View Full Version : Finding God and a Bi-polar diagnoses...

Shanonanon
05-26-11, 05:26 PM
My husband spent a tour in Iraq. He was slowly finding himself. He started reading the bible and going to church. He felt so good and focused and excited about life. He had a really good work-out routine and his goal was to be become more flexible when stretching so he could touch his toes. (I ll get back to this in a moment) He swears up and down that he was seeing signs, and he took pictures of every single one. I've seen them and sure enough you can see Jesus's face. But one day in particular was his eye-opener. He was on guard duty and a female marine whom he had never met, she was really upset about her boyfriend that was cheating (which happens to most on tour), anyways he started to tell her how he was "the guy" she was mad at? Meaning he has cheated on his girlfriend. And I guess for him seeing how upset she was helped him see it from a different perspective. So something clicked. And at the very moment he bent down to try to touch his toes and WOW! he was able to. From that moment on he says he has been a totally different person. Then the next day at church he was simply trying to re-joice and he asked to join the choir. Well some officials saw this and determined he was displaying symptoms of Bi-polar...He was sent to a phsyc ward where he was denying being bi-polar refused medication. None the less he was medically discharged against his will after half way to retirement.

So he decided to move to Reno, NV. He was instantly noticed by people. They would come up to him and tell him he was emitting beautifull light. Let's just say we got deep in Reno. Best time of my life.

Then now, so we move to houston, and someone came up to him and told him god told them talk to him?? This happened the other day. So we attended church. Im not sure what to think of it. I don't want to push him.

I am blown away by his story, and the sad thing is he keeps it all in. His parents are not accepting of his experiences in Iraq. They are so closed-minded it make me mad.

I want that enlightenment we felt and were trying to find in Reno. When we lived there it was bliss.

Trooper Keith
05-26-11, 05:48 PM
So if I catch the gist here right, your husband is suffering of bipolar disorder which includes psychotic features and hyper-religiosity?

Shanonanon
05-26-11, 05:54 PM
I guess. But it's hard to see his symptoms, besides that story. But what I guess I was trying to get at is the military was looking at it as being bi-polar and in the civilian life it's finding God and becoming a better person.

Bluerose
05-27-11, 08:13 AM
I experienced something similar. It’s too long a story to go into. I’m not a religious person but my step father who is catholic recommended that I speak to his priest. I did and the priest wasn’t the least bit surprised. He told me that he knew of lots of people who have these experiences. I continued to speak with him on and off for a month and found it very helpful. A lot was said but the gist of it was for me to continue to have ‘good thoughts’ about people. Which I did, and I saw their reaction. It was like a kind of spiritual wakening. I can also relate to how you feel about the military’s treatment of your husband. It doesn’t help us much trying to explain or describe our experience if we are or others think we are also dealing with some personal or mental issues. My experience may have been connected to my issues but the feeling, the awakening, has never left me.

My thoughts are to go with it so long as it is experienced as helpful and pleasant. If your husband’s mood changes for the bad then it would be important to take another look at the situation.