View Full Version : Random Tech Question For Computer Gurus

Grasshoppaa
06-10-11, 02:38 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while, so I figured I'd blow the cobwebs off the "ADD Tech Corner" section and see if anyone here can help me out.

What I'm trying to do is merge two partitions of a hard drive together, or in other words I want to make a partitioned hard drive un-partitioned. I know that I can just reformat the drive, but I'm trying to do it without erasing any information. Does anyone know how to do this and/or what program I can use to do it with?

P.S: One of the partitions is empty if that helps at all.

Thank you!

tipoo
06-10-11, 10:34 AM
If one partition is empty its considerably easier. Are you on Windows 7/vista, or an older version? If the former, you can do it with windows. Right click my computer in the start menu, go to manage. Go to disk management, and there ya are. Delete the empty partition, then expand the other one into it.

If your on another OS or an older Windows, you can use Acronis for partitioning software. They have a free trial that should be enough.

meringue
06-10-11, 11:07 AM
You should definitely back up your hard drive first, sometimes when you screw with partitions it can mess up you filesystem and it won't be able to boot. If you back it up, then you can always restore it if something goes wrong.

If you're using Linux, gparted is a good program to use. :)

Grasshoppaa
06-10-11, 12:09 PM
If one partition is empty its considerably easier. Are you on Windows 7/vista, or an older version? If the former, you can do it with windows. Right click my computer in the start menu, go to manage. Go to disk management, and there ya are. Delete the empty partition, then expand the other one into it.

If your on another OS or an older Windows, you can use Acronis for partitioning software. They have a free trial that should be enough.

I have Windows 7, but I just did as you said and it worked! Thanks for the help!! Now hopefully I'll stop getting the "low disk space" messages that have been popping up on my desktop every 10 minutes. I can't imagine why they would partition the hard drive right from the factory. Oh well.

Thanks again!