View Full Version : Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Do's and Don'ts of Wellbutrin?

franklinBen
06-09-11, 01:53 PM
Newly prescribed Wellbutrin after my last visit to the doc, and am starting out at 100mg x2 a day. Before I get ready to start it though, was wondering what the list of 'Do's and Don'ts' would be for it. Like for instance with Adderall there was stuff about avoiding citric acid, etc.

I am hoping this med will finally give me some consistent benefits, because Adderrall IR worked like it was supposed to at most 75% of the time (even less with XR), but a lot of times did nothing positive for my symptoms, but instead made me irritable and feel like I was on speed, yet extremely apathetic. I do have the inattentive type of ADD, and I read Wellbutrin does fairly well with it. Thanks

anonymouslyadd
06-09-11, 02:14 PM
One thing I would recommend is not to take it too late in the day. The first night I took it, I took it with the rest of my meds at 9 p.m. I quickly shifted it from 9 p.m. to 6 p.m. Granted, that first night I was anxious, and the anxiety persisted for a little while afterwards. I think that has leveled off though, or possibly I have made an adjustment.

It's been a great medicine for me. I'm up to 300 mgs with no significant side effects. I don't ever want to go off it.

Victor1985
06-17-11, 05:19 PM
I was on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 8 weeks before increasing the dose to 300 mg a week ago. According to my experience here are some do's and don'ts.

1. Don't consume too much caffine.
2. Don't change the time you take your medication.
3. Take it right after you wake up or with breakfast.
4. Drink more water.
5. Don't forget that you took it and then take it again. I've not done this but they say an overdose could be very dangerous.
6. If you forget it don't take it later in the day. Take it the next morning.
7. Remember to eat because you won't feel as hungry.
8. Be careful driving the first few weeks. I had problem concentrating and almost had a fender bender.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.

BrokenMirrors
07-04-11, 11:56 AM
Don't use alcohol. Positive effects are weak, negative strong.

MrObvious
08-25-11, 02:28 PM
To add to Victor, make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach. I usually wait until after breakfast as a general rule with all my crap I take because I took my stuff on an empty stomach one time and had the worst indigestion. My p-doc says it's because the med at the time (Celexa I believe) relaxes smooth muscles and the stomach is one or something like that. Anyway, eat and you'll be fine.