View Full Version : Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine price increases due to shortages

salleh
02-22-10, 08:27 PM
hhhmmmmmmm veerrryyy interesting ......as I recall, when I went into the local Rite-Aid in San Rafael, California to get my dex, lo and behold, without so much as a "oh by the way, the price is going up" warning .....my cost went up significantly.....I don't remember exactly how much, but I do remember having a few heated words with the pharmacy staff about the price raise ...oh this was late summer 2009.

..........I mean, come on, this stuff has been on the market for umpty-ump years, nay decades, now, and I would also wager that it probably costs 2 or 3 cents to make, what the h*** are those greedy monsters pulling ?????....I thought it was the pharmacy, but I guess they were telling the truth about their cost going up .....

.......and, as I pay for my own meds, it was a most unpleasant shock !.....

and what is wierd...is that I spend several months of the year out here in Michigan, and just a couple of months ago, I found a pharmacy that charges significantly less for the exact same meds......

walgreens w/ a "discount" is about $88 for 180 ,10m tablets of dextroamphedemine, and the local pharmacy ????? the same amount, kind and strength.....is $68...

now what's that all about I wonder ????

onlyne
03-07-10, 01:23 PM
The price in PA, of 90 generic dexedrine spansule caps, was $95 in perhaps November. This is at a grocery's pharmacy where they'd been cheapest, a little under Wal-Mart's price

Now it's $255. Wal-Mart no longer carries it.

Those who found it hard to pay $95 -- what will they do?

Chuck61686
03-08-10, 08:23 PM
onlyne - what part of PA did you buy it in?

onlyne
03-21-10, 09:00 AM
onlyne - what part of PA did you buy it in?

Sorry -- I've been "offlyne." That's in Central PA.

onlyne
03-21-10, 09:55 AM
The price in PA, of 90 generic dexedrine spansule caps, was $95 in perhaps November.
Now it's $255. Wal-Mart no longer carries it.

That should have been 120 caps, 15 mg.

Not so bad as 90, except for my math.

onlyne
03-31-10, 01:37 AM
Last month $255.00... today, $292.00.

If another company (in addition to Barr) began manufacturing them, imagine how much the price would plummet; instead, we can only wonder if it'll hit $300 in May.

ginniebean
03-31-10, 03:13 AM
Imagine, this drug was first made in 1887 it should be extremely cheap.

onlyne
05-29-10, 05:08 PM
Does this have anything to do with the shortage?

I have 100% drug coverage, so I won't notice the increase. But, I thought the shortage was due to "improper" (aka street sale) of dexedrine. Possibly this higher price has to do with the shortage and trying to deter the street sale of the script medication. <p><p><hr>

Perhaps security costs are higher at some stores that sell it. Still, I'm pretty cynical by now, about the "reasons" drug companies stoop to, to justify what looks like price-gouging. We do have this healthcare "issue" in the US, with pharmaceuticals contributing an enormous percentage of the crisis.
<p>
Latest price for 120 spansule caps: $326.73. I should have checked prices for Strattera before posting this, since it is or was, among the highest.
<p>
Strattera and a couple others weren't good before, and nothing else works like dexedrine. But beyond price, on principle alone, I should quit abetting Barr in these hideous increases. :( <p>

What to use I don't know -- I'm thankful dexedrine isn't life-sustaining.
<p><p>
Price Recap:<br>
<u>Late 2009:</u><br>
<b>$80 - $90 </b> as it had been for years <br>
<u>March 2010:</u><br>
<b>$255.00 </b><br>
<u>April 2010</u><br>
<b>$292.00 </b> <br>
<u>May 2010</u><br>
<b><it>Nominal increase</b> -- < $5.00 higher </it><br>
<u>June 2010</u><br>
<b>$326.75</b><br>
<p><p>

AndreStefan
03-20-11, 08:17 PM
Imagine, this drug was first made in 1887 it should be extremely cheap.
I believe that only ONE company is distributing the drug... so they can charge whatever they chose. right? how awful.

maxygolf
03-23-11, 12:51 AM
my pharmacist told me my brand name spansule price doubles this month in South Carolina.

salleh
05-12-11, 01:19 PM
I went to drop off my script at the new local Target, ( near Berkeley, Ca) and found out the price of 300 10mg tabs is $109.99 ....wow .....that's roughly 33 cents a pill.....

the best price I have yet to see.....I am thrilled....and no attitude by the people there.....they are really nice.....

BlackorWhite
05-12-11, 06:54 PM
I noticed the same thing, I take 10 mg caps as well as teh 15 mg spansules. I have insurance so pay the copay, but I looked at teh receipt last time i was at the pharmacy and the caps were dirt cheap. 60 caps was like 24 bucks (full price not my price) and the spansules granted there was more of them and higher dose, 90 x 15mg was something like 300 dollars, estimate. I'm guessing the caps are cheaper to make then the long acting spansules.

salleh
05-12-11, 07:09 PM
I think you mean tablets ? ....."caps" is short for capsules, which is what spansules really are .....

are your 10 mg meds orange / peach tablets ?

that is the dex of which I speak, and yes the tablets are very much cheaper than the spansules.....

and just to make things as clear as possible, the tablets are IR and the spansules are XR

laughcry
06-02-11, 05:54 PM
I take 5mg Dexedrine tablets because they are actually cheaper then the 10mg ones. A few months ago I was paying roughly $22 for #360, Now I pay $13 for #180 tablets without insurance. (used to be all IR for the month, but I have found half IR and half ER works well for me) This is with the Walgreens prescription savings card, which to the best of my recollection runs me about $20 per year. I forgot how much they charge for the 10mg tablets, but it was certainly more then the equivalent dosage in 5mg tablets.

salleh
06-02-11, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tip ......hmmm.....wonder what they'll say if I ask for 600 5mg ? hee hee......they are really nice and non-eye-brow lifting there......

Notafadd
09-02-11, 01:36 PM
Just picked up my prescription for the month and the cost had nearly doubled!! I paid this time, but I'll go back to IR if this is the new normal. These are just the Teva CRs. Nothing special. Has anyone else seen huge price rises like this recently?

Macavity224
09-03-11, 02:23 PM
Just picked up my prescription for the month and the cost had nearly doubled!! I paid this time, but I'll go back to IR if this is the new normal. These are just the Teva CRs. Nothing special. Has anyone else seen huge price rises like this recently?

I thought the only extended release Dexedrines were the brand name?

salleh
09-03-11, 03:40 PM
Yep, went in to get my usual scrip of 300 10mg IR ...dex ....the price went from 109.99 to 152.........

I looked shocked and the pharmacist said ....how much did you pay before ? I told her, she looked up the price and it had gone up but she charged me the 109 price anyway ......

I don't know whether or not she'll be able to do that again !

and they have been having trouble getting Adderall there too ......

I suspect that Teva ( the only makers of dex IR since they bought out Barr) thought ....hey lots of people are switching to dex with the adderall shortage, let's raise the price .......

whatta ya wanna bet ?

Macavity224
09-03-11, 05:36 PM
Yep, went in to get my usual scrip of 300 10mg IR ...dex ....the price went from 109.99 to 152.........

I looked shocked and the pharmacist said ....how much did you pay before ? I told her, she looked up the price and it had gone up but she charged me the 109 price anyway ......

I don't know whether or not she'll be able to do that again !

and they have been having trouble getting Adderall there too ......

I suspect that Teva ( the only makers of dex IR since they bought out Barr) thought ....hey lots of people are switching to dex with the adderall shortage, let's raise the price .......

whatta ya wanna bet ?

That's actually a strong possibility...seeing as I just did that about 2 weeks ago. Not because of the shortage, though.

andgarden
09-04-11, 12:18 AM
Corepharma looks set to get into the generic Spansule game right about now (http://www.corepharma.com/html/index.aspx?page=products&pageid=97&tabid=23&productid=32&brandid=36&nm=Dextroamphetamine%20Sulfate%20ER). Recall that they also have the license to make the branded version through their subsidiary, Amedra, so it looks like their generic caps will be 100% equivalent to the real thing. Here's (http://www.corepharma.com/images/PhotoGallery/Dextroamphetamine%20Sulfate%20ER%2010%20mg%20PIC.J PG) their 10mg cap.

Notafadd
09-13-11, 03:04 PM
I thought the only extended release Dexedrines were the brand name?

In the US, AFAIK, Dexedrine® does not exist, it's a brand name that stuck, kind of like aspirin or heroin :D (seriously, look it up!).GSK made Dexedrine, but they pulled out or sold out or something, so it's only made by a few generic makers. In my area, I've only ever seen Teva.

That's why this is good news:
Corepharma looks set to get into the generic Spansule game right about now (http://www.corepharma.com/html/index.aspx?page=products&pageid=97&tabid=23&productid=32&brandid=36&nm=Dextroamphetamine%20Sulfate%20ER). Recall that they also have the license to make the branded version through their subsidiary, Amedra, so it looks like their generic caps will be 100% equivalent to the real thing. Here's (http://www.corepharma.com/images/PhotoGallery/Dextroamphetamine%20Sulfate%20ER%2010%20mg%20PIC.J PG) their 10mg cap.

Although I've only ever taken Teva brand, I find them to be very inconsistent. Also, it'd be nice if they'd take the food coloring out. I avoid it in everything I ingest except these damn tablets because I HAVE NO CHOICE!

Anyway, yep, prices are high. Without insurance my 30 day supply would be nearly $400. I have insurance, but it's still more than I want to pay. I might see if I can try adderall as a replacement.

BR549
09-13-11, 03:20 PM
^^Glaxo sold it's US rights to Dexedrine to Corepharma. They retained their Dexedrine rights outside of the US. Corepharma is the parent company of Amedra, who manufactures Dexedrine. It's my understanding that their brand is still being manufactured in the same facilities that Glaxo used to to manufacture Dexedrine.

Teva raised the prices on some of it's generic drugs. Dexedrine and Adderall were those listed.

I posted a thread on this in the Adderall section, since members have talked about Adderall IR increasing in price.

www.cardinalhealth.com/mps/wcm/connect/7d60c78048231cecad8cef76cf744e05/Generics+eNews+August+23+2011.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=7d60c78048231cecad8cef76cf744e05

Cardinal is one of the 3 major a drug distributors in the US.

Killface1981
10-16-11, 09:05 AM
Where do you get 300 Dex ER for 150 dollars? Mine went up from I have no idea(probably less than a hundred to 189.99.) I call other places and they would say 259.99 or other crazy numbers that would take money from my cat food, boxed wine, and grilled chicken sandwich budget.

Froggy17
11-18-11, 09:11 PM
I just called Walmart without insurance for a month of genetic dexedrine it will cost 172 for 20mg twice a day and Walgreens was 184 then vyvance was 189 Walmart and 178 Walgreens then dexedrine was 471 15mg twice a day for 30 days Walmart didn't carry it ritalin la 10mg 30 days was 332 generic 4 dollars plain tablets not long acting. It's all so much I am going crazy sad I have to choose my meds by price not how they help me. Back to the drawling board for me hope this helps also this is with out insurance and in new Mexico. Gonna call Costco tomorrow then go from there. Good luck

littlesavedgirl
12-01-11, 06:04 PM
Has anyone in Canada been told recently of a price increase for Dexedrine?
My pharmacist here in Ontario just told me the price was increased by the manufacturer, but the jump is large - like 40% - so my $95CDN monthly dexedrine bill will now be something like $135CDN.
Has anyone in Ontario recently filled a scrip and noticed a higher price?
I'm taking 5mg tablets and paying $0.33 per pill + pharmacists fees at Walmart
Is the pharmacist giving me a line?

Hello from Illinois, USA,
I just about lost it today when I picked up my script for Dextroamphetamine 15 mg, it went from $60 to $133! No warning at all just a huge blow to my economy :mad:. If this price increase is because of improper use, then what were the manufacturers doing selling their drug illegally? Surly a tier one drug around for eons, should have been properly manufactured, or did they just take our money and go on a holiday?

inarmsway
12-14-11, 03:18 PM
teva pham. is a publicly traded company and just forced a huge number of consumers to switch from one of their least expensive products the 5 & 10mg tabs to a product they sell for 3x the price (the dex spansuel), if others are doing what i had to do.

that move is going to look very good on their 4th quarter balance sheet.

I'm buying stock options and if I'm right and make a few bucks i will happily use that cash to pay for my RX made by teva's competition mikart pharm when it comes to market.

salleh
12-19-11, 01:57 PM
Yep can't wait for Mikart dexs to hit the market ....yah !

MDigital
12-26-11, 09:09 PM
The price goes up because it's another year, the price of everything worth anything, increases.

I just want supply.

Outraged
01-09-12, 11:38 AM
About 3 months ago my prescription (5 15mg generic dex. spanuals) that I have been on for 35 years and had increased slightly over the years went from $278 a month to $330 and month. I was angry but had to pay it because I do not function with out it. Then the next month I went to get it filled and it was $505. So now I have been forced to switch to a generic aderall, but it does not seem to be doing anything for me after a month. Have any of you been forced to switch and have you found anything that works that is reasonable. I'm unemployed, no insurance and if I don't find a med that works there is no way I'm going to find a job.

