View Full Version : o antaacids really increase absorption of stimulants?

sarahsweets
06-03-11, 08:56 AM
I'm not familar with the science behind this but I wanted some peronal experiences. Will tums or other antacids increase absorption of stimulants. Ever since I had gastric bypass in 06' I have had to revamp how I take all medications. I have learned that I metabolize things differently and it seems like my adderall is only have as effective both in strength and duration. I've only been taking it for a month so I'm not sure if its a tolerance issue. I want to increase the way its absorbed. I don't take it with food or anything citrus? Is thius more of an urban legend sort of thing or is it true. Does anyone have any idea on how to keep your tolerance down. I already take magnesium. I am on 20mg ir 3x a day because the xr just didn't cut it. Thanks!

Ahh. Sweet dyslexia and sticky keys..we meet again

TheRoof
07-31-11, 04:21 PM
Old thread, but I thought it was interesting (Since I research the same)

Yes, a more alkaline environment would be better. I usually try to take my DEX on an empty stomach and eat two hours latter. Just so I get the best absorption. (Majority of my opinions are trial and error and a lot of research, it has what worked for me. So take my advice with a grain of salt)

Anytime I ate a huge breakfast and then took my stimulant probably did not make the absorption rate not AS potent, (What I've noticed is it took forever for it to kick in. Longer than usual)

Subjective Opinion--- (What I read)
My doctor told me people start going up on higher doses because "they feel" that the medication isn't working as well. Which may equate to a higher dose because they already started feeling "the effects" at a smaller dose but want to magnify the effect.
I've read a lot of articles that the "concentration" and "The alert" factor peaks in effect after 20MG of dosage from an amphetamine based medication. It has to do with food timing and when you take the medication. What "supposedly" happens after 20mg dosages (In total per day, ER/XR based) I guess you cross the territory where it may start treating OTHER symptoms as well. (i.e. depression, fatigue) -- IN which I suffer from major fatigue. So even thought the 15mg ER makes me focus. The fatigue is still there and has not gotten a bit better (Which may mean I would need a higher dose or maybe a new medication)

Even my doctor has said that an amphetamine based 20mg stimulant should signal your neuroreceptors to boost your Alertness and concentration. It should start peaking at 15-20mg Amph dosage. My doc said the reason why people end up taking a larger dosage is because of sometimes multiple variables with their health. It could be ADHD + Depression which may equate to a higher dose. Or ADHD + Fatigue may constitute a higher dose. Or certain metabolic problems in how the medication is metabolized.

So my answer? I am not sure but what I gather is that sometimes one medication isn't enough. Sometimes two different medications work much better because they have a synergistic effect.

sarahsweets
07-31-11, 04:54 PM
Thats very interesting. I've been doing better on the sandoz brand actually and I take 10mg ir 4x a day this is much more level.

Spacemaster
07-31-11, 07:06 PM
antacids actually decrease the absorption of many medicines, such as some antibiotics, thyroid pills, etc. It's always a good idea to not take meds of any kind within 2 hours of an antacid.

tired tired
05-04-17, 06:40 PM
Anti acids or alkinizing agents increase the absorption of amphetamines. Please read the medication guide.

Greyhound1
05-04-17, 07:13 PM
***Moderator Note***
Please be aware that potentiating stimulants with alkalinizing agents is not recommended with Adderall or other stimulant medications. Discussion encouraging or endorsing it's us is not allowed here because it's not recommended by the maker nor the FDA. Our med. guidelines prohibit it for everyone's safety.

Thanks,
Hound.

-Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (sodium bicarbonate, etc.) increase absorption of amphetamines. Co- administration of ADDERALLŽ and gastrointestinal alkalizing agents, such as antacids, should be avoided. Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase the concentration of the non-ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby decreasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents increase blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/011522s040lbl.pdf

Pilgrim
05-04-17, 08:48 PM
I just started taking antacids and it seems to help. Plus no reflux, or anxiety.

Pilgrim
05-04-17, 08:49 PM
Physical in the stomach I mean.

Little Missy
05-04-17, 08:53 PM
hmmm...I never knew that about thiazides. :eek:

Greyhound1
05-04-17, 10:02 PM
***Thread closed for staff review***