View Full Version : ADD or BiPolar?

Tamsin
06-04-11, 08:30 PM
So for the past 16 months or so I have had difficulty falling asleep. It is not uncommon for me to go over 36 hours with no sleep, nor is it uncommon for me to not fall asleep until 6-8am. BiPolar disorder runs in my family and I have been diagnosed with severe ADD. Throughout the years I have been tested for BiPolar and the tests always come back negative, but I heard that for many people BiPolar doesn't become apparent until their 20's, which is my age group.

I have difficulty falling and staying asleep. Sometimes it can take me 2+ hours to fall asleep and I usually wake up at least 3 times a night. I hardly ever fall into a deep sleep and usually wake feeling tired, even if I get 10 hours of sleep.

Last year I told my doctor that my thoughts seem to be keeping me up and I was tested again for BiPolar and again the doctor said I don't have it, so I wonder if it is ADD keeping me up or if I have very, very minor BiPolar? Since BiPolar runs in my family and since I have several other neurological and psychological issues it seems I have a very good shot at developing BiPolar (lucky me, huh?).

Trooper Keith
06-04-11, 08:39 PM
You've created a false dichotomy.

Brob2
06-04-11, 09:47 PM
I wonder if it is ADD keeping me up or if I have very, very minor BiPolar?

To expand a touch on Mr. Miller's concise response, it could be either, or it could be many other things as well. Certainly the racing thoughts of ADHD make sleep difficult for a lot of folks, but so does Bi-P, as well as poor sleeping habits, tense days (or evenings), problems at work, at home, constipation, pregnancy, worries about someone elses' (possible) pregnancy, French onion soup for dinner, your partner having had French onion soup for dinner, going to bed hungry, or too full, or with somebody you think is really really hot, etc., etc..
'