I would really appreciate any input you might be able to offer.
Thanks Tim

BR549
01-09-12, 03:46 PM
About 3 months ago my prescription (5 15mg generic dex. spanuals) that I have been on for 35 years and had increased slightly over the years went from $278 a month to $330 and month. I was angry but had to pay it because I do not function with out it. Then the next month I went to get it filled and it was $505. So now I have been forced to switch to a generic aderall, but it does not seem to be doing anything for me after a month. Have any of you been forced to switch and have you found anything that works that is reasonable. I'm unemployed, no insurance and if I don't find a med that works there is no way I'm going to find a job.

Thanks Tim

Have you tried generic dexedrine IR?

inarmsway
01-10-12, 02:50 AM

Thanks Tim

do you have a walgreen's in your area?

i just filled a dexedrine RX there and paid $150 for the same RX i usually pay $300 for at a locally owned small pharmacy.

the pharmacist told me she could give it to me for $20 if i signed up for their prescription club thing (which i did not do as i only support locally owned businesses unless i have to do otherwise).

if walgreen's can sell the same RX for $20 that my mom and pop pharmacy sells for $300 there arnt going to be any small businesses left pretty soon though...

good luck

mother1960
03-03-12, 02:32 AM
Yesterday I refilled my sons script for Dexamphetamine SR spansules 10mg. The price for 60 capsules went from $140 to $225 at Walgreens. My local pharmacist sent me there initially because his cost was already high.

I called Walmsrt and their price was $350!

I don't know where to turn. This is ridiculous!

hetware
03-03-12, 02:41 AM
Yesterday I refilled my sons script for Dexamphetamine SR spansules 10mg. The price for 60 capsules went from $140 to $225 at Walgreens. My local pharmacist sent me there initially because his cost was already high.

I called Walmsrt and their price was $350!

I don't know where to turn. This is ridiculous!

How do we start a class-action suit against Teva Pharmaceuticals? Anybody know a good lawyer who handles this kind of case?

When I don't get my meds, I get edgy and potentially violent. I often say and do things I regret later. I am really getting scared.

jberke
03-26-12, 04:55 PM
Hetware, I would love to file some type of suit. I have narcolepsy, without my medicine, or having to change my medicine (which I am doing tomorrow). I put my life and anyone around me at risk, I have to get to work, and I have to drive we have no public transportation.

Vito, ADDer
04-11-12, 08:43 PM
How do we start a class-action suit against Teva Pharmaceuticals? Anybody know a good lawyer who handles this kind of case?

When I don't get my meds, I get edgy and potentially violent. I often say and do things I regret later. I am really getting scared.hetware:

Based on the preliminary research I've done on the cause of the shortage, your very understandable anger and frustration are aimed at the wrong party. As I understand it, Teva Pharmaceuticals' hands are tied.

The real culprit is the Feds. The ingredients used to manufacture amphetamines are so heavily regulated that manufacturers must estimate the amount they will need one year in advance. They're allowed to buy that much and no more.

Apparently, Teva bought Barr (the other manufacturer of dex tablets) last year, which transferred the entire market demand to Teva. As far as I've been able to tell, the heavy regulation apparently doesn't allow for a corresponding transfer of raw material supply. So Teva was screwed. They couldn't get any more ingredients because of the stupid Federal laws. As usual, the boneheaded politicians and bureaucrats mess up just about everything they touch.

So, while I completely understand your perfectly justifiable exasperation about not being able to get your meds (I'm in exactly the same boat), I'm not about to cast blame on the manufacturer, who is just as much a victim of bureaucratic, legislative, and regulatory insanity as you and I are. It won't do any good to sue them. If you want to nail the real culprit, you're going to have to take on the nightmarish tangle of politicians and bureaucrats who created this mess in the first place...and they're exempt from prosecution for the damage they cause with their idiotic regulations.

That brings up the issue of genuine accountability, which is something we do NOT have in the cesspool we call "government". That's way outside the topic of this thread, but so is suing Teva. The problem of our meds not being available is an unfortunate symptom of a much deeper problem. Suing the manufacturer isn't going to solve the shortage, and it won't prevent it from recurring.

lkb1975
04-12-12, 02:25 AM
Not sure if this helps anyone but the price did jump up when GSK sold to Amedra. But CorePharma (cheaper) makes a generic with the same formulation as Amedra (brand name). I am taking about 10mg spansules. If you call around different pharmacies they give different prices but make sure to ask if the have the CorePharma generic (which works great no side effects for me) if not some pharmacies will order it for you and it significantly cheaper... Hope this helps :D

Vito, ADDer
04-13-12, 12:59 PM
...Hope this helps :DYour post was helpful in at least one respect—namely, it provides some insight as to the possible reason why the cost of Dexedrine Spansules has skyrocketed.

Dex Spansules were the original meds that were prescribed for me. They worked great, but the cost kept escalating and eventually became prohibitive, so I switched to the generic dextroamphetamine sulfate ER capsules. Then the price of those went through the roof as well.

It didn't make any sense at first, especially with Dexedrine, which has been around for decades. Surely the initial cost of R&D has long since been recovered. But I now realize that's not the issue. One visit to Amedra's website (http://www.amedrapharma.com/) (the current manufacturer of the Dexedrine brand) made it clear:
Amedra Pharmaceuticals is focused on delivering mature branded prescription products in the United States market through acquisition, licensing, and product development.They're buying or licensing "mature branded" drugs like Dexedrine, and they've probably paid huge licensing costs that they want to recover as quickly as possible, so they've jacked up the prices to whatever they think the market will bear.

Apparently, the same is true of CorePharma's handling of generic dextroamphetamine sulfate ER capsules. I'm not sure what relationship exists between CorePharma and Amedra, but CorePharma's Products page (http://www.corepharma.com/our-products/) includes a link to the Amedra Pharmaceuticals website. What's more, both companies share the same mailing address. So, it appears that they're both under common ownership.

Normally, it wouldn't bug me that there is a sole source for a single product. In a true free enterprise system, competition keeps prices down. But this isn't true free enterprise; rather, it's an industry so heavily regulated by state interference that entry costs are prohibitively high, and competition is squeezed out. The only players left are those with big money.

It's not a problem we're likely to solve here, but at least it's starting to make a bit more sense in getting to the bottom of skyrocketing prices and product shortages. Massive taxation, regulation, and inflation are choking the life out of the pharmaceuticals industry, just as in every other industry.

BR549
04-13-12, 06:32 PM
But I now realize that's not the issue. One visit to Amedra's website (http://www.amedrapharma.com/) (the current manufacturer of the Dexedrine brand) made it clear:
They're buying or licensing "mature branded" drugs like Dexedrine, and they've probably paid huge licensing costs that they want to recover as quickly as possible, so they've jacked up the prices to whatever they think the market will bear.

Apparently, the same is true of CorePharma's handling of generic dextroamphetamine sulfate ER capsules. I'm not sure what relationship exists between CorePharma and Amedra, but CorePharma's Products page (http://www.corepharma.com/our-products/) includes a link to the Amedra Pharmaceuticals website. What's more, both companies share the same mailing address. So, it appears that they're both under common ownership.

Amedra is a subsidiary of CorePharma. When CorePharma acquired the US rights to Dexedrine Spansules, they announced that Amedra would be marketing it in the USA.

Through our parent company, CorePharma LLC, we are able to manufacture most oral solid dose medications in our cGMP and ICH-qualified facility

www.dexedrine.com/faq.asp

us.gsk.com/html/medianews/pressreleases/2010/2010_us_pressrelease_10084.htm

Hablis
06-12-12, 02:56 PM
Some info-:eek:
At the Rite aid in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd 6/12/12
Barr and Corepharma generic for Dexedrine 15 mg Spansules- $515 for 100
This is the Rite Aid Cash Discount price

Karl
06-15-12, 11:23 AM
My adventure this morning in serch of dextroamphetamine 10mg immediate release:

I spent half an hour on the phone with 4 pharmacies & found that there exists a grand total of THREE such pills at all of them combined. That's only 117 short of the 120 I'd need to fill a script.

I had already called my doctor's office to request they mail me a script for 70mg Vyvanse x 30 pills. After $60 coupon it comes out to $125. Far more than the $40 I used to pay for Dex IR 10mg X 120 back in ye olden days (that were not so long ago).

I already despised the DEA, and this long-term shortage they caused only reinforces my view that the DEA is an evil entity that should be disbanded. I must be in a good mood to say "disbanded" rather than "lined up for a firing squad for crimes against humanity."

I must edit to add, I suffer from severe social phobia, making calling all around even more of a hellish nightmare. Not the the DEA cares.

Vito, ADDer
06-15-12, 01:39 PM
...Not the the DEA cares.
Karl:

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that, especially considering your phobia. And you're right. The DEA doesn't care. The DEA can't care. The DEA is not a person. It's a nameless, faceless, soulless bureaucracy — the same kind of impersonal, inhuman entity that has proliferated throughout the sham we call "government", which doesn't govern at all ("steer", if you go by the etymological root of the word); it rules, and we obey. That isn't how it was supposed to be. Not even close.

As much as I share your exasperation and anger, I'm sure you realize that taking all of the bureaucrats out and shooting them will do no more good than replacing the elected goons who appointed them with new elected goons. The new goons will just appoint new bureaucrats. The false premise is that different people sitting in the same chairs would have avoided this medication shortage. I don't buy it. There will always be people who are willing to let themselves be used in that way.

It's not the people who are the problem. It's the system itself that is the problem. There is no connection between authority and responsibility. The system has been given absolute power (authority), and yet the people who use that authority do not have to take any responsibility whatsoever for the consequences of their actions. When the DEA and FDA policies fail — or actually cause harm, as is the case with this infamous dex shortage — it doesn't cost the bureaucrats and politicians anything. We pay the bill via taxes that are already so far beyond what got the original American colonists up in arms that it pegs the TragiComic Meter™.

In fact, when those "civil servants" retire, we'll still be paying the cost of their blunders via their Federal pensions, ...guaranteed for life. Tell me...who are the servants, and who are the masters? We can't get our medication because of their incompetence, and they get rewarded for it. The whole thing is a monstrous fraud.

Actually, I think your "good mood" suggestion is a much better solution:
... the DEA is an evil entity that should be disbanded.See now, that's right on target. If we take them all out and shoot 'em, they'll just replace them with new bozos...and then we'll be right back where we started. But if there is no bureau to populate with crats in the first place...ah, then we've got some progress.

If there's another solution, I haven't figured out what it is. All I know is that there will never be any such thing as "enlightened, new leadership" at the DEA, FDA, or any of the other Federal bureaucracies. People who seek that kind of power over others' lives aren't enlightened in the first place. Expecting enlightened behavior from them — expecting them to actually care — is like expecting the weasel to stay out of the henhouse.

jiffyPOP
06-15-12, 01:53 PM
One visit to Amedra's website (http://www.amedrapharma.com/) (the current manufacturer of the Dexedrine brand) made it clear:
They're buying or licensing "mature branded" drugs like Dexedrine, and they've probably paid huge licensing costs that they want to recover as quickly as possible, so they've jacked up the prices to whatever they think the market will bear.

Apparently, the same is true of CorePharma's handling of generic dextroamphetamine sulfate ER capsules.

Thanks Vito, ADDer. This helps clarify our earlier conversation up-thread and makes me look forward to more competition from the Mallinckrodt's ER that appear back on the market. Let's hope the feds do something about these shortages. Doctors are Dx-ing writing scripts at a faster rate than ever.

425runner
06-15-12, 02:02 PM
Well...this morning when I picked up my Dexedrine ER 10mg (CorePharma), the pharmacist said they couldn't get the 5mg Dex IR from Barr because it's been discontinued and no longer supplied. There's a US company, starts with "M" that will begin producing Dex IR in the summer.

I hope these orange capsules work. Cost me $5 with insurance, w/out it'd be $350!!

Vito, ADDer
06-15-12, 02:12 PM
Thanks Vito, ADDer. This helps clarify our earlier conversation up-thread and makes me look forward to more competition from the Mallinckrodt's ER that appear back on the market. Let's hope the feds do something about these shortages. Doctors are Dx-ing writing scripts at a faster rate than ever.Yeah...I saw that Mallinckrodt is listed as having applied for FDA approval to produce dex ER capsules in 5, 10, and 15 mg. strengths, marketed under their Covidien™ brand:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?ndc=0406-8960-01&start=1&labeltype=all

The web page linked above shows that their package labeling was revised as of 2011, January, and approved by the FDA, but the marketing status is still shown as "Abbreviated new drug application".

The Covidien™ website shows that they also manufacture dex tablets in 5 mg. and 10 mg. strengths. All of their generic meds are listed on this page:

http://pharmaceuticals.covidien.com/Pharmaceuticals/pagebuilder.aspx?topicID=190906&page=Pharma:Browser/190901

My pharmacy (Costco) is still filling prescriptions for dex ER caps with Barr (CorePharma) meds. I'll ask them about the Covidien™ meds.

jiffyPOP
06-15-12, 02:29 PM
Well...this morning when I picked up my Dexedrine ER 10mg (CorePharma), the pharmacist said they couldn't get the 5mg Dex IR from Barr because it's been discontinued and no longer supplied. There's a US company, starts with "M" that will begin producing Dex IR in the summer.

I hope these orange capsules work. Cost me $5 with insurance, w/out it'd be $350!!

