View Full Version : The Prom Dress. . .

Amtram
06-03-11, 09:08 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/[IMG]http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Amtram/Miscellaneous%20photoshops/2011-06-03SeniorProm013.jpghttp://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Amtram/Miscellaneous%20photoshops/2011-06-03SeniorProm013.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Amtram/Miscellaneous%20photoshops/2011-06-03SeniorProm004.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Amtram/Miscellaneous%20photoshops/2011-06-03SeniorProm044.jpg

Luvmybully
06-03-11, 09:22 PM
Gorgeous! LOVE the black lace! Did you make it?

salleh
06-03-11, 09:36 PM
Egad yes she made it ...and I am in awe,.......layering lace over what looks like satin ..no wonder it drove you nuts .....floaty hard to handle lace teamed with slithery satin ??????

could you make any harder on yourself ??!!! well done, and well fitted .....although how you fitted that bodice with the double layers ....whew ...just whew ! .....

and your daughter is very pretty .....did she do her hair to match ? or did you do the dress to go with the hair ????

I did also notice you have perfected one of my old tricks....getting a very full skirt without adding 40 elebenty inches of gathering at the waist ....and it looks like it will flair nicely when she dances ......I was a swing dancer, and the skirts had to swirl ....and that kind of design works the best ....( I put ruffles on all my skirts, for the weight made the skirt really move....but a ruffle would look really dumb on that dress !) ......

Oh and I also put pockets in all may skirts, huge deep [pockets in the side seams.....so when I was out dancing and shooting I had a place for the rolls of film ....

NIce work .....very nice work .....and thanks for remembering to post the photos of the dress!

Brob2
06-03-11, 09:47 PM
What a GORGEOUS young lady, with such a beautiful, honest, smile. Good genes there somewhere ;).

insight needed
06-03-11, 09:58 PM
Lovely dress and pretty daughter!

Luvmybully
06-03-11, 10:03 PM
salleh the best way to make a twirly skirt with no bulk is to make a circle skirt (I made dance costumes and prom dresses before the grandyungin came along).

I can't get pictures on a post, don't know why because I could before.

Anyways, I agree the black lace on the red is VERY beautiful! I LOVE different dresses.

My daughter wanted hers to be short. We used a scrap from a dance costume for the bodice and she HAD to have white underneath it instead of a monotone periwinkle. It was so simple but turned out really nice.

Lunacie
06-03-11, 10:04 PM
Wow!

Oooh!

Wow!

So pretty - and a matching vest on the date, very nice!

Love the hair too - my granddaughter just did something very similar with her hair.

Really, really nice job. :)

Amtram
06-04-11, 11:48 AM
Yep, made the dress pattern, made the dress, made the vest, made the tie. . .

The bodice and waist are separate pieces. Six for the top, seven for the waist. That was good for putting the lace onto the satin (baste one side, iron, baste another side, iron, repeat ad nauseam) but if I had known how many little changes daughter would have wanted, I would have made a single princess-line top.

The satin underskirt is a full circle, while the lace is just cut and gathered on the grain. Again, convincing DD that it really needed tulle and lining to puff out should have been done WAAAY earlier in the process, as I ended up having to hand stitch the darned things in. She's at that age where her mother knows nothing and is always wrong, though, and I foolishly allowed her far too much input. It would have been easier to do what I wanted in the first place and rip things out later if she complained! (Which she didn't, BTW, because I was right. . .heh.)

I did the hem with a rolled edge on the serger, fingers crossed because the machine is a pain more often than it should be. I had thought about rolling it over crochet thread to stabilize it a bit more, but after making some samples, I saw too much potential for disaster.

The cool thing about the lace is that it isn't black! It's a deep, cool brown! DD is not too keen on girly stuff, so I was surprised she picked that lace until I saw the color.

Luvmybully, I want to know how you got the lettuce edging on that skirt. I wouldn't have done it on this dress, but I haven't been able to get my serger to make anything nice and even like that.

Amtram
06-04-11, 11:54 AM
Oh, and the hair was a last-minute thing. Thursday, she decides she doesn't like it, starts cutting it herself. The back, of course, looks awful. So I start to even it out, but she complains if I even suggest touching anything else. (Remember, I know nothing, and I'm always wrong!)

So she's performing in a school concert that night, and I ask one of the other Band moms who's a hairdresser for some advice. Instead, she says she'll come to my house and do the cut. Woohoo!

When I'm cutting it, she can't say what she wants, except that it's not whatever I'm doing. For Lori, she prints a picture of the style. . .ah, well. I will laugh when her daughter does the same thing to her.

Imnapl
06-04-11, 12:07 PM
Gorgeous young people all dressed up.

Simenora
06-04-11, 12:14 PM
salleh the best way to make a twirly skirt with no bulk is to make a circle skirt (I made dance costumes and prom dresses before the grandyungin came along).

