View Full Version : Klonopin added. I have questions.

finallyfound10
06-11-11, 10:27 AM
I am now on 36 mg/day Concerta for ADHD, 60 mg/day Prozac for Depression/Anxiety and 0.25 mg 2x/day Klonopin (for Anxiety which is getting worse so the Prozac wasn't workinng for it.

I have never been on a benzo so I am a bit nervous!! I never thought I would ever be a such a cocktail of these type of meds but it is what it is and I just need to get through the rest of school w/o paralyzing anxiety!!

Any advice or tips or warnings are very welcome!!

Thanks!!

sarahsweets
06-11-11, 10:29 AM
Klonopin has a long half life so it could be good for managing lon term anxiety. It made me stumble and drool so I have xanax as needed instead.

Macavity224
07-09-11, 04:14 PM
I am now on 36 mg/day Concerta for ADHD, 60 mg/day Prozac for Depression/Anxiety and 0.25 mg 2x/day Klonopin (for Anxiety which is getting worse so the Prozac wasn't workinng for it.

I have never been on a benzo so I am a bit nervous!! I never thought I would ever be a such a cocktail of these type of meds but it is what it is and I just need to get through the rest of school w/o paralyzing anxiety!!

Any advice or tips or warnings are very welcome!!

Thanks!!

I'm currently on Ritalin 10mg IR (2-3 times a day as needed) and Lorazepam .5mg-1mg a day. I have been on several SSRI's (never Prozac specifically), but never at the same time as any other medications.

What I've been finding is that Ritalin makes my anxiety significantly worse. Since Concerta is also a methylphenidate-based drug, I'm willing to bet you're having the same problem.

I find that taking the Lorazepam (or Klonopin in your case) first thing in the morning helps a lot...for me, taking a Ritalin without a Lorazepam will make my anxiety so bad, that I can't even focus on anything anyway, so it's pretty much just a waste.

Klonopin has a much slower absorption rate than Lorazepam as well. It won't help if you take it during an anxiety attack. Instead, you have to take a more preventative approach, and take it even when you don't think you need it.

Again. Take it every day, even if you don't feel like you need it.

Klonopin also has a much longer half life than Lorazepam. This means that it stays in your body longer, so you might not experience withdrawal symptoms for up to 2-3 days. I myself have never been on Klonopin, but I've heard reports like this from people who have been on it, especially on these message boards. I know for me, if I skip a .5mg dosage of Lorazepam for a day, especially after a day where I took a 1mg dose, I'll feel it A LOT the next day.

Do your research on benzos, if you haven't already. They're extremely addictive, withdrawals are terrible, and they have to be tapered off very slowly.