That is a great deal. I pay $15 for 60 10mg caps. These are the exact caps I take. For my experience, they are very good. No side effects at all. they are made by the same people who are licensed to make Brand Dexedrin in USA. Let us know if you have any negative or bad experiences.

jiffyPOP
06-15-12, 02:33 PM
Yeah...I saw that Mallinckrodt is listed as having applied for FDA approval to produce dex ER capsules in 5, 10, and 15 mg. strengths, marketed under their Covidien™ brand:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?ndc=0406-8960-01&start=1&labeltype=all

The web page linked above shows that their package labeling was revised as of 2011, January, and approved by the FDA, but the marketing status is still shown as "Abbreviated new drug application".

The Covidien™ website shows that they also manufacture dex tablets in 5 mg. and 10 mg. strengths. All of their generic meds are listed on this page:

http://pharmaceuticals.covidien.com/Pharmaceuticals/pagebuilder.aspx?topicID=190906&page=Pharma:Browser/190901

My pharmacy (Costco) is still filling prescriptions for dex ER caps with Barr (CorePharma) meds. I'll ask them about the Covidien™ meds.

Great, I hope you get your Dex tabs back. Some guy pasted photos of the M 15mg ER caps recently, so they are starting to be found on the market. I wonder if the IR tabs will also slowly trickle onto the market?

Vito, ADDer
06-16-12, 08:21 AM
I asked the pharmacist at Costco about the availability of Covidien (Mallinckrodt) dextroamphetamine medications. He said that his distributor does list the ER capsules as a product they carry, except that the manufacturer has yet to deliver any. So, in principle they "should" be available, but so far they haven't made it into the distribution channel...at least not where Costco is concerned.

When I asked him about the tablets, he replied that they don't even show up as an item carried by the distributor. What that means is that, for all practical purposes (as far as he's concerned), the tablets are unavailable. He can't order them.

Susan90401
06-19-12, 03:14 AM
This is the generic (pardon the pun) response I got from the FDA when I reported this shortage: Please note that they referred the price issue to the FTC - do report it!
FDA's e-mail to report shortages: drugshortages@fda.hhs.gov

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email message. The FDA is doing everything within its regulatory authority to have increased supply availability of dextroamphetamine tablets. Please visit the drug shortage web page (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm)) for the latest information regarding supplies. We will post any new information that we receive from the manufacture on this web page.
Pricing issues are not within the purview of FDA. However, if you have concerns regarding the price of medications, you may wish to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC enforces a variety of federal antitrust and consumer protection laws. The FTC seeks to ensure that the nation’s markets function competitively, and are vigorous, efficient, and free of undue restrictions. Contact information for the FTC is as follows: Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition, Office of Policy and Evaluation, Room 394, Washington, D.C. 20580, Phone: (202) 326-3300 Website address: http://www.ftc.gov (http://www.ftc.gov/)

Thanks.

CDER Drug Shortage

Vito, ADDer
08-06-12, 03:06 PM
For those who might not be subscribed to the main dex shortage thread (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109433), this post (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1343954&postcount=338) tells of my recent ability to get a scrip for 5 mg. dex IR tablets filled at Costco here in Southern California.

:yes:

rustyyb
08-08-12, 07:47 PM
It's not a drug - it's an adventure... I use 4 10mg ir tabs of dextroamphetamine daily so that's 120 tabs per month. I've used Costco for 10 years and though they've been out sporadically in the past year, they've been pretty reliable. Today they tell me they're back-ordered again and my price is going from $65.00 to $247.00. I think, "WTF!!??" I confirm the price (very carefully), thank them and leave. CVS quotes the same price. Walgreens is out but quotes $72.23. Sam's Club says they'll have the 120 in on Friday and their price is $42.88. Hmmm. I double checked twice by phone and again when I dropped the script off. And I checked with another Sam's Club and was quoted a similar price. I'll let you know what happens when I go back Friday.
You know, the few rules that once seemed to govern or at least give some stability to common transactions have just kind of evaporated. No fanfare, no going away party, they just up and disappeared. Maybe they were just mirages all along, but business practices that once seemed relegated to bottom-feeding used car dealers have become the mainstream norm. Eh, or maybe it just my brain on drugs... :)
Anyway, I'll let you all know if Sam's really is 400% cheaper than Costco.
Peace to all.

Vito, ADDer
08-09-12, 01:35 AM
I paid $121.72 for 540 ea. 5 mg. dex IR tablets at Costco on July 23. At that time, 10 mg. tabs were not available.

An escalation of price from $65 to $247 is unconscionable. It's similar to what happened with ER capsules a few years ago. There is no justification for such a price increase unless there has been deliberate price-fixing in the cost of raw materials, aided and abetted by state interference. It's utterly scandalous.

rustyyb
08-11-12, 07:52 PM
Hi, ya'll! (<- Southern-speak for "Hello, everyone!" Can't risk being discovered as a socialist-leaning Yankee... :)) Anyway, as promised, here's a follow-up on my post about my Costco vs Sam's Club dexedrine saga. Sam's had them by Friday as promised and the cost (cash-no insurance) was 39.44 for 110 tabs (they were short 10 and said they could have the rest Wednesday but I didn't want to wait and since I'm only charged for the 110 tabs I'll just make sure I see the pdoc in time)
I'm a bit fuzzy on math, but isn't the difference between Costco's $2.21/tab and Sam's Clubs's $0.36/tab about 641%? Maybe "Costco" is like a cleaned up derivative of "Cosa Nostra"... kind of like ChemLawn/TruGreen. :)
Such are the times... take care all.

Bipolarruledout
09-07-12, 08:50 AM
I used to get #90 10mg tabs for about $35 then last year the price went up to right around $50. Early 2012 I couldn't fill it at all, the stock just wasn't there. For the last few months it was in stock, no problems. Yesterday it was also in stock but the price skyrocketed to $270, WTF?

Now all these prices apply to my local supermarket Good Neighbor branch. http://www.goodneighborpharmacy.com/ It should be noted that even within the *same* chain the prices are *always* different, sometimes *vastly* and this is considered a normal thing based on "local competition".

Incidentally my Costco has *never* been able to fill Dex, they can barely fill generic Adderall and they claim they "can't" (or won't) order either.

Vito, ADDer
09-07-12, 01:40 PM
I used to get #90 10mg tabs for about $35 then last year the price went up to right around $50. Early 2012 I couldn't fill it at all, the stock just wasn't there. For the last few months it was in stock, no problems. Yesterday it was also in stock but the price skyrocketed to $270, WTF?

Now all these prices apply to my local supermarket Good Neighbor branch... It should be noted that even within the *same* chain the prices are *always* different, sometimes *vastly* and this is considered a normal thing based on "local competition".

Incidentally my Costco has *never* been able to fill Dex, they can barely fill generic Adderall and they claim they "can't" (or won't) order either.Hmmm...reports like the one above illustrate the bizarre and impenetrable enigma of retail drug pricing, and drug availability in general.

For example, I've never had any difficulty with Costco ordering my dex...well except when the meds were unavailable during the recent shortage. They didn't even balk at ordering Desoxyn (methamphetamine) when the dex tabs were unavailable, whereas most other pharmacies either "couldn't" (or wouldn't) order it.

So, what accounts for such variability between stores in widely separated geographical areas? Store policies? Regulations that vary from state to state? Pseudo-moralistic meddling by store personnel?

I recently paid $121.72 for 540 each. 5 mg. dex "Barr" tabs (Teva). That's about $0.225 (22.5 cents) per tablet, at a Costco pharmacy here in Southern California. Meanwhile, Bipolarruledout is paying $270 for 90 ea. 10 mg. tabs in Eastern Washington state...$3.00 per tablet! WTF indeed.

Whenever something cannot be explained or understood on the basis of simple free-market principles, it means that those principles are being circumvented. I don't know what's happening in Eastern Washington, but something very fishy is going on there.

random_zombie
10-04-12, 01:17 AM
At a Walgreen's in the State of Washington this week I filled my prescription for 180 5mg Teva/Barr tablets for roughly $14.00(!). I have a free Walgreen's Prescription Club membership, but the receipt didn't relate the exactness of the savings that that membership provided. So this was out-of-pocket. Needless to say, I was pretty (positively) baffled by the low cost (and also suspect that the higher reported prices were all regarding 10mg tablets - a dosed tablet that is still, unlike the 5mg tablets, officially per the FDA a rarer bird). For me: roughly 8 cents per pill? :eek:

whaddyacallit
10-04-12, 11:06 AM
At a Walgreen's in the State of Washington this week I filled my prescription for 180 5mg Teva/Barr tablets for roughly $14.00(!). I have a free Walgreen's Prescription Club membership, but the receipt didn't relate the exactness of the savings that that membership provided. So this was out-of-pocket. Needless to say, I was pretty (positively) baffled by the low cost (and also suspect that the higher reported prices were all regarding 10mg tablets - a dosed tablet that is still, unlike the 5mg tablets, officially per the FDA a rarer bird). For me: roughly 8 cents per pill?

Jeez! That's cheap! Which Walgreens? You can PM me if you'd like.

I take Desoxyn 5 mg, which I have no trouble getting from either Costco #1 or Sam's Club on Aurora, but the price is outrageous -- something like $4.50 tab (I'm not kidding). I pay out-of-pocket.

At your price, I'd put up with the SE from Dexedrine.

Gr8gorilla
10-09-12, 03:03 PM
Just got bad news here in Atlanta Georgia. The price at CVS for #90 10mg tablets has SKYROCKETED from $32.00 to $180.00. Also Walmart/Sam's club price went up to like $150.00 from $23.00.

I can't afford it and I don't know what to do!

inarmsway
10-14-12, 10:39 PM
i went to pick up my RX for 5mg IR dex tabs today after having called it in this AM and the cashier asks if I'm sure i want them. price for 360 is $1700.

i called 2 other small pharmacies because i live in NYC and hate to support walgreens / duane reade as they're running the small guys out of business.

i get quotes between $800 - $1100. so i suck it up and call walgreens... $125.

it took 43 calls to find it in stock but i finally did.

what the f*** is the deal? barr claims they have not raised their price so why are the independents getting bilked like this by their distributors? isnt there a price fixing / gauging the consumer law being broken here?

Flory
10-14-12, 11:24 PM
paid £150.00 (~$300.00) for 120 5mg dex...generics...fml

dexedrine is only avail in uk as; generic from one supplier and in 5mg tabs....

poa333
10-24-12, 08:35 PM
$$$ Dextroamphetamine: During the 1995-2000 period it was like a fairly stable stock (Wall Street) fluctuation. Then this year there was the first shortage where a remoter town as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Santa Fe</st1:place></st1:City> was totally out. It appears to remain as the single shorted med; all other off the FDA short list. The DEA is definitely moving towards eliminating IR preps, because they can't beat the medical evidence, so they are going to increase licensure of Teva to necessitate the increase in price. Already happened with desoxyephedrine. And all for hype. This drug is probably the safest drug of all; just one or two molecules away from the naturally occurring ephedrine. Anyway I went to CVS, having appeared in the west over the last decade. They attempted to charge $567.00 for 270 10 mg Tablets. Went to Walgreens and purchased them for $135.00 - the same as it’s been for the last few years but HIGHER than the supermarkets.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I tell all the way to assure oneself of these substances - so demonized - is to get to know personally 1 pharmacist who considers you beyond reproach (assuming of course you ARE beyond this condemning assignment). Because they (errantly in most cases) have so much power to the final end of fillings, this is the way.<o:p></o:p>

rustyyb
10-29-12, 03:47 PM
Hi! Hope everyone’s well. Just a quick share about my latest Dextroamphetamine hunt (150 x10mg IR) in the Atlanta area. Used goodrx.com again with the same excellent results, however Sam’s Club ($53.58/no coupon needed)) had no stock so I tried a local independent store and Costco, both listed at $84.33. The local store said they couldn’t get the coupon to go through, despite over-the-phone instruction from goodrx. Gave up and went to Costco. They wouldn’t confirm that they would honor coupon on the phone so I drove the 25 miles to the store with the script and the coupon. They said the had to go through the whole process and the run the coupon to determine the price. (goodrx later that wasn’t true - they could have told me over the phone.)
When I returned to pick up the Dex the pharmacist said the price with the coupon was $330.94 and - surprise - the price if I joined their Discount Drug Club was $240.00. I replied that Sam’s Club was $277.00 less and that I’d just wait a week and buy it there. That’s not what I wanted to say, but you know what they say about discretion...

Anyway, I called goodrx.com on Monday and a polite gentleman took my name, checked their entries and said that no claim had been registered. In short, Costco hadn’t tried, they had lied. He then intimated that a unnamed few of the pharmacy chains had been reported using this sort of deception apparently to try and steer people into their own “discount clubs”, and he suggested calling the pharmacy manager and asking a few direct questions. Bottom line, I did that and they said they didn’t know how it happened but the price was indeed $83.44 with the coupon. So after another 50 mile round trip, I finally scored. What a**holes.

So I guess the lesson here is not to take “no” for an answer and also to let goodrx.com (or whomever issued the coupon) know when a pharmacy is reneging on their deal.

Good luck to all...

Noah10
10-31-12, 06:21 PM
This forum has been very helpful to me so I thought I'd give back a little.

1) I live in South Florida where believe me becuase of all the pill mills pharmacies are on lock down with schedule II. 3 months ago not 1 pharmacy in a 30 mile radius had any dexedrine, nor suggested they would order it. I eventually found one across from my house that actually had it in stock.

2) Fast forward this week. Taking Dex er am and ir booster in pm, so I had to fill both meds in a week. Pharmacist looks at me like crackhead, hate that!!!!

Here were the prices.

