View Full Version : Buddha Quotes

Roshan_31
06-27-11, 02:41 AM
This is the site where you can find about the buddha's quotes. Buddha is the light of Asia. He gave many speech and quotes which very practicable in our life.First, Buddha was born in Nepal but he take a knowledge from the place of India.The main quotes are listed below:
1)“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”
2)“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
3)“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”
4)“The mind is everything. What you think you become.”
5)“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
6)“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
7)“Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
8)“To understand everything is to forgive everything”
9)“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
10)he only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”
These are the main quotes of buddha. We should follow these in our real life.

Conman
06-29-11, 11:53 PM
oh yeah, buddha has had more quotes that help me at some point or another than anybody. buddhism is awesome.

SB_UK
06-30-11, 03:39 AM
Perhaps one of the simplest ways to realise how correct these phrases are -
is to analyse competition.

Competition between people (taking in, between families, corporations and nations).

Does the species benefit from competition between people ?

No - the species benefits by the individual competing against self for the benefit of species.

So - if competition between people is bad - why are we driven to it ?

Analyse the reason and the rational mind thwarts ignorant instinct for control over the individual's behaviour.

An act of 'sculpting' the mind ... ... where ... ... we realise that
The mind is everything. What we think we become.Our state of mind influences behaviour; a child is drawn to the pretty colour of flames, until the child is burnt (learns better) - mind (thereafter seen) to define behaviour in future encounters with fire.

We need to empower the mind by setting it the task of arriving at a rational understanding which rejects the competitive instinct which we're born into -

-> that drive to discriminate our exclusive self (ego kept in place by the primitive reward system - see signature) from others, by foul means or foul.

This is not logical behaviour, deeply understand (not just know) it as such, and the mind will have made the leap to enlightenment.

The original philosophy of the Olympic games was a battle against oneself (the Gods) and the intended philosophy of economics was to make the world a better place for one and all -
- and then people made the all to familiar lapse into attempting to beat others, instead of personal betterment -

... ... and what followed was the diabesity and associated disorders (cancer,autoimmune diseases) and poverty through wealth condensation.

Being the world's best at one precise moment in time (at kicking a ball) or having more money than another person, rather than being aspired to, should (with the rational mind) lead to felings of shame.

Your gain - at a cost to all others.

The species fields a net loss.

Imagine how an ant or bee community 'd work if the population of ants and bees were to set up systems to do one another down.
It just wouldn't.

Conman
07-03-11, 12:13 AM
alls i can say without being confused, is Buddha is probably the smartest and best teacher there ever was. in terms of spirituality, religion, and other such views. naturally we all have our own teachers who reach us in their own ways

Kunga Dorji
07-18-11, 08:25 AM
Here is one of my favorites- or as close a paraphrase of it as I can recall:

In our lives, we do not have the option of whether or not we experience pain.We do, however, have the option of whether or not we suffer.

Kunga Dorji
07-18-11, 08:32 AM
My all time favorite:
(from the Kalama sutta)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html

As they sat there, the Kalamas of Kesaputta said to the Blessed One, "Lord, there are some priests & contemplatives who come to Kesaputta. They expound & glorify their own doctrines, but as for the doctrines of others, they deprecate them, revile them, show contempt for them, & disparage them. And then other priests & contemplatives come to Kesaputta. They expound & glorify their own doctrines, but as for the doctrines of others, they deprecate them, revile them, show contempt for them, & disparage them. They leave us absolutely uncertain & in doubt: Which of these venerable priests & contemplatives are speaking the truth, and which ones are lying?"

"Of course you are uncertain, Kalamas. Of course you are in doubt. When there are reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them.

Of all the quotes so far this is probably the only accurate one close to the original language.

If you look at it you will notice that it is much more hard edged and precise than many of the sort of quotes that are often attributed to the Buddha.
This sort of language is very characteristic of the material that comes from the source..

What I like most of all is the message- do not accept ANYTHING that is not in accordance with your own carefully considered experience. Do your own reality testing and do not take anything on authority.

Now you might all see why I am so stubborn and resistant to authority. This is the attitude I admire above all other. What a radical founding point for a philosophy!

The rest of the passage goes on to list some real examples of the teaching and its testing.