View Full Version : alternative treatment of ADHD

hershp
06-28-11, 12:18 PM
http://jcdr.net/article_fulltext.asp?issn=0973-709x&year=2010&month=August&volume=4&issue=4&page=3000&id=846

Abstract
ADHD is the most commonly studied and diagnosed psychiatric disorder in children, affecting about 3% to 5% of children globally. The symptoms are frequently comingled with learning problems, oppositional conduct, and depression, which altogether compound the family's emotional burden. Mounting controversy over the widespread use of drugs in the management of AttentionDeficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children. and possible life-threatening effects from its long-term use make it imperative that alternative modalities be implemented for ADHD management. Parents and children express desperation for interventions that will work, but without the adverse effects inflicted by the pharmaceutical management model. Research has proved that an effective alternative modality for treating ADHD in otherwise physically and mentally healthy children would be the regular dedicated practice of the ANULOM – VILOM PRANAYAMA PROCEDURE and the EKA PADASANA by the affected child above age 8-9 yrs and her/his parent, because it has been noted that children practice regularly only if accompanied by their guardians. The benefits are seen immediately, but last only until the procedures are practiced. Hence, to maintain the benefits, daily practice is essential. The results therefore depend on the dedication of the parents towards the child’s improvement.

Kunga Dorji
07-18-11, 08:45 AM
http://jcdr.net/article_fulltext.asp?issn=0973-709x&year=2010&month=August&volume=4&issue=4&page=3000&id=846

I can see that.
Parents need to act as frontal lobes for their kids.
The ordinary course of maturation is that children learn their self soothing and self stabilising skills from their parents.

Equally- we know that kids will study better if they are attuning to the presence of their parents sitting with them reading a book or doing theirown paper work while their kids study.
Having your parents sitting meditating with you would certainly help create the environment that would make it easy.

Dizfriz
07-18-11, 08:54 AM
It looks like many interventions for ADHD. They tend to work only as long as the intervention is being used. Once stopped, the benefits cease. If this is understood as what we normally see with ADHD kids, then this might be a useful tool.

What would be nice would to see some significant carryover.

Dizfriz

Lunacie
07-18-11, 09:05 AM
I can see that.
Parents need to act as frontal lobes for their kids.
The ordinary course of maturation is that children learn their self soothing and self stabilising skills from their parents.

Equally- we know that kids will study better if they are attuning to the presence of their parents sitting with them reading a book or doing theirown paper work while their kids study.
Having your parents sitting meditating with you would certainly help create the environment that would make it easy.

That doesn't work as well when the parents have ADHD themselves. I never learned any self-soothing or self-stabilizing skills, so I was unable to cope when my daughter, and then my grandkids, had trouble with self-soothing. I'd fly off the handle and they learned that reaction from me. We've been very lucky that their state health insurance pays for them to have therapy with people who can teach them those skills.