View Full Version : Work out-ey people, unite!

tipoo
05-17-11, 08:10 PM
Just wondering, what do everyone's workouts look like? I do tuesdays, thursdays, saturdays and sundays. I alternate between upper and lower body each day. I also jog 3k each day, I'll slowly ramp that up to 5+.

In the circuit room (set of weights for each body part) I do 2 sets of 8-15 reps (I try to reach muscle fatigue before 10, if not I raise the weight) on each machine. This is widely regarded as optimal for muscle building.

I try to consume 30 grams of whey 40 minutes before or immediately after each work out, since its a very fast absorbing and fast utilized protein. I know some people eat 100 or more, but I already get more protein in my day from regular sources than that so the whey is just a booster.

I took a months long hiatus from hitting the gym mostly due to gluttony, but since starting again I was surprised at how quickly I could ramp back up to my former max, and soon surpass it. Already seeing some changes in how I stand, muscle tone, endurance, and strength :)

You?

APSJ
05-17-11, 08:18 PM
I've started exercising periodically over the years, usually ceasing after a few weeks, or a couple months at the most.

My psychiatrist has basically prescribed exercise now, and so far, the monthly check ins have been sufficient impetus to keep me going...been a few months now..

Sunday I run 6-10 miles
Monday, push ups, crunches, etc.
Wednesday, pull ups (Because it's quick, and I have particularly little time Wednesdays)
Thursdays run 4-6 miles
Fridays, same as mondays
Saturdays, pull ups again (but I forget more often than not)

(i don't go to a gym...the thought of doing all this stuff in the midst of groups of strangers is horrifying)

anonymouslyadd
05-17-11, 09:21 PM
I do Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday. I do physical therapy exercises, which have become the bulk of my workouts. There's a lot of stabiltiy exercises in there which is good for me. I'm also training my whole body, which seems to be easier for me.

I haven't figured out a pattern for the cardio I do. I have this Billy Blanks cd, which has been useful. I like to run around two blocks about 5 times or 20 minutes.

sops
05-17-11, 11:13 PM
Haha.. when I was being diagnosed for anxiety disorder, doc prescribed exercise and after hearing my exercise regime, doc said, "I think you should cut down on the exercise." I told her I can't or I'll be depressed and anxious.

Anyways I train almost everyday as I'm quite competitive in my sports. I don't usually keep a fixed schedule but on average it's like this:
Monday - Gym (weights) + swim 1-2km
Tuesday - Run 10 km
Wednesday - swim + martial arts
Thursday - Gym (weights) + Run 8-10km
Friday - Usually hang out with friends/pig out (rest day. TGIF man!)
Saturday - Mountain biking (weee!) 8am - 3pm
Sunday - Dirtbiking/races/sports events

Thing is, with the amount of exercise that I do, I am still big sized. Oh well, it's the impulsive eating too.. :P

DaneV
05-18-11, 04:29 PM
Wow you do a lot! I`ve just started excersising, hoping it will alleviate my depression and anxiety. Tried Prozac but it didn`t work (just made me tired), so i hope this will bring me close to a cure. But i guess, as with antidepressants, i have to be patient. Sops; do i understand well that you say your excersise program took away your anxiety and depression symptoms? If so; how long did it take for you to notice any difference? And did it help for the ad(h)d aswell?

Blueranne
05-18-11, 04:39 PM
This has been my schedule lately.

M, W, and F I do yoga and cycle toning.

T, T, and S I do a power pump class or other free weight stuff and light cardio.

