View Full Version : Feeling others emotions

tudorose
06-29-11, 07:21 AM
I am assuming this is not just me but I find that I pick up and feel the emotions of others around me. It's hard enough to deal with my own let alone everyone elses.

The only times this has stopped has been when I've been in a mental state where I don't feel much but that's also no way to live.

In recovering from lots of things I've started to let myself feel again but I don't know how to do that and protect myself from picking up in the emotions of others at the same time. Is is possible to have both?

sarek
06-29-11, 08:17 AM
I am also oversensitive to other people's emotions. Its not always easy to find out where mine end and theirs begin.

No too mention that it can be very tiring and wearing me out.

Kunga Dorji
06-29-11, 08:22 AM
I am assuming this is not just me but I find that I pick up and feel the emotions of others around me. It's hard enough to deal with my own let alone everyone elses.

The only times this has stopped has been when I've been in a mental state where I don't feel much but that's also no way to live.

In recovering from lots of things I've started to let myself feel again but I don't know how to do that and protect myself from picking up in the emotions of others at the same time. Is is possible to have both?

Its called "intuitive empathy". It is common to many highly sensitive people- and can really mess with one's attention.

I only realised how much it was happening when I started doing the relaxation and then mindfulness. I find it much easier to manage now- but the mindfulness training I did has exercises to train us in handling this. If you work with compassion based meditation it is possible to learn to project enough positivity to stabilise the people around you. It is actually easier than being a passive sponge for that sort of stuff.

Have you looked at Judith Orloff's work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyap0KBouP0