View Full Version : Feeling NOTHING...??

jennsation
05-24-11, 12:26 AM
I am on day 3 of Focalin (was taken off of Vyvanse after two weeks due to too many negative side effects). I am to take 5 mg for a few days and then up it to 10 mg in the morning, unless I feel like 5 is enough but it's wearing off too soon...then I should take 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.

Anywho...I feel absolutely NOTHING from 5mg Focalin. It's like I haven't taken anything. No side effects, positive OR negative.

Is that strange? (It seems strange to me...)

No increased sense of focus that I've noticed. (Although I did get a lot done Saturday morning...but I think that was more will power than meds...) None of the negative side effects...lack of appetite, headaches, nausea. Is it because the dose is low?

I'm curious to see what it's like at 10mg...if it makes a difference. Anyone else on Focalin (or any other stimulant for that matter) experience a complete lack of ANYTHING?

happierin09
05-24-11, 06:48 AM
My guess would be that it's because of it being such a low dose. Are you on the XR or IR? If it's XR, that is basically two 2.5 mg IR doses. I think that the max recommended adult dose of XR is 40 mg/day. I started at 10, was on that for a month, then upped to 20, and later this week will go up to 30, plus a 10 mg IR boost in the afternoon if I need it, which I generally do on work days, weekends not as much. One thing I noticed changing from Vyvanse to Focalin was that on Vyvanse I was jittery, like I'd had too much caffeine or something, but with Focalin I don't have that. I would, I guess, describe it as just an overall calm with the Focalin. I can for sure tell when I don't take it, as my thoughts are racing and trying to get a clear sentence out is incredibly difficult. I guess you can try the 10 mg and see if that helps any better or if you feel any different with that, and if not, talk to your doctor. Good luck!

jennsation
05-24-11, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, Amy!

I am on Focalin XR.

I took 10 mg this morning...so we'll see if that helps. (I wasn't going to until tomorrow but I made the decision to up the dose early since it's truly not doing anything at all...that I can tell.)

I didn't realize how the XR worked...so I suppose 5mg of XR is really pretty low.

Hopefully 10mg makes a positive difference!

Thanks again for the input! :)

sarahsweets
05-24-11, 10:55 AM
Another thing to consider is the type cal. Ritilin and its derivitives don't always work for people. Some people need just amphetamine or the 4 amphetamine 'salts' in adderall

jennsation
05-24-11, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, Sarah! I'm still doing a lot of reading on different "types" of medicine. (Such as amphetamine vs. methylpenidate, for example). Lots to try to wrap my mind around!

I think if I continue over the next couple of days to notice NOTHING, I will call my doc on Thursday (one week from my appt) and ask if he wants to see me earlier, or if he wants me to wait it out for two weeks. (The nurse told me last time, that I should've have "endured" the Vyvanse for 2 full weeks with all the negatives I experienced with it, and to call next time if necessary...so I will try that.)

Thanks again. :)

jennsation
05-27-11, 01:30 PM
UPDATE:

The Focalin is still not doing anything for me. My boyfriend, twice now, has said it makes me extremely chatty, to the point of being annoying, but he's grasping for anything to get me off the meds because he's not..."supportive" (I guess) of the diagnosis. (Although he's trying to be...and both times he's said this it was when he had just woken up. He is NOT a morning person so I think the issue is more on his end...not being able to listen more than me talking too much.)

I asked two people at work if I'm talking any more than usual (one knows about the meds, one does not) and they both said "No". (I'm usually pretty chatty anyway, in a situation where I'm comfortable, so I honestly believe my guy is just looking for an excuse to get me to shut up...LOL!)

ANYWAY...I was going to call my doc yesterday and didn't have time (work was crazy...yuck.) I called today but the office is closed, SO, I guess I will just wait until my appointment next Thursday...it's only a few extra days.

