View Full Version : Ways to turn on hyperactivity when needed

jadamgo
05-19-11, 05:18 PM
As is common with growing ADHDers, I have less and less trouble with hyperactivity as the years go by. In fact, sometimes I want to intentionally trigger some hyperactivity for the times it comes in handy, such as mornings when I can't wake up, or when it's time to exercise.

It makes sense that if there are ways to calm hyperactivity down (such as deep breathing or exercising the energy away), there are also ways to activate it. Who has suggestions?

Tamsin
06-04-11, 09:20 PM
I don't really have hyperactivity as I have always been pretty calm, but I find when I turn music on I literally can't sit still. I have to clean or cook or do something other than surf the internet.

Space Sphere
07-24-11, 09:02 AM
First off, I don't have a whole lot of experience. I'm starting to come to grips with ADHD and I'm 26

what helps me is making various playlists. And honestly, the hyperactivity allows you to only multitask better, but the quality of work done in this time just TANKS because of it.

Thanks to Itunes allowing me to get my organizational OCD on; I've constructed playlists in ways that manipulate hyperactivity or tone is down enough that I can focus on something.

I'd suggest running through your collection of music and seeing which music gets you amped (if you have the 'hyperactivity bug' songs that get you amped are EASY to pick out). The tricky part is finding mellow music that you can listen to the whole way through. My suggestion is to find mellow music that have NO LYRICS. To me, lyrics tend to snag my attention away from what I'm trying to focus on to begin with, but I have found some that DO have lyrics that I'm able to not get 'snagged' by.

There's notable exceptions to everything.

And it's all up to your music taste too. I get amped from listening to a few indy No-Wave bands. To most, it sounds like uncoordinated noise and garbage. I feel if I want the hyperactivity, I'm going to feed the frenetic monster some frenetic ambiance.

The thing is that, thanks to the fickle nature of ADHD, you'll end up having to make constant small updates to your playlists here and there. But I have found that music can manipulate it a bit.

I'm also NOT medicated (one of the few)

Amanda B
07-24-11, 09:06 AM
I can't switch willingly. It just comes when it wants to :rolleyes:

Rebelyell
07-24-11, 09:10 AM
Im hyper most of the time I cant sit still for squat Im like a wound up robot.I go from 1 thing to another.probably why half the time I get zilch done.

Song of Mercy
07-24-11, 09:22 AM
I think walking may help with this also. I know walking in the am gives me an overall boost of motivation all day.

sarahsweets
07-24-11, 09:25 AM
My hyperactivity manifests itself as my mind going a million miles a minute with my thoughts jumping from one thing to another and unfortunately I have no control over it.

Rebelyell
07-24-11, 04:25 PM
1 I get hyper look out its hard for me to come down and calm down,Ill be off the wall literally for hours.Like rush manic hyper where Ill act like an idiot to try to get a laugh:D

Gnosis
10-24-11, 12:23 PM
I used to be incredibly hyperactive when I was a child (girl here too!)

I used to literally jump off the top of our refrigerator and I used to regularly move (when I was a kid) my stacked formica bedroom bookshelves...

I also used to dance like Crazy.. and sit in our swivel chair and go round and round until I was dizzy (I guess I liked the "high").

I danced and danced up into my 20's but then when I hit 30.. I had apt's where I didn't feel I had enough privacy to really dance... and now.. I have put on about 30 lb's and I can't bring my energy up enough to dance. (except when I go to see a good band .. which is now rare).

Now.. I feel myself moving my leg incessently at work... I feel like I am in a straighjacket and it makes me really uptight.

I tend to bottle up the energy and let it out in emotional ways...

I sometimes will get out on a swing.. but that is hard too as they discourage adults from using child playground equipment.

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason..

When I was in HS I lost all my friends because I used to dance to the stereo in the lunchroom... (why it was ok for the Seniors to have a stereo on and dance to it and not myself.. I cannot fathom). They literally sat me down en masse and said they no longer wanted to be my friends because I looked like I was "on drugs"...

so.. yeah.. I am a freaky woman with lots of pent up energy.

