View Full Version : Melatonin.

nad123
06-08-11, 12:03 AM
Hey Guys, I have been having problems with sleeping for years. And my friend told me about about Melatonin. Its a naturally accruing hormone made in your brain and is activated by darkness and suppressed by light. From what I herd this stuff makes you sleep quickly and helps you stay asleep. And besides the small effects of sleepiness [duh], and vivid dreams this stuff is pretty non-habit forming. And is a great choice for people who can not get to sleep due to there ADD medication.... Here is a short video about it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ZOadpNZmk

And here is some basic info on it... http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

The best thing out of all of is that it is also cheap! :)

C8H10N4O2
09-01-11, 02:56 AM
Hey Guys, I have been having problems with sleeping for years. And my friend told me about about Melatonin. Its a naturally accruing hormone made in your brain and is activated by darkness and suppressed by light. From what I herd this stuff makes you sleep quickly and helps you stay asleep. And besides the small effects of sleepiness [duh], and vivid dreams this stuff is pretty non-habit forming. And is a great choice for people who can not get to sleep due to there ADD medication.... Here is a short video about it...

"Naturally occurring" =/= good for you, or even okay for you. People need to get a better understanding about that concept. Many things that are naturally occurring are ridiculously toxic. In fact, a neurotoxin that is often regarded as the deadliest known to man is completely "all-natural" (see: botulinum toxin).

There are contradictory opinions about using melatonin, and the correct dosing is often debated. Also, just because it's naturally occurring in your brain doesn't mean you should ingest it. Ammonia, hydrochloric acid, urea, lactic acid etc., are all made in your body.

UV-light is naturally occurring, sulfur dioxide is naturally occurring, cyanide is naturally occurring...

With cyanide, certain "all-natural" plants found in NATURE actually produce cyanide to deter/kill organisms that try to consume them. (Almonds and apples for example.)

I don't know how and where we have failed so miserably as a nation/race, but this whole idea that "it's natural so it's good; it's synthetic so it's bad" idea is really messed up. Nature has worked for thousands and thousands of years to design defense mechanisms that are designed to kill its opposition... i.e., us.

Did you catch that last sentence fully? Nature tries to kill us. Admittedly it also tries to help us, but there are many scenarios where [B]nature tries to kill us.

We are where we are today as a race because we have set ourselves apart from nature. If everyone really wants to go "all-natural", we need to get rid of our electricity (only to have electricity when lightning strikes, or static electricity builds up, or other "all-natural" sources), get rid of any kind of man-made structure, go back to living in caves, and heaven forbid we use fire since that wouldn't be natural. While we are at it, we might as well get used to all the diseases that are going to be caused by parasitic infections. We can't have any kind of man-treated water since that wouldn't be natural. We can have a much reduced life expectancy the all-natural way, and then we can start dying much happier at the age of 30. Forget about this extended life-expectancy. That's definitely too unnatural.

[/End Rant]

Yeah, melatonin is nice to use on occasion.

Kaimei
09-01-11, 03:54 AM
I can get about two hours of sleep by taking a double dose of melatonin with a glass of wine.

It works great for some people - my brain apparently shrugs it off.

Dizfriz
09-01-11, 05:34 AM
Melatonin doesn't work for everyone but for me it does especially when I wake up in the middle of the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep.

When I am having a bout of insomnia however, it is not effective.

It has its uses but is not a miracle drug.

Dizfriz

sarahsweets
09-01-11, 06:20 AM
Melatonin helps me with my circadium rhythm. It doesn't make me sleep it just helps with my sleep cycle.

C8H10N4O2
09-01-11, 08:23 AM
Melatonin helps me with my circadium rhythm. It doesn't make me sleep it just helps with my sleep cycle.

This for me. I guess that's why I only occasionally use it. I usually don't feel like I got as good of quality of rest when I take it actually, but it helps me get myself back on track.