View Full Version : Mega Noise Sensitivity

OntheMove1952
05-22-11, 08:35 PM
I have finally found others with my same issue! Question for you all. I have had zero tolerance for noise my entire life. I have spent the last two weeks "testing" out a new relationship. Big disaster!!

How do you get around, LOUD TV (I actually cringe from it, and my anxiety goes berserk). Coffee slurping, loud eating, constant talking, and God forbid snoring have been a 2 week disaster. Aside from stress and anxiety, how the heck do you overcome something like this?

I did not realize how comfortable I am living alone....is this the only way? I totally need to be in control of my own environment...any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Scooter77
05-23-11, 12:32 PM
Me too and I havent found an easy answer.
I don't eat at the table with the family because I can't stand the sound of them chewing.
I turn the tv on low to drown out other noise.
I always take an ipod with me so I can listen to music.
And I use earplugs when I'm feeling particularly sensitive.

And I know it's me, I'm hypersensitive to noise it's NOT that my family are super-noisy, so I try not to take my problem out on them.

Lunacie
05-23-11, 12:42 PM
I think when it's begun at an early age, there are therapies that can help decrease the sensitivity, or increase the ability to cope with it. I don't expect much to change for me as I'm 60 and these things have bothered me my entire life. (Along with bright and/or flashing lights, many scents and odors, and the feeling of fabric or sheets or shoes or socks against my skin.)

rrenykinz
09-08-11, 09:43 AM
I just accidentally found this site and I too suffer from extreme noise sensitivity. My daughter told me on the Today show in Chicago they actually have a name for this and it is a disease. Now she cannot find the name of it. I will post what I find. but I too wear earplugs at the dinner table. Cannot even stand someone packing their lunch if the paper rattles. Very frustrating and Have to control my environment alot

Lunacie
09-08-11, 01:39 PM
I just accidentally found this site and I too suffer from extreme noise sensitivity. My daughter told me on the Today show in Chicago they actually have a name for this and it is a disease. Now she cannot find the name of it. I will post what I find. but I too wear earplugs at the dinner table. Cannot even stand someone packing their lunch if the paper rattles. Very frustrating and Have to control my environment alot

I expect you mean the name Hyperacusis. I read a lot about it before I
discovered the broader inclusion of Sensory Processing Disorder. I'm also
very sensitive to light, to smells, to touch (one of the people who hates
tags in clothing), have trouble with prioception (the sense of where I am
in relation to my environment and balance), and even taste (tend to eat
the same things over and over).

littlefidget
09-13-11, 07:41 AM
I'm really sensitive to some noises. I think it's more of a noise anxiety issue rather than a physical reason for my sensitivity.

There are quite a few noises that drive me crazy but by far the worst ones are the sound of snoring and my cat grooming herself. These are made even worse because it's often at night time and I have enough trouble sleeping as it is. When I hear these noises I have very aggressive/violent intruding thoughts, I feel pure rage. I just have to get out of the room :mad: :(