Warder
02-28-12, 09:23 AM
Not dignified to go running across a field? Why wouldn't it be? I'm mad enough to do it just because. And I'll even do silly things while I'm at it :D

But seriously, I use parkour to manage my energy levels. They've been out of control the last few weeks as I've not had time to train :(

I would REALLY love to know how to harness my hyperactivity and all the other goodies we get, but beyond being able to force myself past the boundaries of exhaustion, I've not had much luck in recent years.

Going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has ideas :D I'll post some as I get them, to be sure.

Fraser_0762
02-28-12, 10:06 AM
I used to be incredibly hyperactive when I was a child (girl here too!)

I used to literally jump off the top of our refrigerator and I used to regularly move (when I was a kid) my stacked formica bedroom bookshelves...

I also used to dance like Crazy.. and sit in our swivel chair and go round and round until I was dizzy (I guess I liked the "high").

I danced and danced up into my 20's but then when I hit 30.. I had apt's where I didn't feel I had enough privacy to really dance... and now.. I have put on about 30 lb's and I can't bring my energy up enough to dance. (except when I go to see a good band .. which is now rare).

Now.. I feel myself moving my leg incessently at work... I feel like I am in a straighjacket and it makes me really uptight.

I tend to bottle up the energy and let it out in emotional ways...

I sometimes will get out on a swing.. but that is hard too as they discourage adults from using child playground equipment.

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason..

When I was in HS I lost all my friends because I used to dance to the stereo in the lunchroom... (why it was ok for the Seniors to have a stereo on and dance to it and not myself.. I cannot fathom). They literally sat me down en masse and said they no longer wanted to be my friends because I looked like I was "on drugs"...

so.. yeah.. I am a freaky woman with lots of pent up energy.

Wow, what a bunch of boring losers your old friends sound. Probably a good thing you were detached from their company. :yes:

sarahsweets
02-28-12, 12:47 PM
Not dignified to go running across a field? Why wouldn't it be? I'm mad enough to do it just because. And I'll even do silly things while I'm at it :D

But seriously, I use parkour to manage my energy levels. They've been out of control the last few weeks as I've not had time to train :(

I would REALLY love to know how to harness my hyperactivity and all the other goodies we get, but beyond being able to force myself past the boundaries of exhaustion, I've not had much luck in recent years.

Going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has ideas :D I'll post some as I get them, to be sure.

I think because by definition adhd is measured by impairment then hyperactivity would have to have a negative impact on your life right? If you want to be hyperactive then maybe its not a symptom of your adhd?

TheChemicals
02-28-12, 06:13 PM
I love my hyperactivity because i have internalized it most of my life to pretend i was normal. Now it just doesnt matter.

I can trigger my hyperactiveness when im around the right energy of people/person. They have to be similar to me, its almost like an empathic link. Another thing that helps me trigger it is when something positive happens and i use that momentum.

For example: today i was at a training course and the teacher was asking for volunteers to do a mock trial. Nobody wanted to participate so i ended up volunteering. I did a good job and told a joke that had everyone rolling, and from then on...my hyperactiveness was on 100%.

The only problem is that an hour later i got home and passed out for an hour, i was exhausted. Drunk with hyperness and positive energy. Regulation of emotions and energy is just too wild an unpedictable for us. When i was younger i wouldnt pass out like i did today, but instead would kinda shut down and be very impersonal. Exhaustion....

plank80
02-28-12, 06:40 PM
Same as above, I try keep my hyperactivity to myself but I'm really fidgetty and restless all the time. I feel like I'm trapped and about to burst out of my skin sometimes. I don't find it useful at all.

As I've got older I let it out more, though I can't see why you would want to bring it on, it does my head in. I wreck myself excercise all the time cos I can't stop and go too fast and hard. Talking too fast and interrupting people annoys me as well.

