View Full Version : paraphilias

sighduck
05-14-11, 02:00 PM
Paraphilia (in Greek para παρά = beside and -philia φιλία = friendship, having the meaning of love) is a biomedical term used to describe sexual arousal to objects, situations, or individuals that are not part of normative stimulation and that may cause distress or serious problems for the paraphiliac or persons associated with him or her. A paraphilia involves sexual arousal and gratification towards sexual behavior that is atypical and extreme.[1] The term was coined by Wilhelm Stekel in the 1920s.[2] Controversial sexologist John Money later popularized the term as a nonpejorative designation for unusual sexual interests.[3][4][5][6] He described paraphilia as "a sexuoerotic embellishment of, or alternative to the official, ideological norm."[7]
In the late 19th century, psychologists and psychiatrists started to categorize various paraphilias as they wanted a more descriptive system than the legal and religious constructs of sodomy[8] and perversion.[9] Before the introduction of the term paraphilia in the DSM-III (1980), the term sexual deviation was used to refer to paraphilias in the first two editions of the manual.[10] American Journal of Psychiatry[11] describes paraphilia as "recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors generally involving:
Non-human objects
The suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner
Children
Non-consenting persons[12]
Up until 1973, sexual attraction to persons of the same sex was included in this list.[13]
The view of paraphilias as disorders is not universal. Some groups seeking greater understanding and acceptance of sexual diversity have lobbied for changes to the legal and medical status of unusual sexual interests and practices. Charles Allen Moser, a physician and advocate for sexual minorities, has argued that the diagnoses should be eliminated from diagnostic manuals.[14] Psychiatrist Glen Gabbard writes that despite efforts by Stekel and Money, "the term paraphilia remains pejorative in most circumstances." [15]
In the current version of the DSM (DSM-IV-TR), a paraphilia is not diagnosable as a psychiatric disorder unless it causes distress to the individual or harm to others. The DSM-5 draft adds a terminology distinction between the two cases, stating that "paraphilias are not ipso facto psychiatric disorders", and defining paraphilic disorder as "a paraphilia that causes distress or impairment to the individual or harm to others".[16] This will make a clear distinction between a healthy person with a non-normative sexual behavior and a person with a psychopathological non-normative sexual behavior.
In the United States, following a series of landmark cases in the US Supreme Court, persons diagnosed with paraphilias and a history of anti-social behavior, particularly pedophilia (Kansas v. Hendricks, 1997) and exhibitionism (Kansas v. Crane, 2002), can be held indefinitely in civil confinement under various state legislation generically known as Sexually violent predator laws[17][18] and the federal Adam Walsh Act (United States v. Comstock, 2010).[19][20]

for a more complete list see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paraphilias

interested to see if anyone else here has any of these? and if they are the only way you can be aroused if you do?

I most likely have Paraphilic infantilism... and it is not the only way i can be aroused...

K-Funk
05-18-11, 03:23 AM
Hey man, if your desires are that strong I'd suggest getting some help before you did something that was harmful to another human being...

for a more complete list see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paraphilias

interested to see if anyone else here has any of these? and if they are the only way you can be aroused if you do?

I most likely have Paraphilic infantilism... and it is not the only way i can be aroused...

Impromptu_DTour
05-18-11, 07:56 AM
Hey man, if your desires are that strong I'd suggest getting some help before you did something that was harmful to another human being...

:confused:

Im not sure you're understanding, paraphelic infantilism is not a deviant or violent fetish, and doesnt involve harming or being harmed.

Not everything that is considered a paraphelia is harmfully deviant, for instance, BDSM (really) isnt harmfully deviant.

No need to shame the op. I think some credit is due for sharing that.

I cant say that i have a paraphelia, but i think they're really interesting.

I_DTour

K-Funk
05-18-11, 10:22 AM
OK, then I misunderstood. I looked through the wiki link and thought I read that paraphelic infantalism was an attraction to children under the age of 5.

If I was wrong, then I truly apologize!!!

:confused:

Im not sure you're understanding, paraphelic infantilism is not a deviant or violent fetish, and doesnt involve harming or being harmed.

Not everything that is considered a paraphelia is harmfully deviant, for instance, BDSM (really) isnt harmfully deviant.

No need to shame the op. I think some credit is due for sharing that.

I cant say that i have a paraphelia, but i think they're really interesting.

I_DTour

Kaimei
05-18-11, 10:41 AM
OK, then I misunderstood. I looked through the wiki link and thought I read that paraphelic infantalism was an attraction to children under the age of 5.

If I was wrong, then I truly apologize!!!

Nope, infantilism isn't going to harm anyone else. You're confusing paraphelic infantalism with infantophilia. HUGE difference.

I, too, think that the OP deserves mad credit for bringing this topic up. I'm an active member in the BDSM community and I have been for years, so I'm well aware of what it takes to bring this kind of personal information out into the open.

To the OP - no, I personally don't have any paraphilias, just fetishes, though I know several people who do. I'm not sure if you're interested in exploring that any further, or what your lifestyle is like, but I can definitely point you to a few places to check out. PM me if you're interested.

Retromancer
05-18-11, 03:38 PM
I have a fetish ... YOU have a paraphilia. ;)

To the OP - no, I personally don't have any paraphilias, just fetishes, though I know several people who do.