Dex er 15MG Quantity 30-$118.19. I paid $20 co pay and I dont have great insurance

Dex 10MG IR Quantity 60 $209.19. I paid $20 again.

Both Barr, ):

Hope this helps someone.

PS.

All the pharmacies around me seem to have it now so I think shortage is passing.

Still dream of GSK though.

sidearm45
11-01-12, 12:10 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones who has RX insurance so my 240 ER Dex caps cost me $10.00. The only thing I can share that may be helpful is the brand difference. If you can find the Mallinckroot, and I've had no trouble here in Phoenix, insist on it. It is so much stronger than the Barr that you may be able to use less and save a little money. I'm scripted 8 per day but only take 6 since I switched brands. Hope this helps

LevelPrices
11-12-12, 04:19 AM
Hello all, I just stumbled across your forum after returning home from the pharmacy, empty handed. I've been on Dexedrine somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 years, most of which I've had insurance, until I was laid off in 2009. I take what I assume to be pretty close to the limit of daily intake, 4x10mg and 2x15mg daily, which works out to 120 10mg tablets and 60 15mg Spansules. I picked up my spansules the other day, which have been considerably higher priced since the "branded generic" monopoly a few years ago, and they were $128 at Walgreens. This price, I believe has gone up $10-20 in the past month, but I didn't really notice because of the debacle I encountered by going through the drive-thru instead going inside.

Due to my high dosage, even before the CRIPPLING shortage last year around this time, I usually have problems finding a pharmacy that stocks 120 of the 10mg tablets, so when I find a pharmacy that keeps enough on hand, I stick with that one. So anyway, I went to a Wgreens that I don't normally go to and drove thru, which I never do, and I asked the pharmacist to please check and make sure she had enough of both to fill my order. She said "yes, it will be ready in an hour and a half." Blown away by the wait, I chalked it up to being a busy time at the pharmacy, whatever.

So I went and got lunch, did some shopping, and came back 1.5hrs later. I pull up to the window, and she asks me my last name. I tell her, and she fumbles through some papers, and says "No, your last name is ______", so I'm like "Lady, I'm pretty sure I know what my last name is, and that's not it!" Meanwhile, I see her grab the paper my prescription is written on and start filling my spansules. Then, she sends one of the technicians over to the window with the spansules, and instructions to tell me that they don't have enough of the tablets to fill my order. :mad: Needless to say I was livid.

Sorry for that rant, I just had to share it with someone who would understand. Ok, so the main reason I'm posting here is to let everyone know that prices in NC for Dexedrine tables have skyrocketed 500% in the past month. Last month it was $65 for 120 10mg generic tablets, having no insurance, and only the W card (that's like $20 a year extra, that was saving me $60 or so per month). Tonight, I dropped it off, waited 30 min in-store and get to the register and the technician says that'll be $345.67!:eek:

She proceeds to tell me "The price of the medicine has not gone up, it's just that each year Walgreens reviews the prescriptions that they cover with the W card, and apparently this one is no longer covered by the card." Which I know is utter BS, because during the shortage, when I was getting them wherever I could find them, there was usually at most a $75 fluctuation in the price between there and other pharmacies. Then I asked her if their fiscal year ended in October, and she was just :confused:

Much to my chagrin, I called CVS when I was leaving there, and they are charging $245 for 120 10mg. I'm going to make some more calls today after the stores open and see if I can find somewhere that hasn't jacked their prices up yet, and I'll also talk to a pharmacist friend (who's usually in the know about these things) and I'll post back with any info I can find.

I hate to say it, but it looks like we're in for another crappy end of the year for Dexedrine users. :(

FactFinder
11-15-12, 11:33 AM
Just joined today as a 'support group' for me to talk to some people who can relate to this insane situation. I've been taking Generic Dex for 12 yrs. Avg. cost per month with my HSA has been about $25. last summer, started sneaking up when i could find it. Was paying around $56. Then, last month it was $89...always the same qty and dose of (90) 10mg IR tabs. i was shocked, but was willing to suck it up.

last night at Rite-Aid....$219. i walked out. i figure if it stays at that level, i will just have to go on a half-dose.

So this is all because the manufacturers have been released by the DEA to raise prices because of the DEA's "Breaking Bad" view of therapeutic amphetamine?

Notafadd
11-19-12, 08:18 PM
Wow! Just returned from Walgreens to pick up my regular monthly script of 150. Last month = $22, this month they want $80?! The tech told me that "nothing's changed on our end" so I decided to talk to the insurance company first. I can't get through (closed). Stopped by here and noticed this thread. WTF is going on?!

These drug companies are criminal and need to be prosecuted. This is BS!

Vito, ADDer
11-19-12, 08:35 PM
Wow! Just returned from Walgreens to pick up my regular monthly script of 150. Last month = $22, this month they want $80?! The tech told me that "nothing's changed on our end" so I decided to talk to the insurance company first. I can't get through (closed). Stopped by here and noticed this thread. WTF is going on?!

These drug companies are criminal and need to be prosecuted. This is BS!
If I thought it would actually accomplish anything, I'd instigate either a class action lawsuit, or at the very least request an FTC investigation on price fixing among the raw materials suppliers, the drug manufacturers, the drug distributors, or all three. But it probably would fall flat on its face, because I suspect that the DEA is ultimately behind this whole fiasco with the jacked-up pricing and the non-availability. If they're trying to drive amphetamines completely off the market, they're going to succeed if the current trend continues. :mad:

Notafadd
11-20-12, 05:48 PM
If I thought it would actually accomplish anything, I'd instigate either a class action lawsuit, or at the very least request an FTC investigation on price fixing among the raw materials suppliers, the drug manufacturers, the drug distributors, or all three. But it probably would fall flat on its face, because I suspect that the DEA is ultimately behind this whole fiasco with the jacked-up pricing and the non-availability. If they're trying to drive amphetamines completely off the market, they're going to succeed if the current trend continues. :mad:

Generic Adderall is still relatively inexpensive. The price increases seem to be purely business. Perhaps they want to put dex out of reach so they can focus on a single drug.

I don't know. I'm so tired of this. The quality of the medication is inconsistent (IMHO), rarely 'good', and the price goes up. I was taking around 40mg of the ER last year, paying $15-20 a month. That was acceptable. Then it shot up to $80 ~ 100 a month. Now they're doing the same thing with IR. I don't see how this pricing is consistent with generic medication.

Vito, ADDer
11-20-12, 06:41 PM
I can't tolerate Adderall. I've tried it, and it was a disaster for me. In fact, I've been through most of the amphetamine-based medications, and the only two that work well for me are dex and meth. Meth is not ideal, but I can tolerate it. The problem is that it's even more expensive than the least costly dex ER capsules.

So, I'm down to one affordable medication that's really effective — dextroamphetamine IR tabs. The 10 mg. tabs were not available the last time I needed to restock, so I got my prescription filled using all 5 mg. tabs. And now I'm reading posts that say the cost of the 10 mg. tabs has skyrocketed. I'm not sure exactly what it means to say it's "purely business", but unless the DEA has deliberately driven the cost of raw materials to artificially high levels, it doesn't strike me as purely ethical business.

I'm not one to advocate the meddling of bureaucrats and politicians with free market pricing, but nothing about the availability and pricing of dextroamphetamine medications has any of the characteristics of free market pricing. I smell a rat. The signs I'm seeing look more like collusion and price fixing. If those who are behind this keep it up, there's going to be a backlash of regulatory furor that ultimately is not going to be to anyone's benefit.

kenny5277
11-20-12, 07:11 PM
I don't have time for an extended post, but I just found out the price of my prescription for Barr/Teva dex at Walmart jumped by a factor 4 since July.

270 (10mg) tablets were about $100, and are now over $400. I'm so ******, and feel so helpless. I just filed a complaint with the FTC which I'll copy and paste below. I have no idea if anything will come of it, but here's the link: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

I would urge you all to take the time to do the same.

Here's the text of what I wrote: I suspect this company has recently engaged in dramatic price gouging with their dextroamphetamine products. I've been on this medication from this manufacturer for over 7 years and the price has consistently been between $100 (Walmart) and $189 (CVS), for 270 tablets (10mg), depending on the local pharmacy. In July of this year I filled the prescription at Walmart in East Meadow, NY for the expected price of $100. Now, 4 months later the exact same prescription at the exact same pharmacy is over $400! This is shocking, but not without context. Throughout the current year there has been a dramatic shortage of this medication in the US related to a DEA quota which limits the amount that can be produced. Teva has apparently chosen to take advantage of consumers' desperation by raising the price four-fold! These facts are all difficult for me as a consumer to investigate since there is a great deal of information than is not simply accessible by the public. For example, Teva won't communicate directly to the public. Also, local pharmacies are very limited in the information they can share about the distributors that provide them with the medicine. But something is clearly going on here. From a quick search on the internet I can see literally 100s of reports of the same thing happening all around the country. I can't afford to pay this incredibly marked-up price. Yet I don't know what options I have. I would really appreciate your attention into this matter. Many thanks!

kenny5277
11-21-12, 10:12 AM
Wrote to Teva last night out of frustration:

Message: I would like an explanation as to why the price of your product dextroamphetamine sulfate has increased by a factor of 4 in only a few months. The exact same prescription which cost me $100 now costs over $400 since July. It seems you are taking advantage of consumers' desperation in obtaining this medication, in light of the limitations set by DEA quotas. It seems hardly believable that anyone would so blatantly take advantage of this situation, and to such an extreme degree. (the price simply doubling would have been enough to raise questions of ethics). Please let me know if there are other details I'm unaware of.

Their dubious response:

Thank you for contacting Teva Pharmaceuticals Customer Service. Teva seldom raises prices, but sometimes finds it necessary to cover the increased costs of materials and manufacturing expenses in order to keep the product in the market. Please understand that there can be multiple levels of wholesalers between Teva and the pharmacy and that it is the pharmacy that makes the final decision on pricing which may be influenced by insurance companies.

We are confident that you have shopped different pharmacies for the best pricing. Additionally, there are many local and national assistance programs, not affiliated with Teva Pharmaceuticals, that may be able to provide assistance. Two programs for those with health insurance are:

The HealthWell Foundation
Phone: 800-675-8416
http://healthwellfoundation.org/

Patient Advocate Foundation
Phone: 866-512-3861
http://www.copays.org/

Others that you may want to investigate by phone, fax, or visiting their web sites are:

NeedyMeds, Inc.
http://www.needymeds.org
P.O. Box 219
Gloucester, MA 01931
FAX: 419-858-7221

Partnership for Prescription Assistance
Phone: 888-477-2669
http://www.pparx.com

RX Assist
http://www.rxassist.org

Please be cautious not to give credit card information to any assistance program and not to pay any fees for their services.

Sincere regards,

Customer Service Department
Teva Pharmaceuticals
1090 Horsham Road
North Wales, PA 19454
Phone: (800)545-8800
Fax: (800)760-1009
e-Mail: TevaCS@TevaPharm.com

Gonna write another response later to vent some of my feelings at this load of crap, but no time right now.

kenny5277
11-21-12, 06:57 PM
Me yelling into the wind:

I would have liked to express my appreciation for the quick response, but I can't. The absurdity in the claims made below, as well as the faux attempt at offering "helpful" links and advice, is downright insulting.

There are literally 100s of reports online from people throughout the US who've been shocked to find out the price of your dextroamphetamine sulfate products have suddenly shot to 3 and 4 times the cost of what they had been paying for years. I've been buying this medication out of pocket for over ten years now. I'm well aware of the prices of most of my local pharmacies, and they've all suddenly increased by about the same factors. So you respond with the suggestions that:

a. one reason for the price increase could be "increased cost of materials and manufacturing expenses". I would really be interested to hear what component suddenly became so scarce as to raise the price 4-fold.

b. it's the wholesalers. Yes, all of them! At the same exact time. In every state. In every town.

I checked all your links and not one of them offers assistance for this particular medication.

I don't know who is responsible for making these decisions, and frustratingly it's most certainly not the one actually reading this. Whoever he/she/they are, I don't know how they sleep at night. As a mere consumer I am nearly completely powerless in this situation, but if anyone there cares, I will do everything in my power to let people know what your company is all about.

kenny5277
11-21-12, 07:54 PM
I'm going out of my mind right now.

So the other day when I found out about the price increase at the local Walmart I also asked about the distributor. To step back for a moment, I was enthusiastic and hopeful last summer, like many here, to see that Mikart was getting into the game. Their product has been released and is theoretically available now, though I haven't heard of anyone obtaining it or any of my local pharmacies carrying it. So I got the name of their distributor, McKesson (http://www.mckesson.com/en_us/McKesson.com/), and made some calls to them. They don't deal directly with consumers and were clearly reluctant to do so in this case. I got the runaround, to corporate, to customer service, to other people..., and finally there was a woman who spoke to me a bit.

My main question was, how do I get a distributor into looking into carrying a new product or a product by a new manufacturer? We talked in circles a bit, but ultimately she said they don't do that. It's the manufacturer who must contact them. So the next thing I'd like to try is to call Mikart/Wilshire and see if I can find out which distribution companies they are using so I can (1) find out which pharmacies might be being supplied by them, and (2) find out how to request they work with the distributors that affect me in my area.

There's obviously such a demand right now with this price gouging by Teva. Why is there not the Mikart stuff everywhere?

