View Full Version : Questions of the computer illiterate

Impetus
06-03-11, 09:37 PM
I'm assuming it's ok to post a question in here.... it's a question I have asked a few NT computer people at work. Annnnd, they look at me like I have antannae cause I can't figure out quite the right way to get my point across.

I figured you guys (gals) might be the right bunch of folks to pose my query to. I'm one of those computer "feelie" types. That's what I named myself since there are some many things I *feel* like they should be able to do, I just don't know how to do them.

anyway, here is soe back ground to my question. I work in a "niche" industry, so we work on an "operating system" that is probably only used by my company. We can like request changes from the programming people, and it happens a couple weeks later. I'm not on a mainframe, I know what that is. We (coworkers and managers) have to go to a "remote desktop" to get to the program that we use.

There are sections where we add notes into the system that belong to different files. all I want to know is how do I make it so that my notes show up in italics?

we have these big screens of notes, and it's hard to see where questions end and answers begin. there has to be a keyboard shortcut, right?

where i am getting confused is the system/platform is not Microsoft.

are keyboard shortcuts universal? thoughts on how to figure out how to use ilaics on command? (I know it's in there b/c there are headers at the top of every addition to the notes, and they are in italics. so I know the capability is in there...)

imma put this down here in bold, cause it's my freaking point anyway, lol!

are keyboard shortcuts universal?

Grasshoppaa
06-03-11, 09:47 PM
There are sections where we add notes into the system that belong to different files. all I want to know is how do I make it so that my notes show up in italics?

Tilt your head sideways when reading the notes. :p

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure keyboard shortcuts depend on the software and/or the operating system. I know that they are not universal. I'm sure the "note" function of whatever software you are using is very basic, and probably doesn't have the ability to change fonts.

Not sure if it would work, but you could try typing your notes in another program (Word, Notepad, any email, etc) that does allow you to italicize the font, then just copy and paste it to your notes. It might just change it all back to some standard font type, though.

Impetus
06-03-11, 10:01 PM
Tilt your head sideways when reading the notes. :p

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure keyboard shortcuts depend on the software and/or the operating system. I know that they are not universal. I'm sure the "note" function of whatever software you are using is very basic, and probably doesn't have the ability to change fonts.

Not sure if it would work, but you could try typing your notes in another program (Word, Notepad, any email, etc) that does allow you to italicize the font, then just copy and paste it to your notes. It might just change it all back to some standard font type, though.

:rolleyes: we handle insurance claims. So there are questions that change based on probably 200+ different incident codes. We type the answers in these little yellow boxes, BUT then when the dumb computer smooshes it all together, it's smooshed! it just goes from question to answer, q then a, q then a, all in helectiva. *eyes cross head wobbles*

I'm not gonna give up. I am the self appointed captain of the crash the system team.... (I have taken down an AS400 at a nationwide company before.... :p)

Impetus
06-03-11, 10:03 PM

yeah, I already tried this. it does change it back.

there is italics in the header thingies, at the top of every new entry.

HighFunctioning
06-03-11, 10:18 PM
are keyboard shortcuts universal?

No.

Keyboards themselves are not universal. Try using keyboard shortcuts on an iPad!

Most word processor type applications use <C>+I for italics where <C> is a modifier key that is not Shift or Alt. For PC's, this is Ctrl+I. This is the trend for GUI word processors on most systems that normally include a keyboard to begin with. Bold is <C>+B and underlining is <C>+U typically. But then again, keyboard shortcuts, especially these ones, are implementation dependent. Some shortcuts are application dependent while others are OS/shell dependent.

Impetus
06-03-11, 10:25 PM
No.

Keyboards themselves are not universal. Try using keyboard shortcuts on an iPad!

Most word processor type applications use <C>+I for italics where <C> is a modifier key that is not Shift or Alt. For PC's, this is Ctrl+I. This is the trend for GUI word processors on most systems that normally include a keyboard to begin with. Bold is <C>+B and underlining is <C>+U typically. But then again, keyboard shortcuts, especially these ones, are implementation dependent. Some shortcuts are application dependent while others are OS/shell dependent.

so you think <C>+I might work?? (does that mean ctrl?)

we do have ctrl+c and ctrl+v.... it just seems like that should be a set of commands, kwim?!

HighFunctioning
06-03-11, 10:51 PM
so you think &lt;C&gt;+I might work?? (does that mean ctrl?)

Yes, for a standard PC keyboard. It's worth a shot. When in doubt, start pressing buttons. :D (Oh, wait, you downed an AS/400 system...)

Impetus
06-04-11, 01:45 AM
Yes, for a standard PC keyboard. It's worth a shot. When in doubt, start pressing buttons. :D (Oh, wait, you downed an AS/400 system...)

they said it wasn't sinkable.... but they failed to plan for ME! mwa ha ha ha!