View Full Version : Speaking of difficulty sleeping.....

slugger
06-29-11, 02:19 PM
I know the topic of falling asleep has been discussed, but I haven't seen specifically if it's normal for ADDers to have a particularly chronic hard time falling asleep.
I don't think I can say I have or had "insomnia" exactly, because once I'm asleep I'm OUT.... In fact when I was young you could have driven a train thru my room and I wouldn't wake up.
But, falling asleep in the first place, all my life as far as I can remember it's been so freaking hard to fall asleep. I mean it would take at the VERY least an hour, if not 3 hours or more, every single night. I could be exhausted, and yet I'd be laying there unable to fall asleep. Been frustrated to tears more than a few times with it.
It's almost always because I cannot turn my mind off. Commonly I'll be thinking of a conversation that either happened or could happen, running thru every word of it over and over in my mind. And I can't stop.

It's been much better since having my kids. Now sometimes it only takes me 20 minutes to fall asleep (YAY!), but sometimes it still takes an hour or more. It's definitely livable now though. At least most of the time.

Anyway, is this pretty common among ADDers, or is this just some unrelated thing for me?

Etcetera
06-29-11, 02:42 PM
As far as I know, it's common for ADHD'ers. Because mind wandering off and always being busy and yaddeya.

At least I know for myself that I need minimum 30 minutes before I fall asleep - even if I am as tired as hell.

slugger
06-29-11, 07:10 PM
I dont' know why this was moved, since my question was whether my difficulty falling asleep was a direct symptom of AD/HD. I even specified that I was not talking about insomnia.

Oh well.

Amtram
06-29-11, 07:18 PM
Because sleep problems are sleep problems, regardless of their origin. I have always had your exact problem - the falling asleep in the first place - but never the benefit of being able to sleep through things after I'm finally out. Then it would take me one or more hours to fall back to sleep after middle of the night wake-ups, and I had a minimum of two of those every night.

The ADD part of it is that once it was dark and quiet, my brain was like a six-year-old finally allowed to play outside after a week of rain.

slugger
06-29-11, 07:41 PM
OK, guess I can see that. I was just wondering, thanks for explaining.

And yeah your last sentence is exactly what happens.... Soon as it's dark and quiet, my brain says "Oh it's time PLAY now!!" Geez....