View Full Version : focalinXR question:)

lotuslove
05-13-11, 02:03 PM
Anyone know if it is ok to take FocalinXR in two separate doses of 5mgs each 4 to 6 hrs apart? Just wondering if this may help with the lag that I feel after 4hrs of taking it or if anyone else has experience in doing this. I take 10mgs total per day currently. Thanks!!

BR549
05-13-11, 03:24 PM
Welcome!!! I'd try posting your question either in the Gen ADD or Focalin section. You'll probably get more responses! :)

buddy
05-13-11, 07:08 PM
Hello & Welcome to the Forums!

BalanceisKey
05-13-11, 09:56 PM
do you mean split 1- 10mg xr into two doses?

happierin09
05-14-11, 09:37 AM
I don't think you can split the dose, but maybe you can see about adding a second dose so that you'd take 2-10 mg, 1 in the am, 1 4-6 hours later maybe. It would be best to check with your doctor about what they would recommend. My pdoc added an IR boost for me for afternoons, and that's helped a bit. My XR dose lasts 6-8 hours usually, so the IR dose helps me finish out the rest of my day.

Trooper Keith
05-14-11, 10:23 AM
Focalin releases in two separate "waves" much like Adderall. The first "wave" is supposed to peak in between 1-3 hours, the second in about 5-7 hours.

Taking the dose twice runs the risk of peaking higher than you need to peak, or lasting too long and preventing you from sleeping.

lotuslove
05-14-11, 12:42 PM
yes...but to take a 5mg capsule in the am and then another 5mg 4/6hrs later. I just don't like feeling sleepy after about 4 hrs of onset. Although I find that if I make myself keep busy and not sit down to rest bc of the drowsiness, that it soon passes. I'm just now starting on ADD meds for the 1st time ever so this is all new to me. I will be bumping up to 15mgs per day in another day per my doc...then a follow up to assess if further increase or change is needed. Not sure if I like the focalinXR. I don't like the "crash" after the 10 to 12hrs. I have kids and my day is LONG so I also start ADDing out again when it's time to wrap the day up with dinner, baths, story time, brushing teeth and tucking in. Sad to say but I need 18hrs of relief from being a flake...lol. I'm gonna discuss with the doc the possible adding of the IR dose like happierin09 talked about:) Thanks everyone!!

lotuslove
05-14-11, 01:01 PM
@ BalanceisKey ..I meant to answer your reply but I answered your question in a separate reply I guess to all...I'm new to forums:)

hollywood
05-15-11, 12:39 AM
Concerta or focalin? Opinions?

lotuslove
05-20-11, 06:32 PM
Concerta or focalin? Opinions?
don't know anything about concerta....So far the focalin is working out for me:)

jennsation
05-21-11, 10:48 PM
I just started Focalin today, so I haven't gotten that far yet, but that is what my doctor is going to have me try.

After four days on 5 mg Focalin in the morning, depending on how I am feeling, I will either go to 2 5mg pills in the morning (if I think I am not feeling the 5mg) or if I like the 5mg but it's wearing off too soon, he wants me to take 5 mg in the morning (I generally take my meds at 8-ish) and another 5mg around 1pm and we'll see how that works out for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

happierin09
05-22-11, 08:56 AM
I've been on XR 20 mg for about a month, after a month at 10 mg, and am bumping up to 30 mg later this week to see if that takes the focus where I need it to be. I also take a 10 mg booster in the afternoon on my work days, but not usually on my days off because I sleep in a bit more on those days, so end up taking the XR dose later and don't need the IR boost as much, unless I have important plans for the evening or something.

My need for sleep has increased on the Focalin. Prior to starting Vyvanse back in December, I was "getting by" on about 4-5 hours. After Vyvanse, I couldn't go on less than 5, usually closer to 6. Since switching to Focalin, I'm now on 6-7 hours of sleep consistently, and can't even wake up on less than 6 unless it's by force. I've also gained back all the darn weight I lost on Vyvanse, but I can't really say Focalin is the cause, it's more high stress, little to no exercise, and crappy, crappy eating for the majority of the time I've been on it. Things are slowing down now for the most part with my family, so I'm getting to focus a little more on me and what I need to do to be healthier rather than just go this way and that way and grab some crappy convenience store food on the way. I'm hoping the stupid weight will come back off as I get more active again. My "crash" with Focalin isn't much fun as I just desperately want a nap about 1-2 pm every day, thus the IR boost to keep me from doing just that.

My pdoc upped the 20 mg to 30 mg, but left my IR at 10. I had hoped if she was going to change the 20 to 30, she'd change the 10 to 15 too so that it would be like getting three 15 mg IR doses, but we'll see how this goes first I guess. I have to wait on getting the scripts filled for a few days though because I'm waiting on the insurance company to approve a lower copay on it. Such a pain, but I guess worth it to get my copay cut by almost 2/3. I can, maybe a little bit, with a lot of effort, be patient for a couple more days while they process the paperwork, if I try really hard and don't stare at the script forms waiting to be taken in the whole time :D Patience has never been one of my better virtues.

I really hope this is the last adjustment for a while. I feel like a lab rat changing things up every month trying to tweak things. If this doesn't work, well, I'm not sure what I'll do. I do know that the Focalin is helping though, as I was really, really late in taking it yesterday, and spent my morning feeling like a nutcase because I couldn't say what I wanted to say in the way I wanted to say it. Luckily my friend that I was spending the day with is a nurse, is well versed in ADHD, and is amazingly patient :D