For me there is nothing I can do to bring myself down, I just have to ride it out. Right now I want to go to bed but I can't, my legs bouncing, minds going million miles a second and it's gonna take about 4 hours to get to sleep, why would you want to bring that on? It's not good any time of the day.

spunkysmum
02-28-12, 07:41 PM
I don't really have hyperactivity as I have always been pretty calm, but I find when I turn music on I literally can't sit still. I have to clean or cook or do something other than surf the internet.

Good thinking. Music flips a switch in me as well especially if I have headphones on.

TheChemicals
02-28-12, 10:11 PM
My doctor tells me adhd people who arent hyper sometimes are. He said our bodies adapt instinctevly and we tend to become calm for the sake of not looking crazy all the time and getting into trouble. He said thats when anxiety appears. When you internalize or bottle up that chaos. I would guess depression would come soon after enough anxiety. Its a downward spiral.

Sandy4957
02-29-12, 01:10 AM
For years and years (decades) I "triggered" my "hyperactivity" (really a hypomania) by staying up all night. The adrenaline that your body produces to keep you up is a very effective type of stimulant medication.

That is how I wrote literally every single paper, memorandum, brief, you name it, from age 6 to age 44 or so. It was a very predictable method, but use it judiciously because it takes a toll. The problem is that merely getting a small amount of sleep doesn't make it work. You have to stay up ALL NIGHT, and the adrenaline will kick in around 3:00 or 4:00 am. Then, to make use of that adrenaline, you have to work until late in the day.

If you're driving or operating machinery, or a doctor, or whatever, this won't work because the impairments to your reaction timing, etc. are such that your performance won't improve. But if you're merely making legal arguments on multi-million dollar files, this method works like a charm. :D

chewy
03-23-12, 04:41 PM
For years and years (decades) I "triggered" my "hyperactivity" (really a hypomania) by staying up all night. The adrenaline that your body produces to keep you up is a very effective type of stimulant medication...

This has also worked for me before.. also for some reason I tend to be more "awake" on the afternoon and night than during the day.

For me what gives me the "drive" is probably the adrenaline from having a deadline coming to an end, like I did most of my school years, combined to the adrenaline from staying awake until next morning. The next day obviously I get the super "low" of energy side effect lol, and I end up mentally drained, but with the work done. Afterwards I usually "promise" to myself that I will not do it again, and that I will start planning ahead next time, :giggle: ... which I hardly ever do 100%.

Music seems to also work for me, but it does not always help because listening to music could help me reload my energy or it could completely distract me from what I was doing. :lol:

GQK III
04-03-12, 01:07 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The key to exciting the prefrontal cortex is stimulation, be it intellectual stimulation, music, chemical, or whatever turns you on. You have to have stimulation. Myself? I like a challenge or doing something I really get into. Unfortunately, I can never get that to transfer to other, mundane tasks.

tudorose
04-03-12, 05:33 PM
lollies. Before dx the boss gave us lollies to get through a busy day when 4 staff called in sick (bank tellers). I was so hyper I can barely remember what happened and the customers were talking about it for weeks.

Rebelyell
04-03-12, 09:22 PM
Lollies?asin lollypops? I cn get amped w lots of jolt/mt dew,sugar chocolate candy or all 3 and put some rock music on like kid rock or ac/dc and I will be rocking out over the top all nite an day.Ive had people ask me if I was on drugs or cocaine because i was so up and amped.

tudorose
04-04-12, 02:38 AM
Lollies?asin lollypops?

As in stuff like jelly snakes etc..

Shevey
04-13-12, 10:02 AM

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason.

You don't sound freaky, you sound like hella fun. Anyway, I get to swing now and then because my son insists that I do so. See, you just have to borrow someone's kid and go swinging. :lol:

Also, I have a long-time friend who runs across fields all the time, but even more often we can find her chasing ducks by the lake.

