View Full Version : Cymbalta to Wellbutrin

quirkyscrawler
06-23-11, 07:40 PM
Hi there,

I used to take Adderall but had a manic episode, and now pdocs won't prescribe it for me. Tried Strattera, but did not work. Interestingly, it was Cymbalta that helped, at least for concentration while reading...supposedly working the same way the Strattera does (on the norepinephrine, as it is an SNRI). Pdoc gave me samples of Nuvigil which allowed me to have a slight burst of motivation initially in the morning and helped slightly with wakefulness/attention, but it's too costly and the insurance probably won't cover it anyway as I'd have to meet the criteria for narcolepsy. As I could use a little extra motivation and such, I asked about Wellbutrin today...So now I have a few days' worth of 150 (regular, I think) and then 300 XR. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that this does the trick, as I have a creative writing thesis that I have finally started chipping away at again, but am very far from completing. Also, I'm looking for a medication that I can stay on for the long haul. The Adderall was effective, but I developed a high tolerance to it and was always concerned about when it would wear off...It would be nice to tap into "work mode" whenever and not be so concerned about crashing...Also, I couldn't really work out on it (otherwise I'd get heart palpitations). The downside to the Cymbalta was the negative sexual side effects, which I'm hoping the Wellbutrin will counter...

Has anyone had experience switching from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin, or being on both at the same time (right now the plan is to quit the Cymbalta, but add it back in later if I feel like I need it). I've also heard that Wellbutrin helps with motivation but not necessarily concentration? What's your experience? What's been happening with the Cymbalta is that I have enhanced concentration, but not necessarily the motivation to work on projects.

Thanks!

Guess I'll keep you posted on future significant changes...if/when they occur.

~quirkyscrawler

Amtram
06-24-11, 06:40 PM
The two of them work on completely different neurotransmitters. Cymbalta affects serotonin and norepinephrine, while Wellbutrin works on dopamine. You probably want to read up on each of those to get a better understanding of what they do - that will help you recognize, in many cases, whether a medication is affecting one or another for better or worse.

Whatever you decide, though, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to gradually taper off Cymbalta. I got to a point where I was taking only a few grains once a week before I was able to stop taking it completely. Stopping suddenly is a very bad thing to do.

WhatsaParog
06-25-11, 05:59 AM
I registered just to be able to tell you about my experience with wellbutrin. It made me fuzzy and I was warned about being nauseous for the first 4-5 days. It went away and came back after I jumped from 150 to 300, I'm sure it will go away again. Wellbutrin was prescibed to me as an anti-depressant and well, it did somewhat help me with motivation. However, I have been having ups and downs ( Being a bit moody ) after I started taking the 300mg doses It's only been 2 days of that and maybe I was like that on the 150 and didn't really notice it. I'm going to wait 2 weeks and see if it goes away, but overall, I feel like I've been doing more things that I need to do. I seem to finish the things I start instead of only doing part of it and thinking "I'll do the rest later". I usually play games instead of cleaning my place, postpone important things that can screw me over financially, ect. This last week, the things I usually do to waste time, feel like nothing else than time wasters. All in all, wellbutrin seems to be helping me, slowly but surely, as far as motivation goes. Concentration though, I can't say. I feel like I'm staring at absolutely nothing sometimes. I've read on here that this goes away after a while though. I may start a thread with day to day updates if anyone is interested, as it seems no one comes back to post about how they feel after a few weeks of experiencing side effects and some people say they've been on it for years. I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it's really late and I just came back from a long day of work.

quirkyscrawler
06-25-11, 09:02 PM
Update:

I'm on my 3rd day of Wellbutrin 150mg XR. The switch from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin was surpisingly smooth; no brain zaps or anything, although I had only been on Cymbalta for about a month.

The feeling I've had on Wellbutrin so far has been not unlike what I experienced with Cymbalta, with maybe a notch up. Concentration, with a little added motivation...I've been able to keep reading longer than on the Cymbalta, I think...(in the beginning of taking Cymbalta I was reading for longer periods of time than usual because I was excited about my newfound ability to concentrate, which I don't have without medication)...but it seems like I get slightly more pleasure out of it on the Wellbutrin. It's a little hard to compare (and at this point I'm trying not to compare things to Adderall, as it's not really an option at the moment and I'm trying to accept the cards I've been dealt), but I do notice a subtle (positive) difference. Some slight irritability towards the evening? but nothing radically negative. It's actually all been pretty smooth. I'll be going up to 300mg XR in a few days, so I'll report back with my experiences...

And thanks to those who shared!

~quirkyscrawler

quirkyscrawler
06-26-11, 09:40 PM
Day 4 on Wellbutrin (sans Cymbalta): Experiencing some brain zaps, but nothing too distracting. Two more days on 150 XL and will titrate up to 300 XL.

addtention
07-03-11, 03:48 AM
The two of them work on completely different neurotransmitters. Cymbalta affects serotonin and norepinephrine, while Wellbutrin works on dopamine. You probably want to read up on each of those to get a better understanding of what they do - that will help you recognize, in many cases, whether a medication is affecting one or another for better or worse.

Whatever you decide, though, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to gradually taper off Cymbalta. I got to a point where I was taking only a few grains once a week before I was able to stop taking it completely. Stopping suddenly is a very bad thing to do.

Cymbalta > SNRI > serotonin and norepinephrine
Wellbutrin > NDRI > norepinephrine and dopmaine
Staterra > NRI > norepineprhine
Adderall > ???? > dopamine and norepinephrine
Dextro-amp/Vyvanse > ???? > mainly dopamine if only