View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with both KAPVAY and Guanfacine?

Caliberzzz
06-05-11, 04:02 PM
How does Guanfacine compare with Kapvay? can both be used at the same time? How do/did they help with your focus/child's What about motivation any increase in that? Just ask questions if you don't understand what I'm asking.

Caliberzzz
06-05-11, 04:13 PM
I mean not just kapvay but clonidine in general how does it compare to guanfacine?

hollywood
06-06-11, 11:58 AM
I've heard clonidine controls tics better and is has shorter half life as well as more sedating effects as it effects not only the prefrontal cortex but also all 3 brain regions. I have found tenex sedating , I found intuniv much better, yet at 1mg feeling okay I can't really fathom the thought of getting more sedation than what I was feeling and I don't like the idea of having to go through trial phases of feeling whacked out until you get a response.

dannn
07-20-11, 06:24 AM
I'd also like to hear if anyone used clonidine and guanfacine at the same time - obviously half a dose each. I'm using Clonidine atm (75mgc 3 times a day, to go to 0.1mg three times), and whilst I definitely see some benefits, mainly with impulsivity and ticks (nail biting, hair pulling, face touching), I would definitely like to get guanfacine benefits - memory improvement, better planning (something I only got on Strattera but had to stop due to side effects).
I will discuss this with my psych on next appoitment, but I doubt he'll be too happy to try it.

hollywood
07-20-11, 09:47 AM
yeah , with intuniv I'm sure I was in the trial phases but I found myself overly aggressive at times. Almost out of control rage yet I felt in control of my adhd all the while I was using this in combination with my stimulants. I did after some time feel tired. Overall the big thing I noticed was that it took the side effects out of my stimulants and dampened down the background noise. I got too scared and stopped short. I just didn't like the feeling of taking something that could influence athletic performance and alter my blood pressure. Oh well...

TygerSan
07-21-11, 10:04 AM
I would definitely like to get guanfacine benefits - memory improvement, better planning (something I only got on Strattera but had to stop due to side effects).

Your mileage may vary, but from a pre-clinical perspective, if you were going to see memory improvements with an alpha agonist, you'd see it with clonidine as well as guanfacine . . .(though obviously your personal experience may be very different from the theoretical).

That said, even the memory effects of guanfacine are somewhat controversial in that there are some studies that show modest improvements, and others that don't. Overall these drugs seem much more helpful for the hyperactive/impulsive symptoms than the cognitive.

Clonidine has much more potential for being sedating than guanfacine (again from what I know in the research, not personal experience)

hollywood
07-21-11, 11:56 AM
thats pretty much what i hear. I did get some strange sedation , it was somewhat transient then it kind of caught up with me. Overall, I've found the ssri's to be a bit more helpful once adjusted. Its not easy if your mind gets stressed you start repeting negative behavior and a whole cascade of symptoms can make adhd stuck, worse , repetitve or just feel not focused. Either way intuniv may help some and may not. Docs certainly havent been helpful with me , nor have they been overly honest. Well, that could just be my adhd and my perspective at any given point

dannn
07-22-11, 09:52 AM
Well, I just realised that guanfacine/tenex is not even registered in the UK (as blood pressure medicine) and Intuniv is still in the trial phase - expected to be licenced in the UK/EU in 2013. Extended release clonidine (Kapvay) is also not availble here. Good old England, ah?
I've been on Clonidine 6 weeks so far, and haven't even reached target dose yet (0.3-0.4mg per day), I definitely see some benefits I wasn't able to get on any other medication - stopped driniking alcohol completely (something I always wanted), it helps with ticks, anxiety and restlessness. However just the idea of being permamently on something that can cause potentially fatal side effects if I miss few doses doesn't really fill me with confidence.

hollywood
07-22-11, 11:48 AM
yeah that is pretty scary isn't it. Just hearing about one person experiencing death is not the most assuring piece of evidence to hear about. I agree there are some benefits to intuniv and or clonidine but god it really makes me worry about missing a dose and dying? Geez hell no!

namazu
07-22-11, 12:29 PM
I've been taking 0.4mg Kapvay for a few (?) months now. (I'd been taking it along with methylphendiate -- Concerta+Ritalin, and recently added Strattera, so kind of feel guinea-pig-esque, but this was after careful trials of individual meds and other strategies, and each medication seems to work on different symptoms for me.)

it helps with ticks, anxiety and restlessness.
Same for me (though maybe less help with anxiety). Clonidine has almost totally stopped a tic-/OCD-like hair-pulling problem that had gotten really bad, just like that. And it makes it possible for me to lie in bed without kicking my legs and tossing and turning all night, which has greatly improved my partner's quality of life and ability to sleep!

So far, without obvious side effects -- my blood pressure hasn't gone low (though it was borderline high to start), and I don't think it makes me sleepy.

However just the idea of being permamently on something that can cause potentially fatal side effects if I miss few doses doesn't really fill me with confidence.Yeah, the possibility of "rebound hypertension" worries me, too, especially as I, like, y'know, have ADHD, and tend to forget stuff! But so far, so good.

I swear by my pill-box. I might miss a dose here or there if I wake up late or something, but I don't miss more than a day's worth of anything unless I fail to refill the pill box on Sundays. Which at this point, I've trained myself pretty well not to forget.

hollywood
08-02-11, 12:07 AM
Wondered what the word was on intuniv lately

dannn
08-02-11, 11:00 AM
This is an article about guanfacine from Daily Mail (UK papers) published few days ago.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2019434/Memory-loss-reversible-say-scientists-Yale-University.html

hollywood
08-02-11, 04:24 PM
not bad. I began taking cymbalta in low dose again for the millionth time seemingly at night. Cymbalta really slows me down, it's been 4 days or so but I'm not remembering anything. I do feel that intuniv helped with my memory since I have to remember a ton of mundane tasks, I just seemed so anxious about side effects every time that I would start taking the mediation. Here I sit on cymbalta on low dose and I have zero anxiety but thinking and using my executive function skills are compromised... Not sure if I should ditch the snri and give guanfacine another shot, it seems to really be helpful used with stimulants in my opinion.