I can't get pictures on a post, don't know why because I could before.

Anyways, I agree the black lace on the red is VERY beautiful! I LOVE different dresses.

My daughter wanted hers to be short. We used a scrap from a dance costume for the bodice and she HAD to have white underneath it instead of a monotone periwinkle. It was so simple but turned out really nice.

did you wire the hem?

Luvmybully
06-04-11, 12:49 PM
Yep, made the dress pattern, made the dress, made the vest, made the tie. . .

The bodice and waist are separate pieces. Six for the top, seven for the waist. That was good for putting the lace onto the satin (baste one side, iron, baste another side, iron, repeat ad nauseam) but if I had known how many little changes daughter would have wanted, I would have made a single princess-line top.

The satin underskirt is a full circle, while the lace is just cut and gathered on the grain. Again, convincing DD that it really needed tulle and lining to puff out should have been done WAAAY earlier in the process, as I ended up having to hand stitch the darned things in. She's at that age where her mother knows nothing and is always wrong, though, and I foolishly allowed her far too much input. It would have been easier to do what I wanted in the first place and rip things out later if she complained! (Which she didn't, BTW, because I was right. . .heh.)

I did the hem with a rolled edge on the serger, fingers crossed because the machine is a pain more often than it should be. I had thought about rolling it over crochet thread to stabilize it a bit more, but after making some samples, I saw too much potential for disaster.

The cool thing about the lace is that it isn't black! It's a deep, cool brown! DD is not too keen on girly stuff, so I was surprised she picked that lace until I saw the color.

Luvmybully, I want to know how you got the lettuce edging on that skirt. I wouldn't have done it on this dress, but I haven't been able to get my serger to make anything nice and even like that.

To make the lettuce hem you do a tight zig-zag, like an applique sized one, over fishing line. I used 25 lb line. I used my regular machine for it not the serger, but I used the serger on everything else. The skirt is 5 layers, all of them circular with the lettuce edging. 3 layers of tulle, one layer of white satin and one layer of chiffon on top. There was supposed to be a top layer of blue but she really liked it plain white. I only had a bit less than a yard of that gorgeous silver embroidered periwinkle organza, so we had to get creative with skirt options.

I learned from the first prom dress I made that was taken apart the night before prom and put back together again in the wee hours of the morning SHORTER than it should have been to always make a muslin first. That way any design and fit issues can be dealt with on cheap fabric.

Hannah does NOT have the patience for dress design and fitting, it is hard for her to narrow it down to one thing when there are so many equally nice options! The decision about wether or not to put the rhinestone band on the top took her forever to make......It is a real good thing she is not overly picky and doesn't change her mind frequently. She is not real girly either, and she REALLY likes to be different.

Her first prom dress was brown satin and lime green and brown zebra print. I attached a pic of it. Those are my 2 girls, my oldest Danielle is in pink. She hand sewed HUNDREDS of swarovski beads onto her dress. It was her Senior prom, Hannha was a freshman. I LOVE that your daughter's lace was brown! Makes it even more unique.

The other pic is Hannah and her baby, Miles. He is the light of our lives, had to share him too.

So for the bodice did you attach each piece of lace to the satin individually, then sew them together as one piece? I LOVE that ribbon detail, it gives it such a nce touch! I made 2 separate top layers (in addition to the foundation layer and the lining) and layered the organza on top of the satin because the embroidery and sequins and pearls would make for some lumpy seams sewn onto the satin first. I was not real happy with the dark seams showing through the organza but at least the serger gives such a nice clean finish.

I LOVE the lace up backs! I made one last year for a girl and it sure does give some fitting wiggle room.

I don't know why I can't get pics on a post anymore! Wnen I click on the insert image button I get a screen flash then nothing...grrrr.....

Luvmybully
06-04-11, 12:52 PM
did you wire the hem?

Tight zig-zag over 25lb test fishing line. It worked really well for the tulle and chiffon, but didnt' have the same effect on the satin. I would probaby try a heavier line on satin.

Luvmybully
06-04-11, 12:54 PM
Gorgeous young people all dressed up.

I LOVE!!! pretty dresses! They are my absolute favorite things to make!

buddy
06-04-11, 08:15 PM
Amtram-Congratulations on making such a beautiful dress.You are very talented.

Brob2
06-04-11, 09:54 PM
What a GORGEOUS young lady, with such a beautiful, honest, smile. Good genes there somewhere ;).

Sometimes I am such a guy:o:)

I forgot to add that I think the dress is beautiful:o. Groom looks pretty well put together too!

pooka
06-04-11, 10:38 PM
Oooh I love it, Amtram! I know you've been working so hard on it. The finished product looks gorgeous, especially on someone as beautiful as your daughter :)

Amtram
06-05-11, 01:17 AM
You might want to put pics on an image hosting site and linking to them here instead of trying to upload them. It works a lot better.

