View Full Version : Questions to those who have used Daytrana

ADDinSRQ
06-24-11, 06:40 PM
I'm starting Daytrana tomorrow and I have some questions I'd like to ask.

First: The box says not to put them in the fridge but I've read that this really helps with pealing off the back adhesive. I'd like to know if any one has tried this and if it actually works and if it affects the medicine in any way

Second: The instructions say that you should not cut them. But I've read that many people have and have not had any issue with this. Does any one have any personal experience with using half a patch?

Finally: On many different websites, including doctors websites, I've read that this medication becomes more effective the longer you use it. For example I'm starting with 2 30mg patches but from my understanding that after about 5-6 weeks I may need only one patch. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

relax21
06-27-11, 02:00 PM
First: The box says not to put them in the fridge but I've read that this really helps with pealing off the back adhesive. I'd like to know if any one has tried this and if it actually works and if it affects the medicine in any way?

I've never put mine in the fridge. It is difficult to remove the adhesive but with patience and practice I figured it out.

Second: The instructions say that you should not cut them. But I've read that many people have and have not had any issue with this. Does any one have any personal experience with using half a patch?

I cut mine in half all the time. My doctor instructed me to do so. I didn't find any issues with it.

Finally: On many different websites, including doctors websites, I've read that this medication becomes more effective the longer you use it. For example I'm starting with 2 30mg patches but from my understanding that after about 5-6 weeks I may need only one patch. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this?

I started at 30 mg but I did end up cutting it in half eventually over time. The good thing about this form of the medication methylphenidate is that you can remove it from your system whenever you don't need it. Where with pills you take it and then you're stuck with it till it wears off.

ADDinSRQ
06-27-11, 07:48 PM
I had to stop taking the medication. At 2 30mg patches it was not strong enough. I went back to my 2 20mg Adderall IR pills per day. Once this hectic summer semester ends I'm going to take a med break and try again once fall semester starts up.

bockerrocker
08-13-11, 05:55 PM
is anyone's 8 year old on it? How bad is the skin sensitivity? We are discontinuing Intuniv and starting Daytrana on Tuesday.

Also, is anyone familiar with Joey Pigza books?

ya-ya
10-11-11, 12:26 AM
I'm starting Daytrana tomorrow and I have some questions I'd like to ask.

First: The box says not to put them in the fridge but I've read that this really helps with pealing off the back adhesive. I'd like to know if any one has tried this and if it actually works and if it affects the medicine in any way

Thanks

I do both! You can definitely cut the patches. I cut the patches and use about 2/3 of the patch and then save the last 1/3 to use the next day. I have found that it is MUCH easier to get the adhesive off the 2nd day if I put the patch in the freezer for a few minutes first. I have not found any issues with the effectiveness of the med after doing this. I told my Doc (who does research on ADHD meds) about the freezer tip and he said he'd be sharing that info with his other patients.

Regarding your last question, that would be awesome if that were the case!! Unfortunately, I found the opposite to be true. I started with 20mg the first day which was too much, so then went down to 10mg, which worked for a few weeks. However, I ended up increasing to 20mg after several weeks because I was not getting any benefit from the 10mg. Maybe I should try 10mg again now! The patches are expensive and this would allow me to get by with 1 package for 3 months again!