View Full Version : Overeating

Luche91
05-25-11, 10:59 AM
I've always had a problem with overeating, every time I've complained to my doctor or my mom they just brush it off as "oh she'll be fine". It's really frustrating because I'm a perfectionist and I used to be really thin and happy, but now I'm chubby and miserable. I've gained 40 lbs over the years and I can't seem to get anyone to listen. I've been on stimulants since I was about 3 and they help a little but then they just wear off and I'm back to binging. I've tried exercise but I can't stick to it, being that I live in a town where it's not safe to walk around even in the day time and nobody, not even my doctor really knows anything about adhd. I've also just recently started taking an antidepressant called Bupropion and since I've started taking it, I've been immune to adderall. I'm on 30 mg of adderall now, would it help if took 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night?

BR549
05-25-11, 06:14 PM
Have you talked to your doctor about your binge eating? Is that why you are on Wellbutrin? I'm not sure about the effects of Wellbutrin and Adderall. I've read some places that they aren't supposed to be taken together and others that there isn't a problem doing that.

Maybe check in over at the Wellbutrin section and see if anyone there has had issues with Wellbutrin and Adderall??

MMetelli13
07-20-11, 01:53 AM
I've always had a problem with overeating, every time I've complained to my doctor or my mom they just brush it off as "oh she'll be fine". It's really frustrating because I'm a perfectionist and I used to be really thin and happy, but now I'm chubby and miserable. I've gained 40 lbs over the years and I can't seem to get anyone to listen. I've been on stimulants since I was about 3 and they help a little but then they just wear off and I'm back to binging. I've tried exercise but I can't stick to it, being that I live in a town where it's not safe to walk around even in the day time and nobody, not even my doctor really knows anything about adhd. I've also just recently started taking an antidepressant called Bupropion and since I've started taking it, I've been immune to adderall. I'm on 30 mg of adderall now, would it help if took 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night?

If you're having a medicinal mishap; you should get that changed A.S.A.P. Secondly, having a problem sticking to a regimen isn't restricted to ADHD/ADD; but everybody has that problem. My advice would be trying to join a gym and work from there. I assure you; bodybuilders (at least at my gym) are some of the most friendliest people I've ever met; and offered me tips on how to improve my form or technique!

Another thing to try I suggested on another thread: Try not eating for 10 minutes after a meal, and listen to your stomach. If it's full (and you'll really know it is, depression or not), then mentally force yourself to stop eating. Some of dieting is really a mental thing.

Food tips I have learned and lived by:

Skim milk doesn't really taste that different from the 2% lowfat brand.
Veggies are always welcome before 5:00 P.M. After that, it's likely to be carbs.
Protein always wins whenever I train; before or after.
Turkey Breast is always helpful.
Limit grains as much as humanly possible.
Sugars and junk have to go. An occasional treat is unavoidable, but as long as you don't fall off the deep end, you're good.
Fruits help; but they too have to be limited after a certain time. I don't remember which are the best fruits for weight training and dieting; but I was told to avoid starchy fruits.
If you can afford it (this may be more bodybuilding), seafood is a great opportunity as well.
Beer is to be done very lightly ala special occasion. Light research has led me to believe in the Budweiser, which I am grateful for!
Calorie counting is somewhat pointless. When you feel ashamed at yourself from eating too much; that's when you know you're over-eating!

Personally, I only wish I knew how to really cook; but I'm bad at that regardless of ADHD or not.

Rbcooley
07-22-11, 05:56 PM
I don't feel that people have really answered your question. Yes, i would suggest breaking your adderall in half and taking the first half when you FIRST wake up. It takes about 20 mins to kick in, but it'll help start your day right. I find that if I kick start my day with adderall, my food intake stays minimal throughout the morning and day and by the evening i'm proud of the fact i haven't ruined my day by binge eating. I would recommend taking the second half in the late afternoon (2-3 pm) so it keeps your hunger at bay and is really in your system around dinner time, so you don't overeat at dinner. Maybe drink some wine in the evening to help slow down your brain enough to get in a sleepy state.
I find that when i'm not taking adderall I binge-eat, and in turn it ups my depression because I am not proud of my eating lifestyle...plus i'm usually delving into junk food if i'm really binging and that just makes me gain weight quickly...which only fuels my depression over my self inflicted situation...and its a bad cycle.
Taking adderall first thing in the morning and afternoon/evening helps me keep the course I want, and in turn I am deterred from binge eating. Also, try to exercise when your adderall is in your system, you'll be more motivated while you work out (Just be sure to bring a big water bottle because you will be THIRSTY!). The good news is that by drinking all that water, your body will get rid of your water weight and you'll feel really good for the remainder of the day. The more of a pattern you can make in your week, the easier it is to keep to. Also, as you stay motivated by the adderall, your body weight will decrease and you'll feel excited about it and probably want to keep going to the gym! If you get burnt out on gym time, try mixing it up and doing DVD at home workouts- and try to bring a friend to do it with you to keep you motivated!
The only downside I can comment on is when you stop taking the adderall, its harder to stay the course and fall back into binge eating. What I offer is a way to control your binge eating with the medication, but i'm not helping you solve the mental problem in it of itself. Hope this helps regardless, and good luck!! Love your body and know you have potential to get back to where you want!!

