View Full Version : Best med for impulse control?

mrsh
05-14-11, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any experience with a med that worked really well for impulse control? Or, any ideas for retraining your brain to stop a pattern of thought? Increased physical activity does help but if you have an injury that is limiting, then what?? :confused:

antzb92
08-16-11, 08:56 AM
I am on wellbutrin and it has made a huge difference in controlling impulses. It completely eliminated desire to do any drugs (alcohol, nicotine, etc....) also, so the only only things I take now is adderall. I also crave coke cola for some reason but thats beside the fact. It really helps keep a good balance with all the medications that I'm on, so maybe it is worth a try.

TygerSan
08-16-11, 09:08 AM
The stimulants (Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin) can definitely help with impulse control. . . if you *don't* want a stimulant, then the noradrenergic drugs are probably the best second-line treatments (and may actually do more for hyperactive/impulsive symptoms than for inattention). Those drugs include guanfacine (tenex/intuniv) and/or clonodine (new time release version is Kapvay).