View Full Version : How to lose weight on adderall permanentely and healthy??

jordynnfaith
05-27-11, 12:02 AM
Hey, so I'm a 14 year old female, 5'2 and i weigh 115 pounds. I started the instant release adderall three weeks ago for adhd, 10 mg once a day the first week, then bumped up the second and now the current week, 30 mg (20 in the morning & 10 at noon) I just found out that adderall makes you lose weight, by supressing your appetite obviously and i have had those effects. Some days i'd go completely without eating, but i noticed that i wasnt able to concentrate as well as i did on the days i did eat. *Does eating have something to do with adderall's ability to make you concentrate? Oh and before i started adderall i was 121 pounds, but now being 115 i still dont look any different weight wise to how i looked before i was on the adderall? *Did i just lose water weight or something? But anyways, back to the subject, *How can i lose weight on adderall effectively and healthy? & so if i ever stop using adderall my weight wont go back up? I know i'd have to keep the same eating habits while on adderall and if i ever stop. Blaaahhh. it just made me so motivated and happy the first week & 1/2. Now i''ve kindof lost the motivation i had before..but that doesnt worry me much..Sorry for all the questions its just Google isnt the best source and well, my dr. isnt very understanding of my situation either. eh. HELPP MEE PLEEEASE. Thanks lovelys. (: P.s I wanna lose 20-30 pounds in 3 months so what would be the best way? thanks<3

meadd823
05-28-11, 01:37 AM
The suppression of appetite is just a temporary side effect for most - that will end gradually as their bodies adjust to the chemical changes caused by the meds. For the most part stimulants have been abandon or just used in extreme situations for a very short period of time because the appetite suppression is only temporary

Nifferka
05-28-11, 02:08 AM
Losing weight by not eating causes you to lose muscle, which ultimately lowers your metabolism and makes you gain weight again quickly as soon as you start eating again. It messes up the way your whole body works, and opens you uo to a whole host of problems. Not eating also give you really bad breath, so it's not exactly attractive.

But the appetite-suppression side-effect is real, even if it is temporary for many people. That's why it's so important to conscientiously eat well. Think nutrition-dense, not energy-dense. (To quote Alton Brown...)
P.s I wanna lose 20-30 pounds in 3 months so what would be the best way? thanks<3

Green smoothies are great, very healthy, very filling, and very effective.

Oh, and I sure hope you doctor approved the increase in your dosage. If not, you need to cut back now before you fall into the very serious and very dangerous life-wrecking nightmare that is stim abuse. Not to scare you or anything, but...BOO! Just don't go there.

meadd823
05-28-11, 03:03 AM
Adderall can be used as a means of being able to access the part of your brain responsible for planning as in using it for meal planning - This means being able to plan to eat healthy foods that are nutritionally beneficial yet low calorie instead of grabbing fattening fast food on impulse!

That is the only way I know adderall to actively help with weight loss in a healthy manner over the long term even after the appetite suppression wears off.

Oh and don;t forget aerobic exercise to keep muscle tone and metabolism up. Medication can be beneficial in helping us plan our days better as to have time set aside to take brisk walks and maybe attend yoga classes.