View Full Version : Animation of Effects of Ritalin

cracell
09-02-04, 09:42 PM
Hey all I'm working on an Animation to explain the effects of ritalin

so if you have taken, or are taking ritalin I wanna see if you like my interpetation, or if you have any ideas/suggestions

I'm hoping to make a number of animations explain add for a website I wanna make

here it is

http://add.95mb.com/visual.htm

thanks for any help/ constructive critcism

waywardclam
09-02-04, 10:01 PM
This is good, but you need to disclaim that not all drugs operate the same for all people with ADD. Ritalin does indeed help many but there are people it doesn't work or even worsens things for.

charlie
09-02-04, 10:23 PM
cracell,
that's COOL!
I wih you had a 'replay' button somewhere, so someone like me can watch it over...even show others, without having to close the window and reopen.

cracell
09-02-04, 10:24 PM
ah yes very good point (I will make many notes thoughout the site that only a doctor can diagnose add, and find out the proper drugs and treatment's for your case

Edit: Just added disclaimer and Replay Button

Trooper Keith
09-02-04, 10:36 PM
Type should be fixed on the last slide, "accelerate," not "accerate."

cracell
09-02-04, 10:49 PM
Fixed several spelling errors in the thing as one as added replay button and Note about ritalin working differently in different people

waywardclam
09-03-04, 12:03 AM
You have a fantastic attitude about constructive criticism. And a great site in the works! What is the next step you have planned?

(P.S. I think "Effects" with a capital should be "affects" without one in the final message, but it's a tiny detail and not that important IMHO)

paulbf
09-03-04, 03:09 AM
Here's some thoughts...

ADDers are under stimulated and the coping mechanism is hyperactivity looking for something to satisfy.

ADDers are not as easily satisfied. Satisfaction or reward is the stimulation that holds us up like the line in your diagram. Without that our baseline is barely a faint dotted trace of a route & we wander (inattentive) or bounce (hyperactive) off course accomplishing nothing & getting distracted. The Ritalin allows ADDers to sense the reward in normal things like the way most people would pay their bills knowing they'd feel good keeping their life in order (getting over one of those boring gaps in your diagram). So while the boring task appears not to provide any support, more abstract long term satisfactions/stimulations can close the gap, making the course stable.

Hmm, so what I'm calling satisfaction/reward/stimulation, you are representing with the speed of the ball flying over boring gaps. So we are talking about the same thing but maybe another way to diagram a few more aspects of the puzzle like explaining where hyperactivity comes from & how speeding up calms you down.

Maybe the baseline is more like a conveyor belt with motivational treads that help pull you through life. ADDers have trouble getting over bare spots in the conveyor & we'll look for another conveyor nearby, switch tracks & latch onto that one. If there's no alternative we can fall through the gaps or just stop there & bounce around in our heads for entertainment.

The hyper ADDer would be a ball stopped at the gap bouncing around instead, maybe trying to reach another track or just tapping it's foot keepin' busy. The inattentive ADDer could be represented as a ball stopped by a (boring) gap or slowed by poor traction but instead of bouncing, it's got a black dot inside that bounces around inside (day dreaming).

Heh, this is fun...

The adHd combined type is of course a bouncy ball with a bouncy ball inside itself (definition of bonkers).

The linear thinker or Ritalin taker has a magnetic black ball inside itself that is attracted to the goal at the end of the conveyor (dump the conveyor concept now & lets just use the black dot brain & bouncing metaphors)...

OK so there's a field with dashed lines leading to various goals (cubes full of smiley faces? piles of money?) and the linear thinker's magnetic brain smells the goals, pulling them towards the goal, across gaps...

The ADDer's brain is magnetic towards the conveyor/dashed lines so it's eye (brain) isn't pointed out to the goal but leaning down at the track, like a hound dog on a scent, snuffling up each stimulating scent & on to the next... When there's a gap, maybe another trail passes within reach & the ADDer abandons the goal or maybe just stops at the edge & starts bouncing; trying to find a way over the gap or onto an adjacent track.

OK I know Iím getting carried away butÖ

So maybe each track is a different color & thereís all these cool multi-color paths heading in all directions (which look very faint to a linear thinker but hold magnetic force on the ADDerís brain) & the ADD ball just goes nuts riding one track & leaping huge gaps then getting sick of that color & jumping on another track maybe even going backwards.

The problem here is that no goals are reached.

OK well thatís enough brain storming for tonight.

cracell
09-03-04, 11:45 AM
heh ok, I like where your going, though I'm not sure whether I could use that to explain to people without ADD or who have never taken ritalin

hmm

cracell
09-03-04, 12:21 PM
oh hey everyone that server had issues so I moved it to

http://add.125mb.com/visual.htm

lightray
09-05-04, 10:13 AM
Kewl.

Allow the viewer to decide when to move to the next "screen." You can use a "click here to continue" button, or something like that. The timed screens may be to slow or too fast for some.

The first time I looked at it I was amused by the animation and didn't read the text description quickly enough before it went to the next screen and description.

fasttalkingmom
09-05-04, 12:05 PM
I like it !

amandashadow
10-05-04, 03:26 PM
hey,
im kinda doing something similar with a lot less knowledge. I am doing my thesis on add/adhd and sports, i have come from a multimedia background so i would like to add a cd-rom to this. any suggestions on the area in general or on the multimedia element would be really appreciated.
thanks guys

Garry
11-05-04, 05:35 PM
Id like to see it

The links not working