Curious to see what his (the doctor's) thoughts are. I'm hoping WHATEVER we decide to try next proves to be "the one"...this trial and error process is frustrating.

happierin09
05-29-11, 10:27 AM
I totally get the trial and error frustration. There are certainly days I wonder if this is working for me. I'm on 30 mg XR in the morning now, and honestly, I don't notice any difference from the 20 mg, so we'll see how that goes. I'm still on 10 mg IR in the afternoon, as needed though. I rarely take the IR dose on my weekends (Friday and Saturday), in part because I take the XR dose later than on my work days. I do take the XR every day, because I have noticed a difference on the days I haven't taken anything, so I guess that means it's working on some level.

It's so hard to judge sometimes. My husband is gone a LOT, so it's hard for him to get a real reading on how I'm doing I think, but he did say prior to my last visit with my pdoc that whatever I'm on now seems to be better than before, which would have been the Vyvanse and Wellbutrin combo, and way, way better than the Wellbutrin alone or Wellbutrin and Strattera combo. Wellbutrin, according to him, made me not so much zombie like, but just like I was here, but not fully here, adding the Strattera not only made me sick, it made me shut down even more to the point I wasn't worth squat around the house, had no energy, always sleepy. When I switched to Vyvanse from Strattera, I was definitely more awake, but jittery and a little more hyper. I think the Vyvanse actually increased my impulsiveness a bit too.

I think I'm more engaged now, especially with my family, but as I've said before, my focus is still all over the place, and that bothers me. I have also noticed it's harder for me to sit down and read a book, where in the past I hyperfocus on reading to the exclusion of everything else. I've been reading the same 4 books now for weeks, and that's so very rare for me, and really quite frustrating too. I've been medicated in one form or another for the past 2 years, so there are definitely days I consider stopping all meds and seeing where I'm at without anything. Maybe one of these days...

Anyway, good luck and I hope you're able to find what works for you!

BalanceisKey
05-29-11, 11:29 PM
hey this is my first month of focalin. Lets see if i can help....ive used vyvanse, adderal, concerta and this.

The thing with this ive noticed is if your dose is to high it just makes you tired and unfocused or a feeling like you took nothing like your describing. so be careful in assuming that your dose is to low because it might also be to high.

But once i got the dose right i would say this feels similiar to vyvanse without the jitters..... it doesn't match adderall's kick but then again what does? And concerta is just plain garbage lol Plus this is very mild when it comes to side effects, it doesnt kill my appetite or make me crash hard when it wears off.

All in all its a decent Med but you will probably need 2 XR's a day if you need all day coverage.

happierin09
05-30-11, 11:51 AM
All I really felt with the Vyvanse was jittery, but awake, and some pounding of my heart. I didn't have any crash at all with it, where with the Focalin I have a crash of sorts in that I just get so sleepy about 1-2 pm every day during my work week, having usually taken the XR dose at around 5:30 am, so I usually take the IR at around 1 pm and that seems to be enough to get me through the rest of the day, though I'm pretty beat in the evenings and don't accomplish much.

I hope to not have to go to 2 XRs a day. I may just start taking the XR right away when I get up rather than waiting a couple of hours, because I usually roll right out of bed and within 10 minutes am firing up my computer for work, and by 5:30 I'm already behind on work and really needing to buckle down, but I hate to take it at 3:30 when I get up, because then I likely will need to go with 2 XRs or more IR doses or something to get through the rest of the day, and I really hate that I'm taking as much as I am. I keep trying to tell myself it's no different than not being able to get out of bed without my glasses or contacts or face serious bodily harm, but I haven't quite reached that point yet.

Today seems to be one of those days that my focus is all over the place. Of course my whole family is home, and I'm attempting to work, but they are doing all this other stuff and it's distracting. I don't have the option of closing the door, which kind of sucks, but also can help me focus because I always have all this guilt if one of them pops in and I'm on here or another site instead of working, because that just drags out my work day even more. Oh to be independently wealthy so I wouldn't have to work and then it wouldn't matter :D