Yep, each individual piece had to have the lace stitched on before they were stitched together, or I'd have to undo each seam a bazillion times to get the folds and wrinkles out. I had asked if I could take the easy way out with the ribbon and actually lace it through rings or grommets or something, but NOOOO. . .it had to be stitched on.

I don't know if I'd have the patience to zigzag over fishing line for that many yards. . .maybe if I managed to slip into hyperfocus, but one can never count on that when it's actually needed!

I have to say, while I enjoy making things for my girls, I liked it a lot better when they were little and not so picky about every little detail!

Luvmybully
06-05-11, 09:56 AM
You might want to put pics on an image hosting site and linking to them here instead of trying to upload them. It works a lot better.

thanks, I'll try that.

Yep, each individual piece had to have the lace stitched on before they were stitched together, or I'd have to undo each seam a bazillion times to get the folds and wrinkles out. I had asked if I could take the easy way out with the ribbon and actually lace it through rings or grommets or something, but NOOOO. . .it had to be stitched on.

well, the rings would have to be stitched on also, and they are a PITA to keep from sliding around, so it would have been the same amount of work. Plus it looks SO NICE stitched on, your daughter was right on that one.

I don't know if I'd have the patience to zigzag over fishing line for that many yards. . .maybe if I managed to slip into hyperfocus, but one can never count on that when it's actually needed!

I find regular hemming to be so tedious because you have to be careful, this was SUPER easy, semi-brainless, hard to mess up and didn't matter if it was perfect hemming, so I prefer it. I have a SWEET sewing machine also, so that does make it easier.

I have to say, while I enjoy making things for my girls, I liked it a lot better when they were little and not so picky about every little detail

I have one who likes to be real involved and one who doesn't. I made dance costumes for our competition dancers for years, and prom dresses for my girls' friends, so I got used to working with people on what they want.

Which is why I will NEVER do it large scale or as an actual real business. I just traded costumes for my girls' competitiobn fees. I could NEVER deal with people on a regular basis, they make me crazy and I have NO patience.

salleh
06-05-11, 02:30 PM
Desiging and making costumes for a vaudeville and melodrama theater was lots of fun, but I only did 2 shows......

but what I wanted to show was this link to 2 dress that I made for me ...the girls wearing them are sisters, and we decided to use my dresses for the shoot......sigh, I used to have an actual waist ........

http://stillshooting.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96#/dt74l4

the photo is a black and white that I hand colored with Marshall's Photo Oils.....the rendition online is not so nice as the real life one ....it looks garish there, and is much softer in reality .....

those were early dancing dresses.....I got more into shorter ones and with fuller skirts.....the blue dress is floor length, and the yellow one is ballerina length ....

Sandy4957
06-05-11, 03:24 PM
Gorgeous stuff! I also love the matching vest and hair!!!

Oh, and Amtram, I believe that you meant to title this thread "THE Prom Dress," right?! :D

tired1823
06-05-11, 04:01 PM
She's really beautiful.
and what a great dress and vest! How wonderful. Love it. Ya did great!

Impetus
06-05-11, 08:21 PM
I mean wow, just WOW!

diced
06-10-11, 05:39 AM
Really nice!

danelady
06-10-11, 05:46 AM
BEE-utiful!

BR549
06-10-11, 03:10 PM
FABULOUS!!! I love the dress and the accessories! I am amazed at your talent!!!

AddaptAbilities
06-10-11, 04:32 PM
Wow. I have no patience for sewing (it doesn't help that my math LD makes it hard for me to measure anything accurately) and I'm always SO impressed when I see someone else's fine work.

Your "discussions" with your daughter remind me of my prom dress, which my friend made for me ... it was strapless, and she suggested boning in the bodice. I said no way, boning is uncomfortable. She said, you probably want boning, you know, to HOLD IT UP, really. I said, no way, it'll be fine.

Let's just say ... my friend was right.

Amtram
06-10-11, 05:32 PM
Yeah - conversation with daughter that day was similar.

Me: I hand-stitched those bra strap hangers for a reason.

DD: I'm fine.

Me: They're to keep your bra straps from showing.

DD: I don't need them.

Me: I'm looking at your bra straps right now.

DD: *sigh* Fine, hook them up.

gypsysway
07-31-11, 03:08 PM
i doubt i can say any better complements then you have already been hearing, everyone is so right. i bet she stood out at the prom, you have got to love that color, so bold and perfect i bet she had a perma smile all night.

making my own clothes is just another one of many things i wish i had time to do, i think and see so much in other things all the time. i have actually boxes of random clothing i have picked up and goodwills, flee markets, yard sales just because i like the material and see myself using it in something.

i never hear the end of it about saving things my bf thinks i will never use, but i just can't bear to get rid of them, hopefully one day i can sit down at my sewing machine and can be as proud of something i made as you have got to be over the georgous dress.