Anyway, one thing others here might consider is to do the same. Call Mikart and tell them you need this product and how can you get the wholesalers that serve your pharmacies to carry it. And call your pharmacies and get the pharmacist there to request the Mikart dex from their wholesaler.

Vito, ADDer
11-21-12, 09:21 PM
kenny5277:

You won't get anywhere contacting Mikart. They'll just shove you off onto Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, the company that's doing all of the marketing and sourcing of the Mikart product into the various distribution networks. All of the information I've been able to find about contacting Wilshire is already contained in posts in the Wilshire Pharmaceuticals Dextroamphetamine 5 mg. and 10 mg. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131246) thread, which I think you've already seen.

I'm sorry to say this, but these drug companies and their distributors are in for a world of hurt. The furor over the outrageous escalation in dex prices is building, and sooner or later these companies are going to face a firestorm of regulatory investigation and legislative or judicial interference. It's too bad, because the politicians and bureaucrats are the ones who have demonized our medications in the first place, and their further involvement is only going to make things worse.

I'm not sure why the drug manufacturers and distributors don't realize that, but obviously they don't. The arrogance that shields them from market reality is going to crumble in the face of the state's onslaught, as the politicians make political hay out of the rising tide of public indignation. There will come a reckoning. It's a doggone shame that these companies are not smart enough to see it, but it WILL come, and their days of living high on their own hoggery are numbered.

You might try telling them that, although I doubt it will do any good. If they weren't already immune to reason they wouldn't be alienating their own market in the first place. Evidently, even self-preservation isn't enough to remove their blinders. But investigations by the FTC and Congress should get their attention.

RoxyMusic
11-24-12, 04:07 AM
Thanks for helping to fight the good fight! If you haven't check out my thread on taking action to fight the price hikes: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135403

And make sure to file those complaints. Hopefully it will help those of us that are SOL right now.... :)

kenny5277
11-30-12, 06:42 PM
kenny5277:

You won't get anywhere contacting Mikart. They'll just shove you off onto Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, the company that's doing all of the marketing and sourcing of the Mikart product into the various distribution networks. All of the information I've been able to find about contacting Wilshire is already contained in posts in the Wilshire Pharmaceuticals Dextroamphetamine 5 mg. and 10 mg. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131246) thread, which I think you've already seen.

I'm sorry to say this, but these drug companies and their distributors are in for a world of hurt. The furor over the outrageous escalation in dex prices is building, and sooner or later these companies are going to face a firestorm of regulatory investigation and legislative or judicial interference. It's too bad, because the politicians and bureaucrats are the ones who have demonized our medications in the first place, and their further involvement is only going to make things worse.

I'm not sure why the drug manufacturers and distributors don't realize that, but obviously they don't. The arrogance that shields them from market reality is going to crumble in the face of the state's onslaught, as the politicians make political hay out of the rising tide of public indignation. There will come a reckoning. It's a doggone shame that these companies are not smart enough to see it, but it WILL come, and their days of living high on their own hoggery are numbered.

You might try telling them that, although I doubt it will do any good. If they weren't already immune to reason they wouldn't be alienating their own market in the first place. Evidently, even self-preservation isn't enough to remove their blinders. But investigations by the FTC and Congress should get their attention.

Thanks for that post Vito. I saw that thread but for some reason I forgot about your OP in that thread which actually very directly gives the exact info that I would like to repost here:

If you want your local pharmacy to stock Wilshire Pharmaceuticals dextroamphetamine, please have your pharmacist contact ANDA Distribution at 1-800-331-2632 and ask for Pat Williams at extension 4433. This way we can help you obtain the product.

I would ask everyone here with an interest in seeing the Wilshire dex in pharmacies to give this info to all pharmacies in your area. Let's do what we can to not only get access to better quality dex, but to keep Barr/Teva from profiting from their little price gouging scheme.

About the rest of your post Vito, man I hope you're correct, BUT I fear the very nature of the drug itself is what's working against that. I'm actually a bit confused because you seem to acknowledge the problem in the very next sentence. Politicians have demonized the drug, but it'll take politicians to enact the investigations and regulatory policies we're hoping for. We all may be outraged as all hell for this crap, but without the media behind us to create the furor which motivates the politicians, we're only a small and fairly powerless population. If a company was price gouging cancer drugs, you can bet there'd be outrage and action. (as it is I think this very thing did happen at the same time as the dex shortage began). But trying to get people to feel the same way over what they perceive to be street speed... well, let's just say it's damn frustrating.

(Incidentally I'm in Germany though I still get my scripts filled in the states. The attitudes about amphetamines here, and ADHD drug treatment in general, are so far behind the states... it's unbelievable).

Makaveli
11-30-12, 11:03 PM
This is ridiculous, $348 for what used to cost $60 last year. A lawsuit is in order.

RoxyMusic
12-01-12, 03:18 AM
Thanks for that post Vito. I saw that thread but for some reason I forgot about your OP in that thread which actually very directly gives the exact info that I would like to repost here:

I would ask everyone here with an interest in seeing the Wilshire dex in pharmacies to give this info to all pharmacies in your area. Let's do what we can to not only get access to better quality dex, but to keep Barr/Teva from profiting from their little price gouging scheme.

About the rest of your post Vito, man I hope you're correct, BUT I fear the very nature of the drug itself is what's working against that. I'm actually a bit confused because you seem to acknowledge the problem in the very next sentence. Politicians have demonized the drug, but it'll take politicians to enact the investigations and regulatory policies we're hoping for. We all may be outraged as all hell for this crap, but without the media behind us to create the furor which motivates the politicians, we're only a small and fairly powerless population. If a company was price gouging cancer drugs, you can bet there'd be outrage and action. (as it is I think this very thing did happen at the same time as the dex shortage began). But trying to get people to feel the same way over what they perceive to be street speed... well, let's just say it's damn frustrating.

(Incidentally I'm in Germany though I still get my scripts filled in the states. The attitudes about amphetamines here, and ADHD drug treatment in general, are so far behind the states... it's unbelievable).

Stay tuned Kenny for some news doing some cool stuff in my free time. Think about this in the meantime. If the pharma companies can lobby for laws to benefit them. Let's lobby, by banding together, to influence laws to benefit us. Fight fire with fire so to speak. There is power in numbers (hopefully). :D

Gr8gorilla
12-02-12, 04:35 PM
I have posted before about this madness with the prices and want to rant some more. So last year I started back on ADD meds and my PDoc put me on Dex because it was the very cheapest thing for those of us without insurance. It was even rated as a consumer reports best bang for your buck.

Fast forward to today. Over the last few months the prices have risen and the various "negotiated prices" through the prescription discount cards have vanished. The cash price for Dexedrine has risen from less than $30 for my prescription of 90 tablets every 2 weeks to $151 at Walmart and like others have posted over $300 at Walgreens. I have contacted my representatives state and federal and have received ********* canned responses. Calling Teva customer service got me a rep who stated that Teva was not responsible for the price increase and that it must the distributors.

If that is true then the distributors are going to be making profits that even purveyor's of illegal drugs can't fathom.

It is ridiculous that the price of my prescription medication has risen to a level that makes purchasing illicitly manufactured versions of my medicine an economically sound choice.

I have been forced to give up my Dextroamphetamine and it's reduced side effects for a patented racemic mixture of the same drug with more side effects and less effectiveness. I recently asked my Dr to switch me to Adderall which he did.

My dosage was 15mg of dex up to 4x per day as needed. I am now rxd 20mg adderall 4x per day as needed.

I HATE BIG PHARMA!

Makaveli
12-03-12, 03:25 AM
Its a shame, due to the price increase i'm switching to adderall since it seems to cost significantly less. I'm not sure why the people who produce Dexedrine would allow this happen. I'm sure many people have switched too, this will end up hurting their customers, either they dont know what they're doing or they know exactly what they're doing.

random_zombie
12-03-12, 11:13 PM
It has hit the 5mg tablets. Bull****. I say. I've been watching over the 10mg hike from a distance, which was "per the shortage." I thought the 5mg tablets were relatively safe as, STILL per the FDA, "Teva supply is adequate to meet demand." (Whereas the 10mg tablets are not and haven't been)
(http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm314739.htm#dextroamphetamin (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm314739.htm#dextroamphetamine)e)

Despite 180 tablets costing around 40 dollars one month ago exactly, they are now around $260.

This is false and patently unethical. FINALLY, d-amp 5mg supply is taken OFF the shortage list not four months ago, so I can FINALLY safely switch back from mixed salts (after having been on d-amp 5mg consistently the four years up until this last one, with no problem), only to have it hiked up after a "shortage" again, not four months later? Per the pharmacist, anyway, it's per "the shortage," despite, again, the FDA's "official" statement not having been updated. I don't believe it. As in, I literally don't.

Anyone have any friends at the NY Times? I mean, I'm starting to agree now, this is clearly a sound story.

rustyyb
12-07-12, 03:08 PM
Last Friday I found 150 10mg tabs of dextroamphetamine at a nearby Walgreens, which had the lowest advertised price on the Goodrx website at $85.86. The pharmacist claimed no knowledge of the website and said the price was $329.00. A woman at Goodrx said she'd call them and explain to the that if they had joined their program they had to honor the posted prices. Haven't heard from her yet, but today the lowest price posted there was $527.00 WITH a coupon. Non-generic Dexedrine? $1337.00. Generic Adderall is still (barely) affordable but the Dr. requires at least a med-check visit to issue a prescription. The truly sad thing is that some chemo patients are dealing with the same thing. I will never understand how a man or woman can sit in an office and decide to kill people to keep corporate stock prices up. And it really is that simple. Ultimately, one person signs off on a decision and doesn't give it a second thought. Our society is terminally ill with a cancer called greed and from where I stand the prognosis is very, very grim.

potts9
12-15-12, 04:22 PM
Hi! Hope everyone’s well. Just a quick share about my latest Dextroamphetamine hunt (150 x10mg IR) in the Atlanta area. Used goodrx.com again with the same excellent results, however Sam’s Club ($53.58/no coupon needed)) had no stock so I tried a local independent store and Costco, both listed at $84.33. The local store said they couldn’t get the coupon to go through, despite over-the-phone instruction from goodrx. Gave up and went to Costco. They wouldn’t confirm that they would honor coupon on the phone so I drove the 25 miles to the store with the script and the coupon. They said the had to go through the whole process and the run the coupon to determine the price. (goodrx later that wasn’t true - they could have told me over the phone.)
When I returned to pick up the Dex the pharmacist said the price with the coupon was $330.94 and - surprise - the price if I joined their Discount Drug Club was $240.00. I replied that Sam’s Club was $277.00 less and that I’d just wait a week and buy it there. That’s not what I wanted to say, but you know what they say about discretion...

Anyway, I called goodrx.com on Monday and a polite gentleman took my name, checked their entries and said that no claim had been registered. In short, Costco hadn’t tried, they had lied. He then intimated that a unnamed few of the pharmacy chains had been reported using this sort of deception apparently to try and steer people into their own “discount clubs”, and he suggested calling the pharmacy manager and asking a few direct questions. Bottom line, I did that and they said they didn’t know how it happened but the price was indeed $83.44 with the coupon. So after another 50 mile round trip, I finally scored. What a**holes.

So I guess the lesson here is not to take “no” for an answer and also to let goodrx.com (or whomever issued the coupon) know when a pharmacy is reneging on their deal.

Good luck to all...

I aggree completely with everything, not assuming that they are just going to give you what correct information you need, and that you should not always trust pharmacies and even though it may be "inconvient" for both you and the pharmacy to search and fill in information, that in the end you end up saving, and being able to live a better quality of life.

I live in Rhode Island and am a College student, I have gotten the email from teva for the coupon programs that do not at all cover dex ir. I absolutely have done goodRX and found the same results to be true. Recently also I noticed that Teva finally has the 10mg pills back, so thats also another cost saving idea, through the GoodRx coupons, I wouldnt completely rely on 10mgs or 5mgs to be instock it seems they are switching them in and out. I used to go to walgreens and get a prescription for 40 dollars for the entire month, then I walk in and find that my prescription is no longer on their club card savings program and that it was taking off...first tier it was the 10mgs...I had to go back to my doctor and get the 5's which at the time was still on their program, and then 3 days later, I'm paying 175 for 120 pills. I have no coverage, no job because I am a college student(obviously I have to change that)...but their are so few resources if you do not have health insurance to cover this med, that you really have to put in quite an effort to make this medicine work.

Unfortunately I find myself in a position where I am going to have to switch to concerta or vyanse because these are fairly newer meds, and are fully covered under patient assistance programs...dexadrine works for me though, and hate the idea of switching because of financial reasons, its an effective drug for me, its just that...I cannot afford it, my mom doesnt have a job with health coverage so I cannot get onto to hers.

Wish me luck. And I hope someone comes out with a patient assistance program for this med, or some change in our healthcare system.

chsguy88
12-18-12, 05:15 PM
I just started back on my meds today after a good year or so break. First off, I was shocked to find target (the FIRST pharmacy I called) had them in stock!!! (90 10mg tabs). Last year it was like a game trying to find a pharmacy that had them. I did look at the "retail price" on my receipt though and my mouth dropped open.... $209.99 for 90 10mg tablets! I dont remember it ever saying it was that much before. 30 days of Vyvanse, which I'm also on (1 50mg a day), has a retail of $204.99..... That just doesn't make sense.... Vyvanse is name brand, dex is generic, and the dex is still more for 30 days of treatment. craziness.