Impromptu_DTour
05-18-11, 05:38 PM

incorrect sir, paraphelic infantilism is not an attraction to children at all.

Lunacie
05-18-11, 06:07 PM

That was my first thought as well. I actually had to look it up to see what it really is. It's something I've heard of but don't believe I ever heard the name for before this.

K-Funk
05-20-11, 10:01 AM
yeah, but you can see how one could easily make that mistake...

Impromptu_DTour
05-20-11, 05:20 PM
yeah, but you can see how one could easily make that mistake...

sure, but that doesnt make it ok that you went far enough to suggest the op needs help, before checking your own source.

sighduck
05-21-11, 02:42 PM
To the OP - no, I personally don't have any paraphilias, just fetishes, though I know several people who do. I'm not sure if you're interested in exploring that any further, or what your lifestyle is like, but I can definitely point you to a few places to check out. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks a lot for this, it helps me feel a little less like a complete weirdo :)

this also helps a lot http://understanding.infantilism.org/what_is_infantilism.php

but the main reason i started this was to see if there were any other people with some form of paraphilia here, and see how they deal with it...
i'm also interested to see if there might be some sort of link between this and adhd

Conman
05-26-11, 02:02 PM
uh...question: is there a difference between paraphilia and fetish, or are they the same person?

Kaimei
05-26-11, 03:47 PM
uh...question: is there a difference between paraphilia and fetish, or are they the same person?

From a purely diagnostic point of view, a fetish is sexual arousal in response to a certain object or situation that does not necessarily cause the person distress. Paraphilias, on the other hand, are so extreme and intense that they do cause the sufferer distress or impairment - psychological damage, inability to function normally, etc.

From a BDSM point of view (at least in my experience) a fetish is generally viewed as something that assists and/or heightens sexual arousal and gratification, but is not required every time. A paraphilia, however, means that the object is required every time for sexual arousal and gratification. It's the difference between choice and necessity.

Conman
05-26-11, 03:49 PM
ah. thankyou for the clarification. no paraphilias

K-Funk
05-29-11, 07:11 AM
gee, it's almost like I did something impulsively or something without thinking it through. wierd. ;) anyways I apologized.

sure, but that doesnt make it ok that you went far enough to suggest the op needs help, before checking your own source.

Impromptu_DTour
05-29-11, 07:54 AM
gee, it's almost like I did something impulsively or something without thinking it through. wierd. ;) anyways I apologized.

im not certain i understand what you mean. it could be my ADHD..

but did you just totally blow off the fact that you openly called someone a pedophile, and just justify it because you have ADHD?

great way to hold yourself accountable.

my favorite part so far in this.. is that you havnt once apologized to sighduck.

youve apologized to me.. twice now. But sighduck, who you accused, hasnt recieved one direct word from you.

i thought they ruled out that ADHD was a moral disorder, like.. most of a century ago.

it really bothers me that you're just ";)'ing" this one away like it aint no thing.

comes off to me as a Moral / Ethics issue, rather than an Impuslivity issue. Not holding yourself accountable and hiding behind ADHD is even worse.

I_DTour

K-Funk
05-29-11, 12:11 PM
dude, what is your deal?? my point is and was I checked the linked article and misread the para-infantile thing and made a mistake and thought I read correctly that he was talking about infantile pedophilia. that mistake in misreading and commenting based on my misreading before I thought it through and double checked is TOTALLY ADHD and when called out on it I said "oops my bad!".

I thought there was no harm no foul, since it was unintentional and without malice and I admitted my error. But you keep harping on it so I tried addressing the issue in a "light hearted" way hence the smileys. I didn't "accuse" him ok? I misunderstood the name of his paraphilia and based on what I thought I read suggested he see someone about what I beleived at the time was his paraphilia.

I thought my apology covered sigh duck as well but since you don't think so and just wanna drag this out....

Sighduck I'm sorry, I misunderstood you, didn't read carefully and came to an inappropriate conclusion and I apologize for the insinuation I know you are not a pedophile.

Cool?

im not certain i understand what you mean. it could be my ADHD..

but did you just totally blow off the fact that you openly called someone a pedophile, and just justify it because you have ADHD?

great way to hold yourself accountable.

my favorite part so far in this.. is that you havnt once apologized to sighduck.

youve apologized to me.. twice now. But sighduck, who you accused, hasnt recieved one direct word from you.

i thought they ruled out that ADHD was a moral disorder, like.. most of a century ago.

it really bothers me that you're just ";)'ing" this one away like it aint no thing.

comes off to me as a Moral / Ethics issue, rather than an Impuslivity issue. Not holding yourself accountable and hiding behind ADHD is even worse.

I_DTour

sighduck
05-29-11, 02:01 PM
lol, i really wasnt all that offended by it TBH, then again... i dont get offended easily at all, your apology is accepted though, but i do understand Impromptou's issue as well, most people would be really hurt by that comment... but, no harm was done, so lets just move on with the topic :)

K-Funk
05-29-11, 02:21 PM
cool man, thanks :)

lol, i really wasnt all that offended by it TBH, then again... i dont get offended easily at all, your apology is accepted though, but i do understand Impromptou's issue as well, most people would be really hurt by that comment... but, no harm was done, so lets just move on with the topic :)