM
Trazodone experience: This made me sleep for a very long time! I was such a zombie when I woke up (even after 8 hours asleep) that I really couldn’t get myself up out of bed so I slept another 4 hours for multiple days in a row. (I was on vacation.)
I wonder, though, if I HAD gotten up if it would have been manageable with a cup of coffee.

My other complaint in response to this drug is something sort of mysterious but I have reason to believe it made me pee much more frequently than usual. It was annoying enough that at the time I told myself I would never take it again.

Nonetheless…… I think I’m going to ask my doctor if I can try it out again.

I can take 50mg w/o having my ADHD meds in my system and I sleep great and can wake up in the mornings... 150mg works best when I *do* have my ADHD meds in my system, but since that makes me sleep too long, I deal with 100mg….

Another poster mentioned something similar….. I’m curious: Do you guys think that having ADHD meds in your system makes your quality of sleep lower? And/or do you find you have to sleep longer when your ADHD meds are in your system?
And, secondly, are you the same group of people that think your medication helps you fall asleep?

If I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t go back to sleep, the first thing I check or is whether or not my meds ran out. Then I take more. At the same time, I have a lot of sleep issues and tend to sleep for very long hours. I am wondering if medication in my system is contributing to this? It’s easier to fall asleep with meds, though. Thoughts?