View Full Version : No voices or hullicinations,but diagnosed schizophenic in an hour session

doiadhd
06-17-11, 01:19 PM
This is my latest diagnoses.........

But i do not get hullicinations or hear any voices inside my mind.....

Is it possible to have schizophrenia and not have the two main symptoms?

No-one has explained it to me...have to wait a month.It's complicated.

Any help,opinions ........anything,will be well recieved.

Thanks

Andi
06-18-11, 12:36 AM
From what I have read, the hallucinations and voices are the most known symptoms but are not necessarily present all the time. I wonder if you came across disconnected and your conversation and the things you shared somewhat unrealistic?

Did you ask the doctor what led him to the diagnosis? The following link has a good deal of information and I'll list the common symptoms. http://www.schizophrenia.com/diag.php#diagnosis

Characteristic Schizophrenia symptoms:

Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):

[1]Delusions - false beliefs strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: for example,
Paranoid delusions, or delusions of persecution, for example believing that people are "out to get" you, or the thought that people are doing things when there is no external evidence that such things are taking place.
Delusions of reference - when things in the environment seem to be directly related to you even though they are not. For example it may seem as if people are talking about you or special personal messages are being communicated to you through the TV, radio, or other media.
Somatic Delusions are false beliefs about your body - for example that a terrible physical illness exists or that something foreign is inside or passing through your body.
Delusions of grandeur - for example when you believe that you are very special or have special powers or abilities. An example of a grandiouse delusion is thinking you are a famous rock star.

[2] Hallucinations - Hallucinations can take a number of different forms - they can be:
Visual (seeing things that are not there or that other people cannot see),
Auditory (hearing voices that other people can't hear,
Tactile (feeling things that other people don't feel or something touching your skin that isn't there.)
Olfactory (smelling things that other people cannot smell, or not smelling the same thing that other people do smell)
Gustatory experiences (tasting things that isn't there)

[3] Disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence) - these are also called "word salads". Ongoing disjointed or rambling monologues - in which a person seems to talking to himself/herself or imagined people or voices.
[4] Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior (An abnormal condition variously characterized by stupor/innactivity, mania, and either rigidity or extreme flexibility of the limbs).

"Negative" symptoms of Schizophrenia , these symptoms are the lack of important abilities. Some of these include:

Alogia, or poverty of speech, is the lessening of speech fluency and productivity, thought to reflect slowing or blocked thoughts, and often manifested as short, empty replies to questions.

Affective flattening is the reduction in the range and intensity of emotional expression, including facial expression, voice tone, eye contact (person seems to stare, doesn't maintain eye contact in a normal process), and is not able to interpret body language nor use appropriate body language.

Avolition is the reduction, difficulty, or inability to initiate and persist in goal-directed behavior; it is often mistaken for apparent disinterest. (examples of avolition include: no longer interested in going out and meeting with friends, no longer interested in activities that the person used to show enthusiasm for, no longer interested in much of anything, sitting in the house for many hours a day doing nothing.)

A short summary of a list of negative symptoms are:
lack of emotion - the inability to enjoy regular activities (visiting with friends, etc.) as much as before
Low energy - the person tends to sit around and sleep much more than normal
lack of interest in life, low motivation
Affective flattening - a blank, blunted facial expression or less lively facial movements, flat voice (lack of normal intonations and variance) or physical movements.
Alogia (difficulty or inability to speak)
Inappropriate social skills or lack of interest or ability to socialize with other people
Inability to make friends or keep friends, or not caring to have friends
Social isolation - person spends most of the day alone or only with close family

Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person’s behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other.

Cognitive Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Cognitive symptoms refer to the difficulties with concentration and memory. These can include:

[1] disorganized thinking
[2] slow thinking
[3] difficulty understanding
[4] poor concentration
[5] poor memory
[6] difficulty expressing thoughts
[7] difficulty integrating thoughts, feelings and behavior

Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement).

[**]Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 6 months. This 6-month period must include at least 1 month of symptoms (or less if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A (i.e., active-phase symptoms) and may include periods of prodromal or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences).

Schizoaffective and mood disorder exclusion: Schizoaffective disorder and mood disorder with psychotic features have been ruled out because either (1) no major depressive, manic, or mixed episodes have occurred concurrently with the active-phase symptoms; or (2) if mood episodes have occurred during active-phase symptoms, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the active and residual periods.

Substance/general medical condition exclusion: The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.

Relationship to a pervasive developmental disorder: If there is a history of autistic disorder or another pervasive developmental disorder, the additional diagnosis of schizophrenia is made only if prominent delusions or hallucinations are also present for at least a month (or less if successfully treated).

JOHNCG
06-25-11, 01:39 AM
This is my latest diagnoses.........

But i do not get hullicinations or hear any voices inside my mind.....

Is it possible to have schizophrenia and not have the two main symptoms?

No-one has explained it to me...have to wait a month.It's complicated.

Any help,opinions ........anything,will be well recieved.

Thanks

The symptoms of schizophrenia are divided into what are called "positive" and "negative" symptoms. To be diagnosed with schizophrenia you need to experience of both "positive" and "negative" symptoms. Hallucinations are classified as "positive" symptoms, but there are other types of "positive" symptoms as well in schizophrenia, notably delusions, or, for example, the presence of grossly disorganized/chaotic speech.

The short answer to your question is, therefore, that an individual does NOT NECESSARILY have to experience hallucinations (i.e, to be hearing or seeing or feeling or smelling or tasting, etc, things that are not really there) to qualify for a medical diagnosis of schizophrenia. For example, many individuals with schizophrenia experience DELUSIONS as opposed to hallucinations.

A delusion is basically a belief a particular person has, that no one else in the "normal"/rational society around them agrees with. In psychiatry there are lots of different types of delusions, for example: paranoid delusions or delusion of grandeur or, say, religious delusions. An example of the latter is as follows... If you genuinely believe, for instance, that you are the second messiah, and you set about telling this to everyone you meet, it is highly likely that the vast majority of them will not agree with you; (and) if you tell this to a psychiatrist he will almost certainly think that you are "deluded" and possibly schizophrenic.

Hope this is of some help for you??

Regards,

John

MensanDave
03-30-13, 03:11 AM
But i do not get hullicinations or hear any voices inside my mind....

Kidding:p
voice in doctors head: you must be paranoid because the world is designed to make you that way. Even if you are not you are here and are hiding it from me. You are the sheep and my brainwashing from the same type of media makes me your sheppard, but I am getting paid extra for this new drug to test out.

To lighten you up:)
The only news left is PBS they are safe but can cause you to fall asleep anywhere even behind the wheel of your car, that to is a disorder from a medicational standpoint and is included in next weeks ads with the butterflys and white rabbits. They want you to take the red pill not the blue pill. The side effects from the pill is the zombie virus, yes the zombie virus. It will only effect one in four persons and the FDA cleared it because there are enough guns and ammo. and paranoid types around so the virus can be stopped from getting to top 1% and their puppets.

If you believe that either is plausable I might be wrong about you being mislead.:(

Hint paranoia is the one he is looking for not random side effects he knows what the hell is going on in the world. If your not loosing sleep then your not buying lunesta...zzz butterflys in my head...