Twiggy
12-18-12, 11:32 PM
Wow, that is crazy. Not too long ago generic Dexedrine was about $35 for a months worth of medication without insurance.

I'm shocked at how the prices skyrocketed for a generic medication. That's insane.

LaughnJack
12-27-12, 02:37 AM
Hello all,

First to the DEX issue and then if you are interested how I got here as an adult diagnosed ADDer and recovering Alcoholic. Which is why is I refute any statement that this is not a life saving drug for me personally. Absent it, I would likely be drinking myself to death!

Diagnosed at 40, four years sober and having debilitating, potentially suicidal panic attacks. Got to a therapist. I tried Vyvanse worked for four months then nothing. Adderall made me edgy and grindy, dex was like wiping morning fog off a car windshield, totally resolved my panic attacks and use 2-15mg ER capsules 3x/day = 180/month. Cost at first was about $300, then went up to 375, then 435 parked at $478.54 for maybe nine months. Then, and I am looking at the receipts/printout cash cost of my Rx from August to present. I refill the third week of the month. What I am looking at is astounding (no co-pay so didn't notice til a few days ago)...August, September and October all $478...November 19 (post re-election of President Obama who yes I voted for and support) BAM!!! Jumped to $1543.54!!!

PEOPLE THIS IS A MONEY GRAB BY BIG PHARMA BECAUSE THEY SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL OF DESPERATELY NEEDED HEALTHCARE REFORM! And, I recently read a well controlled study of 247 illicit amphetamine/meth/cocaine users which found that over 60% were ADD/ADHD and ONLY 17% had ever been diagnosed with it!!! It affirms my hypothesis that a lot of meth and coke users/abusers/addicts are actually treating ADD symptoms on their own, likely by accident. And, don't know that properly diagnosed, they can get legally prescribed amps for the condition. But they usually end up in jail because they have no idea that it makes them feel "good" because they actually have an underlying medical condition!

So my conspiracy minded self says that Big Pharma is grabbing for the last big chunks of money and the DEA is dragging their feet for a reason...they live off of the most costly war against our own citizens in U.S. history...Nixon's coined "War on Drugs" and aren't about to compromize their powerhold on class II substances over the original and more appropriate Agency of Oversight: the Food and DRUG Administration. DEA was empowered by Presidential authorization between sessions by Nixon and most are...well rhymes with sticks! A lot of hands in this cookie jar folks!!!

So some background for those interested. This is my first time posting in a while (if ever). I was diagnosed ADD at age 40, after having successfully completing in patient treatment for alcoholism six years prior. My recovery program was working out wonderfully, I got past the Post Acute Withdrawl phase, was four years into really good solid recovery. I even got into Law School, oops! I'm one of those academically gifted ADDers so went by unnoticed.

But, I only could handle a year of Law. It was like total panic anytime I was facing an academic challenge. I thought I was brain damaged due to my drinking years. Not so much.

After four years of serenity and peace, I began having insane panic attacks and anxiety. Having a B.S. in Psych, I'm thinking GAD and see my GP and a Psychiatrist who, despite knowing that benzos would work for me, refused to even consider the issue because of my alcoholism. I said no f-king way to SSSRI's (I have heard horror stories and they gave me probs earlier in my own life).

Finally, I say screw you two and go to another therapist. Tell her what's up. I know benzo's would work if it's GAD, but I know a distinction between the regularly used types: that being that librium, valium, xanax and lorazapam are the most commonly used benzos to medically detox a chronic drinker. Clonozapam however is not. And for me personally librium is like vodka in a pill, but clonazepam gives me no problems with a desire for ever increasing amounts, etc.. So therapist writes me a script for it and we meet once a week for about a month when she comes out with,"Your thoughts seem to meander wherever they wish when we talk, and can jump from one line of thought to another in a split second. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD?" No way I explained my cousin grew up with my familly and was ADHD, Oppositional Defiant, and just hated school, would do the stupidist risky things, etc.

Well I was rather presumptive I discovered after reading Delivered from Distraction; tons of coffee, studied in quiet am hours, needed time to start my day, etc, etc etc...the coolest correlation is the despising of hypocracy and injustice!

Which is why I felt compelled to post this evening. Mexican cartels can make pharmaceutically pure meth (ice) for pennies, is relatively cheap with a good connect, yet desoxyn (legally made U.S. methamphetamine) is sold by one company and costs the equivalent of $8000 and ounce; $1000 dollars an eight ball. Guarantee DEX is just as cheap to produce and Big Pharma is making a gluttonous killing off of sick people, for some of which it is truly life saving!

Thanks if you got to the end of all this. Something must be DONE!!!

Alan

Nate W
12-28-12, 10:18 AM
Thanks for posting Alan. Great job on the recovery and the ADHD connection and alcohol abuse. I too am a recovering alcoholic, 7 years sober by the grace of God and the 12-Steps. PM me if you would like to hear my story and my thoughts on how ADHD plays a role in addiction and my fears (many of us alcoholics are filled with fear), since I should keep my post on topic.

Yes, something is amuck with the pricing of dextoamphetamine. And it IS NOT getting the attention of regulators (or the DEA has a bigger push). Dextroamphetamine is inexpensive to make and it is available in generic for God's sake! A month's supply should cost about $30. The restrictions hurt those of us who need the medication, but who are uninsured. The exorbitant prices increase the cost of medical care through increased insurance premiums.

About your particular predicament: How to obtain affordable medication? I do know that the instant release (generic is all that is available) dextroamphetamine is at least twice, and possibly 2.5 to 3 times less expensive than generic (Barr/Teva) ER capsules. I have taken both and find the IR is easier to control, dose wise (it seems more powerful because it ramps up quicker and drops out quicker, less chance for insomnia too), but I have no rebound issues. I like the ER better too. Three weeks ago I asked the pharmacist how much my perscription would be without insuance (I am lucky, I pay $10). It's for 90 ten mg tablets, Barr brand (currently take 30 mg/day). He said right at $200. So if you are taking 90 mg/day, that is three times more than me, so the cost for your dosing would be $600. Still expensive, but a lot less than the $1,500 or so you mentioned.

Also, is there an way you could get assistance through the drug company or purchase medical insurance, but one that provides a drug benefit greater than the premium?

--Nate

VOltaire
01-10-13, 10:26 AM
Hi guys please check out my post regarding Phoenix prescriptiilon discount , for the past 3 moths i hav used them to pay around 75.00 for 180 10 mg.lR tablets ineter:grouphug:

Desertdweller
01-18-13, 11:41 AM
Thank you for giving that tip about the Phoenix drug card. Got the price down to $83 for 60 (10mg) tabs at Osco in Tucson. They acted like they didn't recognize it, but it went through.

VOltaire
01-18-13, 05:57 PM
Thank you for giving that tip about the Phoenix drug card. Got the price down to $83 for 60 (10mg) tabs at Osco in Tucson. They acted like they didn't recognize it, but it went through.

Your welcome, it took alot of digging, research, and perseverence to aquire this discount plan I hope this will help patients who really need it and will make the medication cost effective again!
Cheers!
Also while abiding by the rules of these forums please make sure that patients who are prescribed this medicine are aware of this!!

random_zombie
01-18-13, 10:11 PM
Not to be overly skeptical, but could either of you scan a receipt that'd indicate your savings or purchases? Any personal info blacked out, of course. Voltaire, honestly, and no offense, you strike me as a salesman or a street-teamer. Has anyone yet besides Voltaire and another(new) person with a post-count of exactly 1 been able to use this purported Phoenix deal?

VOltaire
01-18-13, 10:40 PM
Not to be overly skeptical, but could either of you scan a receipt that'd indicate your savings or purchases? Any personal info blacked out, of course. Voltaire, honestly, and no offense, you strike me as a salesman or a street-teamer. Has anyone yet besides Voltaire and another(new) person with a post-count of exactly 1 been able to use this purported Phoenix deal?

random zombie I can assure you if you contact phoenix they will go over pricing and meds they cover im not a salesman just another patient I understand your skeptisim but all the info you need is listed Im just another patient who has been worked over by big pharma like the rest of us with tried and tested free discount card!

Thank me later!

RoxyMusic
01-22-13, 04:26 AM

As you know I probably spent a good month calling for Teva's blood (figuratively) on these boards. I hate when large companies, try to screw over the little folks, to pad their bottom line. And it still doesn't excuse these mega price increases, but the discount is legit. I was super skeptical, but I paid $0.31 cents a pill this morning. I would go out to my car and grab the receipt, but it's late and snowing, and I'm in my pj's. :) If I have time tomorrow, I would be happy to share, a heavily redacted copy.

random_zombie
01-24-13, 12:31 AM
As you know I probably spent a good month calling for Teva's blood (figuratively) on these boards. I hate when large companies, try to screw over the little folks, to pad their bottom line. And it still doesn't excuse these mega price increases, but the discount is legit. I was super skeptical, but I paid $0.31 cents a pill this morning. I would go out to my car and grab the receipt, but it's late and snowing, and I'm in my pj's. :) If I have time tomorrow, I would be happy to share, a heavily redacted copy.
:goodpost:
Nah... no need for the receipt. You at least have some time here at the boards, thus are in my mind somewhat more reliable. You and another poster seem pleased enough, so I'm gonna look into myself. Especially with my monthly med purchase coming up in ten days or so. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :cool: It'd be great to switch back to the 5mg tablets and be able to afford it! Been on prescribed d-amp for 5+ years, excluding the times due to shortage and/or price increase when I've had to take generic Adderall. Which is terrible (for me, anyway). But I digress. Back to homework!

RoxyMusic
01-24-13, 07:03 PM
Nah... no need for the receipt. You at least have some time here at the boards, thus are in my mind somewhat more reliable. You and another poster seem pleased enough, so I'm gonna look into myself. Especially with my monthly med purchase coming up in ten days or so. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :cool: It'd be great to switch back to the 5mg tablets and be able to afford it! Been on prescribed d-amp for 5+ years, excluding the times due to shortage and/or price increase when I've had to take generic Adderall. Which is terrible (for me, anyway). But I digress. Back to homework!

Cool I totally forgot anyway! My bad :/ But it worked for me. And if you sign up for the coupon, you can just enter a random 10 digit number, which is what I did. The only thing you have to give is your name. Good luck I hope it works for you!!

Bipolarruledout
01-28-13, 10:40 PM
Update (Skip to the last paragraph to save time):

Thanks to this site I've been using GoodRx for a few months. The first time I used it around October 2012 I was shocked to find 180x5mg tabs (Teva/Barr) at Wallgreens for about $22. Score! My script is for 90x10mg, I asked for a substitution but there's more weirdness still. The GoodRx website lets you check multiple zip codes as well as quantities and doses which I checked to try and find the lowest cost per dose. The prices being returned varied wildly. The standard 30/60/90/120/180 all showed very high prices per pill. Then I kept raising quantity and settled on 200 tabs at the above mentioned $22 price. Of course since my script is only 90x10mg tabs I simply requested a substitution of 180x5mg tabs at the 200 quantity price. I walked out shocked as this is the lowest price per dose I've *ever* paid. Even 90x10mg Barr Adderall (yuck!) was like $25 two or three years ago.

Come November things weren't so good. The next month Wallgreens (same location) would not honer the same coupon, said the "discounted" price was much higher than quoted (Also had the same problem with other prescriptions with the GoodRx discounts). The *lowest* price I could get off the site was $150 for the same 90x10mg tabs. 180x5mg would have been about the same if not more.

Knowing this I asked my awesome and excellent doctor (who also has ADD and takes stims) to write for Adderall instead (Specifically 30x30mg tabs which Costco fills for about $42, 10mg tabs are much more and they don't stock 15mg. Costco will not place orders period and seems to run out of the 10mg Barr Adderall tabs often. Also checked a Vancouver, Washington location, same thing, no dice.) I tend to use a combination of Dex and Adderall leaning mostly on the Dex. I also walked out with a greatly reduced Dex script of 30x10mg tabs know the price increase but still wanting to have some stock.

For the last couple months this script has been around $52 as the best GoodRx price. Ouch! But better than $150. Fast forward to today and the Coast2Coast discount card (Thanks ADDforums!). Called several pharmacies for price quotes. "No, we can't tell you what the price will be on that card until we fill the script". Well Fu*k! [Last month the same pharmacy wanted like $170 for the same 180x5mg tabs. After telling me "we should be able to honer that" and waiting a half hour they give me the news. This is of course *after* I've already bugged the underpaid staff for the substitution and made them check stock and fill the whole script. $170. "Sorry, I just can't afford that. Can I have my script back please? (which has never been a problem).] But I digress....