With the exception of the last 2 weeks I've been pretty dedicated to working out 6/7 days a week. It makes me a happier person.

peripatetic
05-18-11, 05:10 PM
i go trail running several times a week (for the past month averaging only twice a week, i'd estimate, but for the past...many years prior at least three and usually four or five times). i usually go for one to one and a half hours at a time. lately i've been doing very long runs though.

i should say that i'm unsure my running is so much a "workout" thing as part habit (my father and i started running together when i was pretty young) and i've never excercised for weight maintenance purposes. it just clears my head...while i'm doing it.

i also have a road bike as my primary means of transportation. and live in san francisco...but, again...just activity and not really done to be a workout. i probably bike...i'd say 5-10 miles (roundtrip to campus, plus going here and there) on most weekdays...less on weekends.

sops
05-19-11, 09:40 PM
Wow you do a lot! I`ve just started excersising, hoping it will alleviate my depression and anxiety. Tried Prozac but it didn`t work (just made me tired), so i hope this will bring me close to a cure. But i guess, as with antidepressants, i have to be patient. Sops; do i understand well that you say your excersise program took away your anxiety and depression symptoms? If so; how long did it take for you to notice any difference? And did it help for the ad(h)d aswell?

Hehe.. I HAVE to, else I'll be restless and I can't focus at work. Also I'l be depressed and my emotions would be overwhelming. Even my supervisor knows this and she is very kind enough to let me go for 8km runs in the mornings if I ever need it. My bosses are all very understanding and active people, but I do feel that I get raised looks from some of my colleagues and am thinking that they are saying "This guy must be damn free or skiving. Everyone else is doing work and he's out for a run". Thing is, I always meet my deadlines.

Thing is, like dosage for meds, it took a while for me to get the correct "dosage" for my exercise. Too much and I'll be too tired and just want to sleep. Too little and I'll still be restless or not focused. Constantly tweak your exercise programme and see how much works for you. I'm not on any meds by the way and I find that if this works, why not?

Grasshoppaa
05-19-11, 10:30 PM
This thread makes me sad. :(

I walk my dog about 300ft a few times a day, does that count?

Seriously though, I need to start a workout routine. I used to workout regularly, but I just lost the motivation to do it. Anyone have any good words of advice to help me motivate myself to work out?

tipoo
05-19-11, 10:37 PM
Anyone have any good words of advice to help me motivate myself to work out?

Lowered mortality rate for one :)

Scooter77
05-19-11, 11:06 PM
I'm a runner, I log about 40km a week.
I find it's fantastic release when I'm angry or anxious, but I do have to be careful not to become obsessive about it so I don't track my time or calories anymore :-)

Grasshoppaa
05-19-11, 11:10 PM
I'm a runner, I log about 40km a week.
I find it's fantastic release when I'm angry or anxious, but I do have to be careful not to become obsessive about it so I don't track my time or calories anymore :-)

I ran track and cross country for 3yrs in high school, which pretty much ruined running for me. I'll run for like 10mins on the treadmill sometimes, but even that is more running than I really want to do.

metzfanaz
05-21-11, 03:30 AM
Monday - Zumba
Tuesday - Turbo Kick
Thursday - Zumba and Body Tone
Friday - Treadmill and Upper Body Weights
Saturday - Zumba and Body Tone

I don't do a lot of running, if I can help it none at all along with minimal jumping as I have very poor knees. :p

Smilodon_UP
05-21-11, 05:26 PM
Kudos for logging the long runs folks. I tried a 5K once, and hated it. Utterly - with the kind of loathing reserved for, well, other nasty stuff.

I used to swim and bike regularly, and obviously in the service had to run every other day, which I've never really cared for even before my knees started to get 'clicky'.

Running just gets so boring, there isn't enough involvement to shut down my mind and get into any kind of groove or steady pace to overcome wanting to stop. I also have breathing issues while running that I do not get cycling, which is odd. Probably just a brain hiccup though telling me I'm being an idiot for running at all, and not asthma or anything.

I think cycling is just enough faster and requires more brainpower to watch out for obstacles and people on the path that I focus on the moment instead of distance and exhaustion.

Swimming locally is impossible, there are no large enough pools and the big lakes usually too cold for exercise, as well as being quite far with no way to get there sans vehicle. The small lakes swarm with boaters who possess money enough to keep them running but lack the smarts to actually own a boat if there was a test akin to getting a driver's license.

Aside from those two activities, I do not exercise alone. Just waaay too boring.

And never around strangers. I can exercise up a storm, and still look like flab boy regardless of diet, crunches, etc etc. No need to gross out the spandexy types.