View Full Version : Is combining vyvanse with ritalin OK?

06-15-11, 10:08 AM
My doc just prescribed 10 mg ritalin as a booster to take in the afternoon, as I am taking 50 mg Vyvanse in the morning. I thought that a booster should have the same base. In other words, is it OK to combine methylphenidates and amphetamines?
By the way , I am a 50 year old woman, newly diagnosed a month ago with adult add and started taking 20 mg, then 40 mg, now 50 mg Vyvanse and still I see no changes in my symptoms. The doc said I could try a booster to last thru the evening, which is funny to me because there was no effect to boost.
If it really is OK to mix amp and meth maybe I should take them both in the morning and see if there is any change.
I go back to doc tomorrow and would love to be able to ask for a correct booster and /or an increase in dosage.
would love some input, please!
<!-- / message -->

06-15-11, 10:25 AM
Some people do mix and match (with doctors' approval), though some doctors frown upon it.

I would suggest if the Vyvanse isn't helping in the first place, that your intuition is right on. You could try increasing the dose of Vyvanse to see if a higher dose will have some effect.

Or, you might want to ask to try something else altogether. Maybe Concerta or Ritalin LA, both of which have a methylphenidate base. But it's a decision you should make with your doctor.

Good luck! Finding meds that work (and stay working) can be very difficult, but worthwhile.

06-15-11, 10:58 AM
The maximum absorption rate of Vyvanse 70mg per dose which can last 6-12 hours. My doctor gave me 70mg plus 30mg for the afternoon. If not timed correctly that second dose can cause major anxiety.
For me what works best is 50mg of Vyvanse in the morning with a small dose of Ritalin. Vyvanse can take an hour to start working so I found this to help. I also prefer short acting stimulants later in the day so I take Ritalin if I'm scattered etc. However I take it in small doses so i can see how my body reacts. I want the medication to work but not to have the ill effects like feeling "high", sweaty or that annoying dry mouth that can really damage your teeth. Hope that helps.

06-15-11, 11:09 AM
I'm surprised your doctor hasn't increased the dose of Vyvanse instead. I was in the same situation but my doc just kept upping the dose. I'm now on 70 mg so I hope this works...

06-15-11, 11:45 AM
It's safe because I have asked my pharmacist similar questions, but I would as 425runner has stated above try a higher dose or split the doses throughout the day. I have tried Vyvanse and taking it just once a day wasn't an option for me 2 70mg tablets worked but lost it's effectiveness rather quickly (6 hours).

06-16-11, 07:51 PM
thank you all so much for your helpful input.
today the doc moved me up to 60 mg vyvanse (was 50 ) and said still take the 10mg once a day, earlier if needed. I meant to ask If I could take them both together first thing in the morning. any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

04-14-16, 01:28 PM
Did you end up mixing 50 Vyvanse and 10 Ritalin after all a few years ago? If so, what was your experience? My Dr. is suggesting I do the same now after being on 70 Vyvanse for 4 years and going down to 50 the past 6 months hasn't been working into the evening hours when family is around.

I'm close to your age and also female. Starting to experience other changes (if you know what I mean) so a bit anxious about medication changes in general.

Would love to hear how things turned out for you.

04-14-16, 04:55 PM
I hadn't thought of this... To me it sounds like a good idea though I haven't tried both at the same time. I found Ritalin (or in my case Concerta) to be pretty mild so my guess, without any trails, is you will be fine.

I take 400mg Wellbutrin SR to help boost my Vyvanse and it does seem to make a difference. I often forget to take my Wellbutrin and if I do I'm more foggy headed.

04-14-16, 06:19 PM
Holy necrothread! ;)

I wonder if Ritalin/Focalin would make a good booster for Adderall/Dexedrine/Vyvanse
in that the reuptake inhibitor action would help keep what the amphetamines kicked out
stay in the synaptic cleft, prolonging their action, but allowing actual release to taper off.

04-29-16, 04:00 PM
My doctor just prescribed me Ritalin 30mg XR to use as a booster to my 60mg vyvanse.

vyvanse @ 8am
Ritalin @ 2pm

I have very high metabolism, so the vyvanse worked GREAT for about 5-6 hrs and then nothing. He almost seemed willing to just add a 2nd daily vyvanse dose, but said most insurance will only allow 70mg/day.

Personally, I don't understand the logic in doing XR, and especially jumping right to 30mg. In fact during the appt, he kept mentioning that I just needed something quick-acting to basically prolong the vyvanse effects. He was throwing around the idea of 10-15mg adderall or methylphenidate IR and even mentioned splitting the dose to use in the morning and afternoon...

And then at the end, he just decided 30mg methylphenidate XR. I even questioned if he was sure, and he said yes.

Anyways, today is day 1 to try, and I took the Ritalin dose an hr ago. Pretty sure I can feel a difference already, as my vyvanse would normally be losing strength by now. Instead, I feel like I do when my vyvanse is peaking (which is all I'm really looking for--so I really hope this doesn't keep gaining strength...)

But anyways, I'll report back at the end of the day to let you all know how it goes.
...probably at 3am, in between playing a guitar riff 45 times straight, plucking my eyebrows, and reorganizing my closet lol

04-29-16, 04:16 PM
From the research I've done, it sounds like it depends completely on the individual and what works for them. I've just been prescribed 30mg methylphenidate XR as a booster for my 60mg vyvanse (as I mentioned in a diff thread, why my doc chose to go with XR seems strange to me, but whatever).

This will be my 1st experience with a methylphenidate-based stimulant, so I'm anxious to compare it to the effects I get from amphetamines...thus far, I am a little over an hr into taking the 30mg methyl and I can def say it has solved my problem of the vyvanse wearing off too early. The effects of my vyvanse would normally be almost completely worn off by now, but that is def not the case now!

I do feel that it's providing more of a calm, super-focused effect vs the more energetic/motivated effect I get from vyvanse. Which is honestly exactly what I'm looking for.
...I just hope my body metabolises this as fast as it does the vyvanse, so I'm not up ALL night 😕

05-23-16, 05:56 PM
My doctor has me on 30 mg of vyvanse in the morning. It's great, I don't fidget and for the first time my mind is calm. My only problem as it would start to wear off by 4pm. She gave me an add on of 10 mg Ritalin to help until b d time and it does. Sometimes I split it and just take 5, other times I take the 10. Works great for me. Of course nothing is perfect and there is a lot of cognitive learning to do with it. By the way, I scored off the chart on the ADD test, not that that was any surprise to me. I also find a low dose of Wellbutrin helps. 🤗

05-25-16, 05:55 AM
I tried 30mg Vyvanse and 5mg Ritalin IR once. Its definately a booster and was too much for at that time. I think you must be used to it.