View Full Version : Mom of an Adult ADHD son in Dover, Delaware--uninsured..

06-25-11, 03:48 PM
Hello- I am hoping to help my 27 yr old son get services to be seen and prescribed meds for his adhd. He and his wife are uninsured and cannot afford a doctor without it.
about 2 yrs ago he saw a psychiatrist who pronounced him "a classic case of ADHD" and gave him focalin samples. he took it a week or so and forgot to refill it-when he took it again a month or so later he said it didnt work as well so she gave him adderal. he was on it for a year or more and we all wanted to kill him on it-he was very angry and nasty on it. wasn't a good med for him...I think a sustained release ritalin would be the thing to try..he never had meds as a youngster-(that is a whole nother story!).
Anyway-is there a clinic that would deal with this medical issue?
I called the Williams state Service Center in Dover which has a mental health clinic. The woman I spoke to was not very nice or helpful...but said he needed an appt for an assessment and then another appt for a database to be set up based on him filling out some questionaires and only after a few of those could he see a psychiatrist. So I set up an appt for him. The woman knew it was for adult adhd.
So yesterday he gets a call and they tell him they do not treat adult adhd.
Can anyone help us to find a resource for him? He is a great guy, gainfully self employed with a wonderful wife who works 3 jobs. God bless them- I am just trying to help get the ball rolling for them and they can take it from there.
please HELP!! thank you in advance.

06-25-11, 08:19 PM
please reply--I know there are people out there with awaiting replies.
a concerned mom

Trooper Keith
06-25-11, 10:08 PM
You don't give much information as to what kind of searches you've been doing, so until I have more information I'm just going to kick out some resources for you:

Please let us know if you've used or contacted any of these services, that will help me refine my search a bit.

06-25-11, 10:57 PM
i started searching with the Williams state Service Center in Dover. I am not familiar with what is available in Delaware as I am in Maryland. Before this he went to a psychiatrist who I believe has since lost her licence-So I don't know if he will be able to get his records.
Essentially we are starting out at ground zero.
What he needs is I guess another doctor to take over his care and prescribe medication. He has no insurance so I wanted to find a clinic that had a sliding scale fee. He does not have any other mental illness. I am wondering if adult ADHD qualifies for admission into an outpatient mental health clinic?
I am not sure what other information you need.

Trooper Keith
06-26-11, 01:28 AM
I see no reason why an adult with ADHD would not be seen at an outpatient clinic. Maybe check some of those links and make a few phone calls and see what you can find out?

06-26-11, 01:47 AM
You just have to keep on bugging them until they help you and your son.
Ask if they know of any sliding scale clinics that are experienced with ADHD.

I've had the same experience at a local regional mental health center.
(They try to do their best not to help people...what an oxymoron)

They said that they only treat people that have "severe mental health problems" and when I asked about why they had ADHD meds available in their online catalog they replied with "that's only for people with dual diagnosis"....yeah whatever..

06-26-11, 02:57 AM
Just start calling places. Call hospitals and psychiatrists and everyone you can think of in the Dover area. Ask what mental health clinics provide services to patients on a sliding scale. I'm sure there's a few out there.

Here's one that came up on Google:
Delmarva Rural Ministries
26 Wyoming Ave.
Dover DE 19904

Also this:
Kent Community Mental Health
805 River Road
Dover DE 19901
(302) 857-5060
Contact: Stan Kotula

and one last one:
Rockford Center
100 Rockford Drive
Newark DE 19713
24 hours, 7 days a week
(302) 996-5480
Contact: Liz Proctor

This last one says: "helps callers access all levels of behavioral health care services. A Needs Assessment Counselor will gather clinical information and make a recommendation and referral to services." This could be an excellent starting point.

You should try!

06-26-11, 06:31 AM
I know some people who have similar problems and refuse to pay a psychiatrist since they don't have insurance and they have to wait and wait and wait just to get a referral to go see someone else. I also know people who have had better experiences with these systems.

I'm 32 and was diagnosed a year ago, I don't make a lot of money but I feel that making the decision to just pay the psych out of pocket was one of the best investments I ever made. Ritalin is cheaper if you get generic too so if he's really struggling you may find it's best to pay the money if at all possible. I realize it may not be possible at the moment.

I make more money now as a result of being diagnosed and treated so I don't mind paying the money, it's my life and getting treatment for ADD has been life changing, you can't put a price on it. Every moment gone untreated could potentially be a moment of unnecessary frustration, I think if you can afford it just pay for now and figure the rest out later.

Once he's being treated he may be able to figure out a way to get treated for free very quickly, ADD really clouds my mind and if his ADD is anything like mine he could end up in a bad situation due to the consequences of untreated ADD.

ADD can be so subtle and so debilitating at the same time. Only you guys know if the matter is urgent or not. I was recommended to a specific psych by my Primary Care Physician and I got lucky. I hope things work out the best for you and your son.

grandma lise
06-26-11, 02:50 PM
In our community - (population 80,000) - we have one mental health clinic and two community health clinics.

Our mental health clinic only treats those who have a serious mental illness. If they also have AD/HD, they will treat that too.

Our community health clinics both provide behavioral health services and offer a sliding scale fee. After you go through the process of becoming their patient, they treat AD/HD.

For help, try this resource:


Here's another strategy: Encourage your son to apply for services through vocational rehabilitation services:

Vocational Rehabilitation Division

1114 S Dupont Hwy # 105, Dover, DE 19901-4401 <NOBR>(302) 739-5478</NOBR> ‎

Their mission is to assist the disabled gain and/or maintain employment - (AD/HD is a disability). Once he becomes a client, they likely will pay for your son's AD/HD related doctor visits and presciptions if there is no insurance. Often there is a waiting list. Even if the waiting list is two years, get on it because it may not take that long, and even if it does, he will still likely be in need of the services in two year's time.

In addition, if they will let you talk with a counselor there who works with AD/HD clients, he or she may be able to tell you where your son can get his AD/HD treated for a sliding scale fee.

Hope this helps.


06-26-11, 08:46 PM
Try looking here: (

Go to the 'find insurance' option. This is a tool that will help you find local facilities in your area that provide free or reduced cost health care, depending on your income.

Or look here:

Also on that page are tools to help get insurance for those who are self-employed.

If he's having trouble getting insurance because of pre-existing conditions, try looking into this:

It's a pre-existing condition insurance plan to help people with existing health conditions or high-risk individuals get insurance coverage. It's part of the Affordable Health Care Act. How the coverage is provided depends on where you are - in some areas, it's a state-funded program, in others, it's a federal plan.

Hope this helps!

06-26-11, 11:43 PM
thanks to all...will get cracking on some of those phone numbers monday morning!

07-22-12, 08:37 PM
This place I went to treats adult ADD I even see older people in their 40's to 50's go here.