Where were we? Oh yeah, so I take in a Coast2Coast discount card from my illaligned inkjet printer and my script for 30x10mg tabs on tamper proof security paper but resigning myself to a $52 bill which my freshly printed GoodRx coupon will grant me. $23. Not bad. Oh and it turns out they subbed for 60x5mg tabs, no big deal. Long story short try the http://coast2coastrx.com free discount card. Next up is to verify pricing on 90x10mg (or 180x5mg) tabs next time I see my doctor. I'm *also* going to check target and ask around for the new Wilshire tabs. If nothing else it at least puts pressure on Teva/Barr pharmacies to lower their prices.

ww2Vet+dextabs
01-31-13, 09:28 PM
As you know I probably spent a good month calling for Teva's blood (figuratively) on these boards. I hate when large companies, try to screw over the little folks, to pad their bottom line. And it still doesn't excuse these mega price increases, but the discount is legit. I was super skeptical, but I paid $0.31 cents a pill this morning. I would go out to my car and grab the receipt, but it's late and snowing, and I'm in my pj's. :) If I have time tomorrow, I would be happy to share, a heavily redacted copy. Rox--u said u paid 31 cents per pill--BUT-u didn' say what strength of pill And what drug store chain u used, and where?
And what coupon used--all these items would make your info much more useful--

ww2Vet+dextabs
01-31-13, 09:37 PM
Rox--thanks for info--but please reply to us all as to what strength and what pill, dex? and Ir or ER, +how many in scrip for that 31 cent price? and what drug store chain , and with what coupon?

pudge72
02-04-13, 04:20 PM
When I was first prescribed Dexedrine many years ago, I took the brand name 5mg tablets (those orange triangular ones). It worked so well and then was abruptly discontinued. I had adverse reactions to all of the generic versions except one: Mallinckrodt. I took their 10mg IR tablets for several years with great success. And then to my dismay, they discontinued production a couple of years ago.

My doctor switched me to Adderall IR, but it never worked as well as the Mallinckrodt Dex. I felt jittery all the time, felt OCDish, it was very uncomfortable. So it was to my great surprise (and relief) that I read on these boards that Mallinckrodt had decided to begin production of Dex again. (Not sure if their merger with Covidien contributed to the decision)

So... I called several pharmacies with the NDC# of the Mallinckrodt 10mg IR tablets. Osco said they'd order it, then said it was backordered. They quoted me a price of $147 for 60 tablets. Costco said their distributor couldn't get it. Same for Walgreens. Same for Target and Walmart.

Then I called CVS and the pharmacist said he'd order it. He couldn't quote me a price but said that it should arrive in about a week. Sure enough it arrived, and it ended up costing me $27.50.

I can't comprehend how Osco was quoting me nearly $150 and CVS ordered and delivered it to me for less than $30. None of this makes any sense. I'm just glad I finally have something that works for me again.

RoxyMusic
02-05-13, 03:04 AM
Rox--thanks for info--but please reply to us all as to what strength and what pill, dex? and Ir or ER, +how many in scrip for that 31 cent price? and what drug store chain , and with what coupon?

Sorry, didn't see your reply, and for some reason I don't receive email when someone replies to me. Grrr!

I paid this much for 10mg Teva IR. 140 tablets at Walgreens in Southern New England. Used the Coast2Coast coupon.

Hope that helps and good luck! Again sorry for the delay!

Bipolarruledout
02-05-13, 11:38 PM
Then I called CVS and the pharmacist said he'd order it. He couldn't quote me a price but said that it should arrive in about a week. Sure enough it arrived, and it ended up costing me $27.50.

I can't comprehend how Osco was quoting me nearly $150 and CVS ordered and delivered it to me for less than $30. None of this makes any sense. I'm just glad I finally have something that works for me again.

Just took my first Mallinckrodt/Wilshire dose today. $45 at Target (with coast2coast coupon card) for 90x10mg. As far as the price discrepancy there's definitely some meddling going with the Barr tabs (Previously the only Dex in existence). The only explanation was gouging somewhere in the supply chain which fully explains the Osco price of $150. In December my last pharmacy quoted me $150 and that was the lowest in town. Some wanted over $1000.00, I'm not even kidding. The kicker is that everyone all the sudden had it in stock where as nearly no one did in the fall. Even $45 is outragious considering I used to pay $35 for this script. Even with the overhead of a CII med it should be cheap as dirt. I'm just happy to see it back to double digits even if I had to jump through hoops to get that price.

ww2Vet+dextabs
02-06-13, 08:52 AM
To all of us beat up adders, doing the time consuming, degrading, pharmacy shuffle--looks like our time has finally come.
With the appearance of new? different, supply distributers/manufactures?
than Teva/Barr--who I think were playing games with us, on both pricing and supply, as they were the only game in town then---NOW we have Wilshire/ Mallinckrott +another ?
SO, lets try collectively, to always specify to pharmacies , these new supply companies--and specify--NO Teva /Barr--To try to teach them a lesson,
FOR WHAT THEY TR[I]ED TO DO TO ALL OF S ???

Nate W
02-06-13, 10:14 AM
Well, how was the Mallinckrodt/Wilshire dextroamphetamine? As good as others claim? I'd like to try some too. All I've ever had is Barr.

--Nate

random_zombie
02-08-13, 08:18 PM
Two things:
1) as I posted in another thread, was able to procure my 180 Barr 5mg dex tablets for around 35 dollars at Walgreen's today, using the Coast-to-Coast printout. Thanks again, VOltaire.

2) Per FDA, as of 1/17/2013, all amphetamine (i.e. both mixed salts and dextro) shortages are completely resolved: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050793.htm

Jason954
03-08-13, 01:40 PM
Ugh. Just got charged an arm and a leg for $3/10mg (Mikart/Wilshire) in a moment of total desperation after days of failed attempts at local CVS
& Walgreens stores in Fort Lauderdale. The final straw was the CVS pharmacist who casually said, "OK, I'll tell the head pharmacist to order it" (pure ********, he didn't even ask to photocopy the prescription
), followed by the pharmacy manager at Walgreens claiming they aren't allowed to order controlled drugs anymore. I almost had a blood vessel burst from rage-induced blood pressure.

It should be illegal for pharmacies to abuse people like this.

Vito, ADDer
03-11-13, 07:44 PM
Just took my first Mallinckrodt/Wilshire dose today...
...er, which one are you taking — Mallinckrodt or Wilshire? They're two completely different brands, made by two completely different manufacturers. Are you taking both?

Vito, ADDer
03-11-13, 10:16 PM
Here are the prices quoted to me today by my local Costco pharmacy:

Barr (Teva)270 ea. 5 mg. IR tabs - $432
270 ea. 10 mg. IR tabs - $483
Wilshire (Mikart)270 ea. 5 mg. IR tabs - $592 (...more expensive than the 10 mg. tabs...WTF?!?!)
270 ea. 10 mg. IR tabs - $523
Covidien (Mallinckrodt)270 ea. 10 mg. IR tabs - $156 (...but Costco can't order them from their supplier...grrrrrrr :mad: )
By contrast, 540 ea. Barr 5 mg. IR tabs cost me ~$130 last July.

Those prices are unconscionable. There is some kind of deliberate manipulation of the pricing going on here. I have no idea whether it's due to regulatory strangulation on the raw materials end, or price fixing by the manufacturers (which some deny) or distributors. But I do know that these medications were once very inexpensive, and they are no more difficult or costly to manufacture now than they ever were.

Somebody is playing games here, and people who need these medications are footing the bill. I've been watching this happen for the last 14 years. They did this with the brand meds (Spansules™), then they did it with the generic ER caps, and now they're doing it again with the generic tabs. I'm getting very irritated.

BlackorWhite
03-12-13, 06:59 AM
I think your right. Even a pharmacist told me she thinks the manufacturers are playing with the market to basicly cash in. Seems like whenever dex is easy to find it's cheap (which is getting less and less frequent...) and the months it is hard to find it is about 5 times as much. I,ve payed as little as $55 for 180 x 10mg tabs barr, and as much as $420 for exact same thing. And these prices were from the same pharmacy. Pharmacies have nothing to do with it. Prices change because of Teva and the others.

dogluver358
03-12-13, 01:42 PM
Ugh. Just got charged an arm and a leg for $3/10mg (Mikart/Wilshire) in a moment of total desperation after days of failed attempts at local CVS
& Walgreens stores in Fort Lauderdale. The final straw was the CVS pharmacist who casually said, "OK, I'll tell the head pharmacist to order it" (pure ********, he didn't even ask to photocopy the prescription
), followed by the pharmacy manager at Walgreens claiming they aren't allowed to order controlled drugs anymore. I almost had a blood vessel burst from rage-induced blood pressure.

It should be illegal for pharmacies to abuse people like this.

Had that same problem where with CVS. They never bothered to call me back either as to whether the "head pharmacist" would order it for me. And Walgreens wouldn't order it either they said not on their suppliers list.

Vito, ADDer
03-12-13, 02:42 PM
Ugh. Just got charged an arm and a leg for $3/10mg (Mikart/Wilshire)...
That's utterly insane for a generic tablet.

When Wilshire (Mikart) entered the market last year, there was great hope that the increased competition would drive prices down. That's exactly what should happen in a normal market, but clearly the generic pharmaceuticals market cannot be considered a normal market. (The massive regulation imposed on it by the Feds precludes that from the get-go.)

In any case, the rapacious pricing of Wilshire's dex has guaranteed that I will not be their customer.

VOltaire
03-13-13, 11:08 PM
Use the card guys I don't understand the logic of discussion regarding retail(rapetail) prices when you can take advantage of my hardwork, still skeptical?? W:phat do you want blood? Lol kidding!

Vito, ADDer
03-14-13, 12:32 AM
Use the card guys I don't understand the logic of discussion regarding retail(rapetail) prices when you can take advantage of my hardwork, still skeptical?? W:phat do you want blood? Lol kidding!
I'm not sure what your objection is. You seem to be assuming that:

Everyone knows about "the card".
That the card will produce the same results for everyone that it has produced for you.

That's an awful lot to assume. Perhaps a more helpful approach would be to actually include a link to your thread about "the card", like this... http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137823
...rather than scolding folks who might not have seen it.

VOltaire
03-14-13, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure what your objection is. You seem to be assuming that:

Everyone knows about "the card".
That the card will produce the same results for everyone that it has produced for you.

That's an awful lot to assume. Perhaps a more helpful approach would be to actually include a link to your thread about "the card", like this... http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137823
...rather than scolding folks who might not have seen it.

Sorry my friend it's called passing the buck I'm only trying to help!

Vito, ADDer
03-25-13, 08:44 PM
I just filled my prescription for a 100-day supply of dex IR — 300 each of Barr (Teva) 5 mg. and 10 mg. tabs. Total cost: $998.90.

The same prescription cost about $150 one year ago. The rape of the generic medication consumer not only continues unabated, but it has now transcended the absurd.

As far as the "drug discount cards" go, they were useless in mitigating the cost. The reason is that I use Costco's pharmacy, whose special member discount already prices the meds lower than any other source.

For the record, I had my Costco pharmacy run the cost on each of the following drug discount cards:

Coast2Coast Rx Card (http://coast2coastrx.com/)
MDC Medication Discount Card (http://medicationdiscountcard.com/drug/amphetamine-dextroamphetamine-coupon/)
FreeDrugCard.us (http://freedrugcard.us/)
DrugCardAmerica (https://quote.sasid.com/drugcardamerica/)
Rxrelief Pharmacy Discount Card (http://rxreliefcard.com/)

There was no cost reduction available with any of them at Costco. In fact, the prices for all of them were higher than the Costco member discount price.

I did the online research for several other so-called discount programs. I was able to dismiss them up front because the prices they quoted were higher than the price quoted to me by Costco before I filled the prescription.

Apparently the discount cards work at other pharmacies where there's a larger markup in the first place. But if you're using Costco, you're already getting the lowest price available, and the discount cards provide no advantage. At least, that was my experience here in SoCal.

random_zombie
03-27-13, 07:15 PM
Vito, I agree with and feel your anger. But I wonder, why do you remain with Costco? On the one hand, there is something to be said for sticking with a pharmacy for various reasons (establishing rapport, etc., especially in this time of stigmatization), but on the other, there is a notable amount of money to be saved.

I have no idea as to how long this Coast2Coast deal will last - I figure it can't be a permanent thing. But why not take advantage even if it means taking business outside your preferred pharmacy?

Vito, ADDer
03-27-13, 09:33 PM
...I have no idea as to how long this Coast2Coast deal will last...why not take advantage even if it means taking business outside your preferred pharmacy?
The point is that for my meds, in the quantity for which my prescription was written, Coast2Coast is not a deal. If I had gone elsewhere, I would have paid more with the Coast2Coast card. I checked prices at several of the other pharmacies that are listed as participants, and they all quoted higher prices than I ended up paying at Costco without the Coast2Coast card...or any of the four other cards I had.

I think there are two different things happening here. One is the fact (and I don't dispute it) that some folks have been able to get big cost savings with these drug discount cards. But the question is when, and where?

See, that's the other thing. The price of dex has skyrocketed here in Southern California—not just at Costco—everywhere. If I had a prescription for 50 or maybe even 100 tablets, I probably could have found a pharmacy that had some in stock that they had purchased from the wholesaler before the prices increased. In that case I probably could have saved some money even without using one of the discount cards, although I would have taken any cost savings I could get. But my scrip was for 600 tablets. No one has that much in stock. Ever. Not even Costco. They always have to order it.

And therein lies the rub. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in The People's Republik of Kaifornia, I can't get 100 tabs here, 50 tabs there, another 75 tabs somewhere else...etc., all on the same prescription. They can only give me what they have in stock or are willing to order, and that's it. The scrip is used up. If I want more, i have to go back to my doctor and get another prescription ($70 per office visit).

So what's the point in that? It ends up costing me more money, and in any case my time is worth more than that. I don't have time for such back-and-forth...and I'm sure not going to waste my time trying to find pharmacies that might...just maybe...have some small quantities of meds that they can sell for less because they bought them when prices were lower.