David20
08-15-11, 02:20 AM
I was eating much like beef and chicken keeping in mind to avail best protein sources and it will help to get body shape attractive,But it was just not good for me to eat any more due to digestive problem.Now I am using whey protein and I will suggest to eat with moderate.
Here is really some valuable content to learn and follow.

quirkyscrawler
12-23-11, 03:38 AM
I take both Wellbutrin and Adderall...It was really terrible earlier in the year when I was put on Seroquel (I had to go off of Adderall for a while because I had a manic episode)...For someone who has issues with overeating, that really did not help because Seroquel made me crave pastries (sugar/carbs) at 10 at night! I felt like the pdocs didn't really care that I had gained a bunch of weight...I'm a little disappointed knowing that 'Eating Disorder NOS' was one of my diagnoses, but when I went through my outpatient treatment program, there weren't very many tools offered for dealing with that (in fact, I'd eat 2 PopTarts everyday because there was a vending machine there!). I said that Adderall had helped me to manage my overeating on top of the attention issues, and the pdoc said that that was "not an appropriate use" of the medication...One way it helped though was to block out the obsessive thoughts about food and focus on other things! That really helped a lot!

tudorose
12-30-11, 07:48 AM
I've recently been seeing a naturopath and he said my body is insulin resistant so I'm not getting the energy that my body is craving out of the food I eat. Instead because the cells have become resistant to insulin the food I eat is not being absorbed but being stored as fat around my stomach. I have to cut back on the carbs to make this better. Maybe give that a try.

pechemignonne
12-30-11, 09:49 AM
Can something like that be confirmed by an endocrinologist?

Hormone issues can effect the appetite and sudden weight gain or loss can be a symptom of a endocrine problem, but I would think that this would show up on blood tests... In fact I think there's a test where you fast and then they give you orange juice and test your blood sugar levels. Something like that, I'm not a doctor.

Canuck223
12-30-11, 10:40 PM
Can something like that be confirmed by an endocrinologist?

Hormone issues can effect the appetite and sudden weight gain or loss can be a symptom of a endocrine problem, but I would think that this would show up on blood tests... In fact I think there's a test where you fast and then they give you orange juice and test your blood sugar levels. Something like that, I'm not a doctor.

I've recently been seeing a naturopath and he said my body is insulin resistant so I'm not getting the energy that my body is craving out of the food I eat. Instead because the cells have become resistant to insulin the food I eat is not being absorbed but being stored as fat around my stomach. I have to cut back on the carbs to make this better. Maybe give that a try.

Human beings didn't get to the top of the food chain by being fragile creatures. We've evolved to a point that we are harder to starve than cockroaches or lice.

The problem is our diets do not match our geneticly adapted metabolisms.

Our bodies essentially run on sugars. Some we consume as refined sugars or in naturally sweet foods. Some we consume as carbs and quickly convert into sugars. Others we consume as proteins and slowly convert into sugars.

The problem (or advantage) is that our bodies are darn good at storing up any sugars we can't immediately use as fats. Once converted into fats, the body seems bound and determined not to convert them back into sugars unless there's no other option.

The only way to get your body to use up that fat is to trick it. You need to make an effort to reduce your intake of sugars and carbs. Increase your intake of lean protein. Keep your fat intake as light as possible.

15 months ago I took the pledge. I cut Coke and fast food out of my diet. I tried to stick to a 2000 calorie diet.

At the same time, due to a plumbing issue in our home, I started collecting grease from browning hamburger or frying bacon, etc instead of flushing it down the drain. Since my parents use it to light wet firewood, I store it in 5 lb peanut butter jars.