Flory
04-13-12, 10:05 AM
i believe in letting the H out as much as possible, im quite unusual in that i still exhibit a lot of H into adulthood...i've learnt not to fight it...sometimes....its actually pretty awesome :o

the more i try and suppress it or contain myself, the mor restless and miserable i get

Tylerlee17
04-16-12, 05:58 PM
Music, getting enthusiastic about the task or what you have to look forward to after said task is over, or bringing a friend ( or talking to on the phone ) if possible. I still haven't found a good way to motivate myself to keep really organized or clean :/

plank80
04-16-12, 07:43 PM
i believe in letting the H out as much as possible, im quite unusual in that i still exhibit a lot of H into adulthood...i've learnt not to fight it...sometimes....its actually pretty awesome :o

the more i try and suppress it or contain myself, the mor restless and miserable i get

I feel terrible as well the more I suppress it I used to get a lot of knots in my shoulder and neck muscles from tension it felt like I was physically holding myself down all the time but now I don't care as much and just let it out. I think I even move in my sleep I can never sit still without fidgetting. I would love to be able to relax but thats next to impossible without drink or drugs.

Flory
04-16-12, 07:46 PM
hell yes plank !!! you know you've got to just roll with it sometimes...i tend to kick and fidget in my sleep ....my boyfriend loves me :D especially when he is trying to watch a movie and i just start play fights because i can't take sitting still anymore ;D

Rebelyell
04-16-12, 08:38 PM
Most of the time when I let it all hang out and Rip it up people either shake there heads like ohgod hes at it again or I just get in trouble and make and feel like a world class @ss and get laughed at

Flory
04-16-12, 08:52 PM
rebel you are my kind of person...f all these other people they are just uncomfortable because they don't know a lot of the time how to deal when people free it up..often because they don't know how to do it themselves...

Rebelyell
04-16-12, 08:59 PM
People call me repressed and anal retentive and I have issues?! holy *&&() falls over laughing.

Flory
04-16-12, 09:01 PM
lol what is anal retentive >.<

Rebelyell
04-16-12, 09:03 PM
uptight.As I get older I really dont give a crap like I use to.theyll get over it and if not pffftt too baaadd:D

Flory
04-16-12, 09:06 PM
hell yess rebel :D keep up that naughtiness...its freeing...i hate holding in the hypers...its physically uncomfortable...almost verges on tic like at times...

Rebelyell
04-16-12, 09:15 PM
Last weekend I was in bar w cuzin and his friend and gf and ac/dccomes on ,he was talking about how my cousin an him were on a hiway to hell for awhile many many years ago,we were both singing highway to hell and I replied if this is the highway to hell Im having way more fun this way.He said he like how I think:D YESSHHH.Yeah I was bar hopping boozing it up and using it up and suprise suprise I even got up for church For Easter .:)

Flory
04-17-12, 09:52 AM
Last weekend I was in bar w cuzin and his friend and gf and ac/dccomes on ,he was talking about how my cousin an him were on a hiway to hell for awhile many many years ago,we were both singing highway to hell and I replied if this is the highway to hell Im having way more fun this way.He said he like how I think:D YESSHHH.Yeah I was bar hopping boozing it up and using it up and suprise suprise I even got up for church For Easter .:)

:cool: rebel..you are living the good life :D

pechemignonne
04-17-12, 11:03 AM
People with ADHD aren't actually any more active than other people, they just can't control their activity levels.

So, having ADHD means that you can't control or "channel" or "turn on/off" your hyperactivity.

ana futura
04-21-12, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is because of my hyperactivity or just my own endurance- but once I find the motivation to get going I can keep going all day, until I crash from exhaustion. Once I get off my lazy butt and take my bike out for a ride, I can ride all day. The problem is finding the motivation to get going.

I also can't sit still on vacation- I have to be doing something constantly, which is awesome because I get to see a lot more of a place than other people do.

Medication seems to be changing this, which I'm not very happy about. But I also am able to channel more of that energy into things I should be doing but ignored before.