View Full Version : Vitamin c/ trying to eat right in college

xrayspex27
06-28-11, 01:22 PM
I've been staying away from it because it will prevent my add medicine from working, which has to be a terrible thing to do for an extended period of time, right?

I'm sure avoiding vitamin C is terrible for me, but because of this i'm also not eating a lot of fruits i used to, i'm not taking multi-vitamins, and im not drinking juice.

I'm 25 and I manage a record store, i'm a full time student, with my own apartment, paying for all of it myself. Buying every vitamin on the shelf and just buying whatever says organic isnt really affordable for me.

So how do I live a healthy life and give my body what it needs?

sarahsweets
06-28-11, 01:33 PM
You don't have to avoid that stuff all together I thought it was just in a certain time frame of when you took your meds

BR549
06-28-11, 02:57 PM
Look, you don't have to avoid it totally. It can cause you to absorb less of the medication. Taking an antacid with an amphetamine can cause issues because it can increase the rate at which the drug is absorbed.

If you've noticed that the medication isn't working and you've taken it with vitamin c, juice or otherwise, then you should wait to take the vitamin c/juice. The same with an antacid. A good rule of thumb is waiting to take anything an hour or so (more if necessary) before or after taking your medication. Some people have no problems with taking their amphetamine based meds with vitamin C or citrus juice. It can affect absorbency, but it doesn't mean it will in everyone.

I take my vitamins in the evening before bed. But only because I did notice a decrease in effectiveness of the medication when inadvertently took my vitamin C and Adderall too close together.

tipoo
06-29-11, 10:04 AM
Agreed, there is no reason to avoid it entirely, in fact that's rather unhealthy. Waiting an hour after taking the medicine should be plenty before taking in anything that contains vitamin c.

The thought is that vitamin C changes the acidity of your stomach, changing the absorption rates of the medicine. Once the medicine is on its way down your digestive tract, drinking or eating fruits won't bother it.