So you see, I'm not arguing that the drug discount cards don't work. I'm saying that they didn't work for me, right now, at today's prices, here in SoCal, with the games the manufacturers or wholesalers (or both) are playing in collusion with the Federal regulators. If we had an Attorney General with some integrity, the whole lot of them would be indicted for RICO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act ) violations. But that's not going to happen. The Feds are causing the shortages that have driven prices up.

Catch-22. :mad:

VOltaire
03-27-13, 09:56 PM
The point is that for my meds, in the quantity for which my prescription was written, Coast2Coast is not a deal. If I had gone elsewhere, I would have paid more with the Coast2Coast card. I checked prices at several of the other pharmacies that are listed as participants, and they all quoted higher prices than I ended up paying at Costco without the Coast2Coast card...or any of the four other cards I had.

I think there are two different things happening here. One is the fact (and I don't dispute it) that some folks have been able to get big cost savings with these drug discount cards. But the question is when, and where?

See, that's the other thing. The price of dex has skyrocketed here in Southern California—not just at Costco—everywhere. If I had a prescription for 50 or maybe even 100 tablets, I probably could have found a pharmacy that had some in stock that they had purchased from the wholesaler before the prices increased. In that case I probably could have saved some money even without using one of the discount cards, although I would have taken any cost savings I could get. But my scrip was for 600 tablets. No one has that much in stock. Ever. Not even Costco. They always have to order it.

And therein lies the rub. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in The People's Republik of Kaifornia, I can't get 100 tabs here, 50 tabs there, another 75 tabs somewhere else...etc., all on the same prescription. They can only give me what they have in stock or are willing to order, and that's it. The scrip is used up. If I want more, i have to go back to my doctor and get another prescription ($70 per office visit).

So what's the point in that? It ends up costing me more money, and in any case my time is worth more than that. I don't have time for such back-and-forth...and I'm sure not going to waste my time trying to find pharmacies that might...just maybe...have some small quantities of meds that they can sell for less because they bought them when prices were lower.

So you see, I'm not arguing that the drug discount cards don't work. I'm saying that they didn't work for me, right now, at today's prices, here in SoCal, with the games the manufacturers or wholesalers (or both) are playing in collusion with the Federal regulators. If we had an Attorney General with some integrity, the whole lot of them would be indicted for RICO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act ) violations. But that's not going to happen. The Feds are causing the shortages that have driven prices up.

Catch-22. :mad:

Vito I am terribly sorry to heart about this! First I have heard however you also got a 3 months supply and I believe the cards only honors a 30 days supply at a time!
I will looks into this as well as California in general and find out whats going on!

Vito, ADDer
03-27-13, 11:02 PM
Vito I am terribly sorry to heart about this! First I have heard however you also got a 3 months supply and I believe the cards only honors a 30 days supply at a time!
I will looks into this as well as California in general and find out whats going on!
Well, thanks for taking such an interest in this VOltaire, but for the record, none of this redounds upon your obvious good intentions. You didn't cause the price fiasco we're now experiencing. Unless you have some ability to influence the @#$%?£¢∞ manufacturers to stop charging so much for medications that cost them pennies to make, I'm not sure what you can do to help.

This is a crime for which there is no recourse. There is no person or agency to whom we can appeal. The very people who are supposed to be "protecting" consumers from this kind of predatory pricing are strangling the supply in the first place. One person at one of the manufacturers told me that the price increases are due to yet another shortage of ingredients, caused by regulatory limitations on the supply side. The DEA thugs are driving this phony shortage of raw materials, and neither the FDA, nor the FTC, nor any other agency has any power over the DEA.

The only thing that can get them to back off is an Executive Order (not going to happen), an act of Congress (yeah, right), or an injunction by the Supreme Court (don't hold your breath). In other words, the legalized drug cartels can charge whatever they want, and we have no recourse.

random_zombie
03-28-13, 04:40 AM

Ah, I see. I'd glazed over that somehow. Now another question. I'm guessing the three-month mega-script is meant to circumvent the necessity for monthly (re: costly of both time and money) visits with your provider. Thus, I am guessing that California does not allow for post-dated scripts of scheduled medications? That post-dated scripts are allowed in my state of Washington would indicate that it's a per-state thing. Do you know anything more as to how that works? Now for the sake of my own curiosity than anything else...

random_zombie
03-28-13, 05:22 AM
Alright. I guess post-dating isn't the right usage. Per a DEA law change of 2007, practitioners are allowed to write "multiple prescriptions" of a sequential nature, though the ability must align with state law.

However, despite some web-searching, I was unable to find CA's law... alas!

Vito, ADDer
03-28-13, 11:14 AM
random_zombie:

The prescriptions have to be dated, and the prescription form says "Not valid after xx days", or something to that effect. But I don't recall now what "xx" is. The prescriptions are printed by the doctor's data system, so there's no ability to change the dates, and I wouldn't ask him to do so anyhow. There's an almost paranoid mentality here about any amphetamine medications. My doctor (I've been with him for more than 14 years now) is better than most, but the police state mentality that accompanies all amphetamines is ubiquitous, and actually somewhat intimidating. At least, that's the case around here.

I believe that it's meant to be so. The state has so heavily stigmatized amphetamine medications as "dangerous drugs" that it is unwise even to mention them unless absolutely necessary. People accept that without question. I have posted elsewhere that, when dex was unavailable at any price a year ago during the infamous dex shortage of 2011-2012, my only options were either:

Use the next most effective medication (methamphetamine; other meds have proven ineffective, or have undesirable side effects), or...
Go without meds entirely, which is a disaster for me, productivity-wise.

I chose Option 1...and quickly got a wake-up call as to the general mentality regarding methamphetamine. Of all the pharmacies I called, no one had any in stock. Of those pharmacies that would even try to order it (some, like Wal-Mart, insisted they could not order it), some insisted that I had to bring in the prescription, and then wait three days just to find out whether their wholesaler would fill the order. They were not "allowed" (so they said) to contact the wholesaler and ask whether they could order the medication without first forwarding a copy of the prescription to the wholesaler. WTF?

In most cases, it was clear that the people I spoke to did not want to talk about it, and tried to end the conversation as quickly as possible. In at least one case (a Sav-On pharmacy), the arrogant "person" (...other, more colorful nouns apply) I spoke to had the temerity to lecture me that I shouldn't be using such "dangerous drugs". :faint:

It took me a while to reboot my brain after that encounter. At least my Costco pharmacy (where I have been a customer since the 1990s) knows me and didn't give me any crap about ordering the meds. In all cases, the cost of the meth meds was much higher than the cost of dex (at that time), but at least it was available. There was no dex to be had anywhere except in small quantities at random pharmacies.

Anyhow, you get the picture. While illegal use of amphetamines has been increasing (so much for the DEA's efforts to limit its use), there is a nearly universal stigmatization of the medication. I sometimes wonder whether it's a prelude to outright banning of amphetamines...although, if the prices continue to escalate, I suppose they won't have to criminalize it. No one will be able to afford it.

Sickle
05-07-13, 07:49 PM
I am trying to ask for Mallinckrodt or Wilshire for now on... Barr is just wavy... I used to get the same quantity of both brand dextrostat 10 mg and dexedrine brand 5 mg tabs 120 pills each and they both together cost approximately $40 without insurance.

I go to a mom and pop place and have been on stimulants here since I came in 2007 so I don't get the same attitude and subtle eye rolls as I do at chain pharmacists, nor do I get given generic Adderall instead. Also, I have a 60-80 mg dose permission as per my doctor but insurance will cover 180 at the most and I rarely take more than 40 mg so I never run out, I have a file with the Dexedrine being the one that worked the best and I was on it for 15 years or so... as a kid... after the XR hell, and trials, I have been through them all because apparently dexedrine is "like giving people crack" with the exception of a small percentage of people with ADHD/Narcolepsy... an old German man and this new lady were the only ones to consider the option as an adult.

I understand the reasoning but then I get online and see some of the crap they are rxing ADHD meds for, "Ritalin for depression, Dexedrine for exhaustion, Vyvanse for Schizophrenia (Seriously??)." The shortages also include the fakers looking for diet pills or party, final exam pills... but the Dexedrine people tend to be the Dexedrine people so I don't understand why they'd get jacked up in price... Adderall and Ritalin are the most known so it makes more sense with them. I hope I don't have to go back to short acting focalin tabs again... there was a law passed that would allow for higher distribution and more raw material in shortages and Barr isn't the only sherrif in town now... If Mallinckrodt D/C'd and came back, why can't the real Dexedrine and even Dextrostat... Mallinckrodt is at that level but since they cancelled it before, who knows if they will again and I have no experience with Wilshire yet.

Notafadd
06-05-13, 02:47 PM
I'm curious if anyone has tried redeeming the coupon on rxreliefcard.com for "up to 93% off" dex. How much of a discount did you actually get? I only noticed the "up to" yesterday. I guess this is like those discount offers for cars. You'll get the full discount if you're a retired student veteran on active duty with a 4.0 GPA... I'll find out soon enough anyway.

Fraser_0762
06-05-13, 02:51 PM
Anybody wonder if there really is a shortage? And that they're not just lying so they can hike the prices up? :confused:

Vito, ADDer
06-05-13, 05:58 PM
I'm curious if anyone has tried redeeming the coupon on rxreliefcard.com for "up to 93% off" dex. How much of a discount did you actually get?...
Discount = 0% at Costco pharmacy with all of the following cards:

Rx Relief
MDC - Medication Discount Card
DrugCardAmerica
FreeDrugCard.us
Coast2Coast Rx Card

I have compared prices at all of the chain pharmacies — WalMart, Walgreens, Target, CVS, Sav-On, Thrifty — and various independent pharmacies. Costco consistently has the lowest price on my dex prescription, without the card, compared to everywhere else, with or without the card.

It's my understanding that the discount cards work in some cases, or at least they have worked in the past. But no card I've found makes a dent in the astronomical cost I paid to get my last prescription filled...nor do any of the cards provide any discount whatsoever on any of the other medications used by me or my family, compared to the Costco price.

As far as I can tell, if you normally pay full the retail price for your medications, apparently the cards do provide some benefit. But for my purposes, none of the drug discount cards provide any benefit whatsoever. Whether that's true in your area I can't say. The only way to tell is to ask for pricing both ways — with or without the card — from all the pharmacies in your area.

Notafadd
06-06-13, 11:23 PM
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I'm going to call Costco tomorrow and see how the prescription prices out with my insurance and with the coupon. My insurance covers 75% of the cost. I suspect that'll still work out to be around $70.

mannip23
07-01-13, 04:01 PM
Discount = 0% at Costco pharmacy with all of the following cards:

Rx Relief
MDC - Medication Discount Card
DrugCardAmerica
FreeDrugCard.us
Coast2Coast Rx Card

I have compared prices at all of the chain pharmacies — WalMart, Walgreens, Target, CVS, Sav-On, Thrifty — and various independent pharmacies. Costco consistently has the lowest price on my dex prescription, without the card, compared to everywhere else, with or without the card.

It's my understanding that the discount cards work in some cases, or at least they have worked in the past. But no card I've found makes a dent in the astronomical cost I paid to get my last prescription filled...nor do any of the cards provide any discount whatsoever on any of the other medications used by me or my family, compared to the Costco price.

As far as I can tell, if you normally pay full the retail price for your medications, apparently the cards do provide some benefit. But for my purposes, none of the drug discount cards provide any benefit whatsoever. Whether that's true in your area I can't say. The only way to tell is to ask for pricing both ways — with or without the card — from all the pharmacies in your area.

All I can tell you is that the tech at Costco probably thought the Coast2Coastrx was like all the other cards that don't work an didn't bother to key in everything. I have had the same luck with discounts cards until this one. My doc just switched me from 120 Adderall 30ir to 240 Dex 10ir because only Sandoz brand worked and when it was on back order I was screwed. I almost did not even try the card because of reading your post, and just going back to my doc for Adderall instead because I couldn't do $500 every month. Went to Walgreens and told the girl to really try to see what this card does because it really works for some. Even she was in shock my price went $550 to $105. This card is the real deal.

leifeing
07-01-13, 04:59 PM
I've gained about 5Lbs

kuahara
07-03-13, 12:16 AM
The last time I went in to get my monthly subscription (several months ago), I was being asked to pay $465 for a 1 month supply. I don't have insurance and can't get insurance. My work and ability to learn at a reasonable pace is suffering and has been suffering for a while due to lack of meds.

Does anyone know how/if/when obamacare will affect or change this?

Do I have any alternatives? When I was younger, doctors cycled me through all sorts of medications until they tried dexedrine. All along the way I never knew if the other meds were working before because none of them had worked and I didn't know what a med that works actually does. When we arrived on dexedrine the me on the meds and the me off them were two completely different people functionally. I am much more successful in every area of life when I have access to the medication I need to think straight.

My doctor is willing to prescribe the medication, but it is very, very expensive =/

ww2Vet+dextabs
07-03-13, 10:04 AM
Kuahara--Your post said u went to pharm, about 2/3 months ago---THATS WHEN THERE WAS A SHORTAGE?? contrived, probably---and prices were super hi---BUT now back to normal in most areas, it seems---I got the same price quote as u, then--but now at walgreens +walmart, am back to 35/37$ for my 90 -10 mg dextromet, sometimes with any one of 4/5 discount cards I have in their files, for me--as mentioned elsewhere here.
I find plain ol dextroamp works as well as other more expensive meeds, with less side effects----SO, retry your scrip now--hopefully todays originally low prices, are avail in your area---ww2 vet on dex tabs