View Full Version : Which benzo is more popularly prescribed by docs/pdocs for GAD/Anxiety?

babidi
06-03-11, 04:21 PM
Klonopin or Xanax?

Abi
06-03-11, 11:15 PM
The former.

It's slow acting so gives you smooth coverage throughout the day/night.

Though there's now an XR formulation of Xanax available, so I suppose that would be ok too.

I have GAD and have been on Klonopin for ... 4+ years and it's definitely the best benzo for me.

tambourine-man
06-04-11, 02:00 PM
Klonopin is the all around favorite with doctors.

babidi
06-05-11, 11:03 AM
The former.

It's slow acting so gives you smooth coverage throughout the day/night.

Though there's now an XR formulation of Xanax available, so I suppose that would be ok too.

I have GAD and have been on Klonopin for ... 4+ years and it's definitely the best benzo for me.

What dose are you on?

Abi
06-06-11, 03:58 AM
1 mg, twice daily.

hollywood
06-07-11, 09:47 AM
isn't klonopin a drug where your body develops dependance? You mention it's used for generalized anxiety, I feel like I have more of a stress adhd factor going on thats coupled by ( boredom (x) job unsatisfaction) It's tough breaking the cycle. SSRi's are difficult with adhd , so are snri's . Any suggestions.

Abi
06-07-11, 09:51 AM
Yes hollywood, Klonopin is a chemically "addictive" substance, as are stimulants.

For those of us with moderate to severe chronic anxiety disorders, however, benzo's are pretty much the only things that work, and therefore we take them.

Macavity224
07-09-11, 04:18 PM
I know my dad is prescribed Xanax, but I believe his diagnosis isn't really a pervasive anxiety, but occasional anxiety attacks. This makes sense, seeing as Xanax is probably the most potent out of all the benzos, at least out of all the ones that I've tried.

buddy
07-09-11, 05:32 PM
I take Xanax for panic attacks & I agree with Macavity224 that it is the most potent benzo & it's also the most addicting.I started out taking 4mgs. daily & have weaned myself down to .5mg when I get a panic attack.It's not as good as Klonopin or Valium for GAD.Good luck!

StoicNate
07-09-11, 05:58 PM
Drink some alcoholic beverage. It helps and you don't need a script for it.

Macavity224
07-09-11, 07:36 PM
I take Xanax for panic attacks & I agree with Macavity224 that it is the most potent benzo & it's also the most addicting.I started out taking 4mgs. daily & have weaned myself down to .5mg when I get a panic attack.It's not as good as Klonopin or Valium for GAD.Good luck!

You were prescribed 4mg daily? That's pretty high