View Full Version : Misdiagnosed for 10 ten years, please help

mashpashable
06-15-11, 04:47 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or coping skills to help me..at age 12 I started having problems, doctors diagnosed me with bipolar because of my constant angry outbursts and my refusal to talk about how I felt or to talk to them at all. I'm now 22 years old and have just recently got off one of the many Bipolar medications they've put me on. In fact they've tried over 20 different ones that only made me extremely angry or severely depressed. Since I've got off of them I've been a ball of energy, happy but distracted, unorganized and often get off topic while talking with people, saying things that aparently make no sense to them. I feel impulsive with my words, saying whatever, whenever and seeing no shame. People have confronted me saying I make them uneasy and they often avoid me. I've dealt with being miserable and pushing people away, being on a medication that just made me irritable and depressed for years. Now I just scare them away. I feel like I've lost so much of my life and I'm afraid to try ADHD meds because of my past experience with other meds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

trishcan
06-16-11, 12:51 AM
Well, if you were misdiagnosed with bipolar, your negative experience with medication should be expected. Have you been diagnosed with ADHD? I was also (very briefly) misdiagnosed with bipolar and had similar issues. Getting diagnosed with ADHD 8 years ago and starting medication transformed my life for the better in ways I can't even begin to describe. Accurate diagnosis and accurate treatment should equal success, but I get that you'd be leary of meds after what you've endured.

tired1823
06-16-11, 12:58 AM
My cousin is bipolar and tried a lot of medicines. They just diagnosed her with adhd as well and now she takes adderall. I remember her making a comment like, "I wish I'd been taking Adderall my whole life" She thought it would have made things much easier for her. Adderall is rx'd for ADHD, but also as a mood stabalizer. So, there might be another medicine that will work for you.

Also, about the social skills, maybe you could get a dr. to help you. It's probably hard to get used to not having the influence of medicine on your brain after having it for so long. A dr. might help you identify problem behaviors or things to work on and develop in your personality.

trishcan
06-16-11, 01:01 AM
My cousin is bipolar and tried a lot of medicines. They just diagnosed her with adhd as well and now she takes adderall. I remember her making a comment like, "I wish I'd been taking Adderall my whole life" She thought it would have made things much easier for her. Adderall is rx'd for ADHD, but also as a mood stabalizer. So, there might be another medicine that will work for you.

Also, about the social skills, maybe you could get a dr. to help you. It's probably hard to get used to not having the influence of medicine on your brain after having it for so long. A dr. might help you identify problem behaviors or things to work on and develop in your personality.

Where have you read that Adderall is prescribed as a mood stabilizer? I've never come across such off-label use. It seems counterintuitive, given that Adderall is generally not recommended for people with bipolar and is known to cause mood disturbances.

Ekaroset
06-16-11, 01:02 AM
Been there, done that. First it was Major Depression (SSRI's didn't work), then it was Bipolar II (mood stabilzers did nothing). Got off everything and resigned myself to a life of failure. Then I heard a radio show on adult ADHD and said "OMG that is my ENTIRE life"

Like you, I was totally burned out on the mental health scene so I spent the next several months reading up on it. By then, I felt it was likely enough to talk to a doctor and even try meds if they were recommended. Getting diagnosed and on the proper meds has changed my life now.

Here's the link to the radio show that started it all: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4749372

tired1823
06-16-11, 01:25 AM
oooh my. you have some points there and i only read that in a book of pills I was flipping through at the pharmacy while waiting on my rx. I dont know other than that