In a perverse way, they have become my totem. They are a physical representation of the fat I've shed. I've lost 18 peanut butter jars so far.:D

FatimaGabrielle
08-03-12, 05:29 PM

Heyy there. I had the same problems as you for awhile. Ever since I was in like 6th grade, but I was always thin and hyperactive. When I got to highschool it got extremely worse. I think it is a method of either addiction, or coping with stress levels. When I am super stressed I eat alot, or just completely overwhelmed i will overeat. But honestly I have never taken any meds and I have gotten better. I don't know about meds helping with stuff like this, but I take Herbalife products so i have a more structured way of eating and get the necessary nutrients for my brain and emotional balance, and it has helped me out tremendously :) I hardly ever overeat. Once in a blue moon I will eat a little more than usual, but that is about it. I do not crave food, and when we go out to eat I just subconsiously want less food. The Herbalife programs give you meal replacements with ALL of the nutrients and protein you need to function at your best. You replace 1-3 meals a day (depending if you want to lose or maintain your weight) with the protein shake and take your vitamins which activate your cells from within so your brain can function at its best as well. I have been taking their products for over a month and have lost weight, feel great, stopped overeating, and look and feel more beautiful. If you want I could even help you get discounts on their stuff. B y the way, their programs give you NATURAL energy so you are hyped all day and want to move and experience life. Sounds cheesy but hey that's what worked for my overeating and unstable emotional levels. MSG ME .

irishgirl49
08-22-12, 08:36 PM
I understand where you are coming from. I took adderall for the better part of the year without any other medication, and I got used to the feeling it gave me.

I was supposed to be on Celexa the entire time, but I was opposed to antidepressants. I tried starting it when I was taking adderall regularly, and it killed the effect of the adderall so I stopped taking it.

Finally, this summer I realized that something needed to be done, because I was hitting a point where my depression/anxiety could be considered moderate (used to be mild). I stopped taking adderall for three weeks while starting Celexa. Taking that break has made it such that I can feel the affects of the Adderall with the Celexa.

Now, how this relates back to the original post.. I have mild binge eating disorder. I have since high school, and can get obsessive tendencies. Adderall was OK for this, as I would eat less throughout the day and my stomach definitely shrunk. But I would still binge once the affects of it wore off.

I went on Celexa (unhappily) expecting it to make me gain weight, as SSRIs are said to do. And I didn't. I lost 10 pounds in the first month, which brought me to the lowest weight I have been in 4 years. And it did it healthily, as I simply would stop eating when I was full and really couldn't make myself eat any more.

It may be worth going off the Adderall for a little bit and starting an antidepressant, then re-adding the Adderall. It has worked amazingly for me :)

yellowflowers
09-09-12, 09:51 AM
having a problem sticking to a regimen isn't restricted to ADHD/ADD; but everybody has that problem. My advice would be trying to join a gym and work from there.

I guess I hear this advice you've given, and it is good advice, but its also frustrates me. Because it sounds like from the poster that ppl are already minimising the difficulty she has with food - and I am very very sure she has thought of joining a gym. It is good advice, but when I read the post (my could be wrong) it sounds like this is really distressing, and a bit more than 'not sticking to a healthy diet'.

I guess its my stuff I'm reacting to hear too, the years of people saying to me "why don't you just eat a little bit more", "why don't you just eat 3 meals a day" etc etc. Just do it. Did they think this had not occurred to me? Its a bit more complicated than that, or else pple would have already fixed it....

Sorry if this comes accross as hostile, my don't mean it to. And maybe the poster is as you suggest, someone struggling to keep in a regiem, but it doesn't sound like it to me

Fuzzy12
09-09-12, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry that your doctor and mother aren't more supportive. I guess, the problem with overeating is like ADHD: Since many people frequently suffer from the symptoms of ADHD (or overeat), they don't understand when it happens to such a huge extent that it becomes a problem or disabling.

Do you know why you over eat? And do you overeat or do you binge eat? For me, there is a big difference between the two. I do them both, but the intent differs. Overeating is a common human weakness, usually driven by greed or taste. Overeating to me means eating more than you know you should because you want to eat more, since it tastes good or just out of habit.

When I binge eat, I don't do it for the sake of taste or hunger. I eat huge amounts of food knowingly, don't really care if it's tasty or not and I don't stop even when eating becomes painful or sickening. I force myself to eat with the intention of taking in as many calories as possible.

For me binge eating, is like turning off a switch. Starting a binge signals the end of trying to be productive, healthy, sane and dealing with my problems. It's like giving myself the rest of the day off or like going on holiday (even if it's a very unpleasant, destructive holiday). I also binge when I'm unhappy and can't deal with my emotions. It's holiday from thinking about the causes of my unhappiness as well. An escape, really.

So, why do you overeat? There are so many reasons, from medical & psychological to bad habits or nutritional ignorance. I think, once you know what is making you overeat you can start tackling the problem.

Regarding exercise, I've found that it's impossible for me to keep up a regular exercise routine unless I enjoy what I'm doing. I haven't found anything yet, that is easy and fun enough to do regularly so I don't.